Ntfs3 keeps corrupting my ntfs partitons

There are many characters that are not possible in Windows, that you can have on Linux in file/folder names. I guess you could write them from Linux (space at beginning of file name, quotes, semicolon, things like that) but on Windows that would/could break things I guess. Better safe than sorry.

guys - many thanks !!!
changed it.
luckily i only type asci characters ;-)

throwing my 2 cents.

just because ntfs-3g works with no complaints, dont automatically assume it is superior to ntfs3. i have found many times where ntfs-3g happily working over NTFS partitions, when there were data corruptions detected only in windows utils (i.e. chkdsk). while YMMV with ntfs3, it will atleast reject mounting corrupted NTFS drives while ntfs-3g does not and makes things worse.

unless you’ve created udev rules or edited udisk2 mounting options, by default udisk2 will mount NTFS partitions using ntfs-3g

if you value you data, and need interoperability (windows/linux/macos) resort to exFAT as already suggested.

I have also faced a strange issue with ntfs3 driver. I have an ntfs drive which I access from both Win and Linux. The fstab looks like this.

UUID=189EE0749EE04BB6			   /Documents	 ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,nls=utf8,umask=000,dmask=027,fmask=137,uid=1000,gid=1000,windows_names 0 0
#UUID=189EE0749EE04BB6			   /Documents     ntfs3   defaults,dmask=027,fmask=137,uid=1000,gid=1000,windows_names 0 0

I switched to ntfs3. Everything seems to work ok. I checked one of my file in Linux, it opened fine. I saved it. Then I went to Win and opened the same file. The content of the were blank. I did not save it and again went to linux and found the file is blank here as well. I switched back to ntfs-3g and copied the same file from back-up and repeated the same process but did not find any issue of file contents. I again repeated and went to ntfs3 but to my surprise, the same issue got repeated. For fear of losing file contents, I did not open any other file either in linux or Win and finally switched back to ntfs-3g

Do not know what was wrong with my approach and why the file contents were becoming blank with ntfs3.

windows_names is not a valid ntfs3 option.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v6.1/filesystems/ntfs3.html

probably produces an error on mount.

NTFS3 — The Linux Kernel documentation (for your current kernel according to your profile)

yes, unless you are running kernel 6.2.x or later;

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v6.2/filesystems/ntfs3.html

I am running linux hardened 6.4.6 kernel

Hence the indication

I also looked at the current LTS 6.1 documentation, still no windows_names, I didn’t assume he was using the latest non LTS kernel indeed.

Maybe update your profile :stuck_out_tongue:

I have recently reinstalled Manjaro wiping out all previous data. So I do not know if changing profile would help.

I do not have a spare machine so that I can experiment with ntfs3. Anyway ntfs-3g is working fine.
Thanks everyeone for your help.

Your forum profile, saying you are using kernel 5.18.

Probably forgot to update the info then?

First line in OP: xD

:sweat_smile: ajaychat3 is not robotnik. Also I provided the 5.18 and 6.1 documentation that both do not support windows_names as a valid option for ntfs3. No big deal no need to beat that dead horse too much I guess.

LOL, and here I was trying to be the nice guy. MB… xD
:man_facepalming: :joy:

Thanks. Done.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.