NTFS3 disk errors when torrenting

It goes without saying: be safe. Make sure that you are not accidentally destroying irreplaceable data when formatting a new filesystem.

I hate to sound repetitive, but remember to first remove the package exfat-utils and then install the package exfatprogs before you format and mount. Otherwise, it will mount the exFAT filesystem via fuseblk :-1: instead of the kernelā€™s native exfat driver :+1: .

Thankfully, the latest versions of KDE Partition Manager automatically detect whether your system has exfat-utils or exfatprogs available. :slight_smile:

I prefer to use the noatime mount option for my exFAT partitions (well, for any partition, really.)

Well i was going to that today earlier but iā€™ve seen way too many reports about exFAT causing file corruptionā€¦ i got cold feet and moved back to ntfs downloading directly to ntfs partition using ntfs3 can be mitigated by first downloading somewhere then movingā€¦ which is really inconvenient but better than data loss, im going to format some thumb drives with exFAT first, lets see how that goesā€¦

Native exFAT in the mainline kernel? Or when using the fuseblk method?

For some reason Manjaro still ships without exfatprogs in favor of exfat-utils. :person_shrugging: Remember, Samsung developed and maintained exfatprogs/exFAT for Linux to use on their vast array of mobile devices running Linux. If I had to pick, Iā€™d trust them more than Paragon. :wink:

I would be just as tentative (perhaps even more so) about invaluable data being stored on an NTFS filesystem with Linux.

my reaction if you had led with that info i wouldā€™ve done that already :smiley:
unfortunately its a little late now but iā€™ll do that for my gaming partition since i dont have any sensitive data there.

that is true but iā€™ve been using ntfs on linux for the past decade and never once had any data loss issues.

i have totally agree with what omano said here. i regularly torrent download (via qbitorrent) to a NTFS partition mounted with ntfs3. the only time i ean into major issues was when i had powerloss which ended up corrupting MFT tables of NTFS which required chkdsk to correct.

So im using exfat now with exfatprogs as mentioned by @winnie above, just tested with steam/proton and it worked just fine.

This is what iā€™ve done in my fstab file: (credits)

the extra setup bellow is useful if you are using another partition for your SteamLibrary instead of your default ~/.steam/root/steamapps/ one, because you need it to be mounted before you can bind it (you also need permissions)

#ext4 gamedisk
UUID=b8d0aac6-26b1-4ca0-bc5c-19d5a3821ea5 /mnt/gamedisk  ext4    defaults,noatime 0 2

#exfat-gamedisk
UUID=63CF-FE64                            /mnt/gamedisk-exfat   exfat  noatime,nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,uid=ian,gid=ian,rw,user,exec,umask=000 0 0
#exfat steam prefix and shadercache binds
/mnt/gamedisk/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/ /mnt/gamedisk-exfat/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata none defaults,bind 0 0
/mnt/gamedisk/SteamLibrary/steamapps/shadercache/ /mnt/gamedisk-exfat/SteamLibrary/steamapps/shadercache none defaults,bind 0 0

For your info exfat-utils has been removed in the root packages and replaced with exfatprogs so newer ISOā€™s will be OK.

1 Like