Nvida 1060/Intel laptop

Hello all.

I just recently installed linux (Manjaro Plasma) on a laptop with an 8th generation i7/ gtx 1060 maxq.

It works really well, but I have a major issue with the laptop closed.
There is really bad ui lag. It takes several seconds for user actions to appear on the screen.

I read that this is an old issue, and is a know bug. I didn’t read a workaround that is acceptable though. People say, don’t close the lid, but then my laptop screen is blocking the screen I am trying to look at.

Having looked through the hardware config, and it’s wiki, I still don’t know what I need to do.

Does some combination of drivers work for what I am trying to do?

I don’t care if I lose access to the igpu. I use it as a desktop replacement anyway, it stays plugged in.

Thanks!

This is a known problem. I am not aware of any real solution. A possible workaround is to set the “lid action” to “do nothing”, and mirror the displays.

In that case you could set up optimus-manager and set it to “nvidia” mode by default.

1 Like

Alright, I look into that, thanks. Do you know if it resolves the issue of having lag on the second display with the laptop closed?

That mirror displays thing works, but only with the lid open. Even when I set it to do nothing.

Also, I somehow missed the top half of your post. I will give that thread a read.

It should.

My bad.

So you are using an external display only and that display is lagging? then yes there is a workaround,thats a bug from nvidia driver that is not fixed yet.

The workaround is to install optimus manager and switch from hybrid (the mode you are right now) to nvidia mode.

pamac build optimus-manager

When you install it,be sure to follow this

Manjaro ships with a default configuration for SDDM (the default login manager for KDE) which overrides some keys needed by optimus-manager. To use optimus-manager, you need to edit the file /etc/sddm.conf and simply put a # before the line starting with DisplayCommand and the one starting with DisplayStopCommand .

When you done,reboot,now you can switch modes in a terminal

optimus-manager --switch integrated
optimus-manager --switch hybrid
optimus-manager --switch nvidia

Switch to nvidia mode,logout and login and now your external display should not be lagging anymore.

1 Like

You can also set the default mode in /etc/optimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf, e.g.

# GPU mode to use at computer startup.
# Possible values: nvidia, integrated, hybrid, auto, intel (deprecated, equivalent to integrated)
# "auto" is a special mode that auto-detects if the computer is running on battery
# and selects a proper GPU mode. See the other options below.
startup_mode=auto
# GPU mode to select when startup_mode=auto and the computer is running on battery.
# Possible values: nvidia, integrated, hybrid, intel (deprecated, equivalent to integrated)
startup_auto_battery_mode=hybrid
# GPU mode to select when startup_mode=auto and the computer is running on external power.
# Possible values: nvidia, integrated, hybrid, intel (deprecated, equivalent to integrated)
startup_auto_extpower_mode=nvidia
1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I will give optiumus a try. I installed it right away when I was setting the machine up, and ended up rebooting to a blackscreen and just reflashing the os. I will read into it a bit before trying again.

For now I found a different work around. My laptop has a thunderbolt port, and I remembered having a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter. It works great except for the audio, but that was a problem on windows as well. Could be the adapter.

Edit: I just did some research and found out that I didn’t set any power management options the last time I tried installing optiums-manager. This is probably why I booted to a black screen.

Before I attempt this again, how can I get out of this with a live iso if I break my system?

If I delete, /etc/optimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf, and restore /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf will that bring it back (neither of these files contain any setting btw)? Maybe timeshift?

Another edit:
I was able to get the audio working correctly by just flipping the type c connector. I can live with that.

Even if you boot to a black screen, you should still probably be able to switch to a virtual TTY by pressing Ctrl+Atl+F1,2,3,… then you should be able to log in, and revert the changes you’ve done. Disabling optimus-manager.service and deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf should probably be enough if it causes any problems.

1 Like