NTFS Drive - write permission on Manjaro KDE

I am new on Manjaro and I have 3 NTFS drives with alot of data on it. When I mount it on my newly installed Manjaro KDE, I can only read the files but can not create or edit files or folders.
How can I give my drives permissions so I can access it like I was doing it on Windows?
I want to mount all drives with full access permissions. Currently I have 3 drives with NTFS and 1 ssd in which I have installed Manjaro. I want those 3 drivers fully accessible.
I searched on forum but can not find the same problem and solution. So posting a new topic.
Please help.
Thank you!

Usually this is due to the NTFS file system being “dirty”. Reboot into Windows and run a full check disk with repair (but not with a surface/sector scan!)

If you don’t have a Windows system available, you can try ntfsfix, though I’ve seen mixed results with it, so use caution:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXX

—> The safer approach is to fix it in Windows <—

If you don’t believe the above describes your issue, can you paste the output from,

mount

after you mount the partition.

(At least the line that contains the mount information of your NTFS partition.)

2 Likes

I dont have Windows anymore but I dont want to lose data by converting partitions to ext4.
Let me try those steps.
Edit : Here is the last line contains information of my one mounted partition. I just mounted one for safety reason.

/dev/sdd1 on /run/media/username/CORE type fuseblk (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)

Correct me if i’m wrong but in your mount you use ro? that stands for read only if i’m not mistaken?
Just a thought, i’m not using any ntfs disks

While the drive is currently unmounted (and preferably from a clean reboot):

sudo mount -v -o rw,x-mount.mkdir /dev/sdd1 /run/media/username/CORE

Replace sdd1, username, and CORE with what you use on your system.

Then check if it’s still being mounted as read-only (ro):

mount | grep sdd1

Then check current messages for any hints as to why it’s mounting it as read-only, using Up Arrow and Down Arrow to navigate if necessary. Press “q” to exit the log viewer:

journalctl -k -g mount

You can then umount and remove the temporary directory when you’re done:

sudo umount /dev/sdd1
sudo rmdir /run/media/username/CORE

This is the default behavior if the NTFS file system is considered “dirty” for the sake of preventing any further damage to the metadata.

1 Like

@winnie
Thanks, i didn’t know that :grinning:

I just click on my drives on file manager and it mounts automatically… dont know about ro or rw.

Check if ntfs-3g is installed on your system. If it’s not, install it from Manjaro repository.
There are three things to do in your fstab.

1. Mount your ntfs partitions to remove the potential locks, like so

/dev/sda1	/mnt/<folder_you_created_1>	ntfs-3g	remove_hiberfile
      /dev/sda2	/mnt/<folder_you_created_2>	ntfs-3g	remove_hiberfile
      /dev/sda3	/mnt/<folder_you_created_3>	ntfs-3g	remove_hiberfile

(i assume your ntfs partitions are /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3, but it can be different, check with lsblk in console)

2. In console, do : sudo mount -a, then umount these 3 partitions.

sudo umount /mnt/<folder_you_created_1>
     sudo umount /mnt/<folder_you_created_2>
     sudo umount /mnt/<folder_you_created_3>

3. Then comment out these three previous entries in fstab and mount them normally, like so :

/dev/sda1 /mnt/<folder_you_created_1> ntfs-3g gid=1000,dmask=007,fmask=007,noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
      /dev/sda2 /mnt/<folder_you_created_2> ntfs-3g gid=1000,dmask=007,fmask=007,noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
      /dev/sda3 /mnt/<folder_you_created_3> ntfs-3g gid=1000,dmask=007,fmask=007,noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

(I assume the group id of your user is 1000).

sudo mount -a

With fmask=007, you will have -rwxrwx— permission for files
and dmask=007, you will have drwxrwx— permission for folders.

You can change them of course, and now your partitions will be well mounted at start.

1 Like

@Mayanktaker What were the results in the above steps from earlier?

You can have read/write permission only with ntfs-3g, otherwise you only have read access

1 Like

The problem is we still don’t know if their NTFS file-system is marked as “dirty”. That’s why it’s good to find out why it keeps being mounted as read-only. Sometimes ntfsfix is enough to correct this. Other times it requires a full check disk from a Window PC. :worried:

When my NTFS file-system is marked as dirty, ntfs-3g still mounts it as read-only, even when explicitly invoking the “rw” mount option. Scanning / fixing the file-system (either with ntfsfix or using Windows) is the only way to safely get it to allow read-write access under Linux.

If one wants to have his Windows 10 disk available in Manjaro, he needs to disable the feature in Windows 10 and reboot.

Unfortunately, they do not have access to a Windows PC. I believe these are external drives?

From a pure-Linux environment, I can only hope that “ntfsfix” is enough to correct any underlying issues without requiring a full check disk from a Windows PC.

This is only related to dual booting, re-read the initial post please, it’s completely out of scope and you are provoking confusion for the OP

As far as i know it was not the original issue.
If the OP mount with ntfs-3g, we’ll see.
You are over complicating things.

The proper way though is to use Windows 10, unfortunately, if these Windows features have been left enabled on the disk.

1 Like

I’m not. I provided troubleshooting steps for a common NTFS issue, then you interjected into the thread with extra commands and redundant steps involving uid and gid. We don’t even know if they are internal or external drives, but why assume these were all internal drives used with hibernation? A more likely case is they are 3 external drives formatted as NTFS back when they used a Windows PC. We’re still waiting for the original poster to clarify this for us. (Or they’re all internal in a desktop PC, still waiting on the OP.)

ntfs-3g does not need to be explicitly invoked in order to mount an NTFS file-system with “read-write” permissions.

Simply using the mount command is enough:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/ntfs

Yields this:

/dev/nvme0n1p4 on /mnt/ntfs type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

I have full read-write access to my NTFS partition.

Using Dolphin file manager (as the OP did), simply clicking on the NTFS file-system yields full read-write access as well.

However, if the NTFS file-system is marked as “dirty”, it doesn’t matter what options you include in your mount command, and it doesn’t matter if you manually invoke ntfs-3g. It will still be mounted as read-only in order to protect the NTFS file-system.

Here is a similar thread for reference, in which ntfsfix was all that was needed to resolve the read-only issue:

So let’s wait on the OP for clarifications. They did not yet provide the output from the previous commands which can hint to what the underlying problem is.

1 Like

The simplest solution here is too mount the disks as read only, copy the content to another drive, usb thumbdrive or usb harddisk or wathever. This way you don’t have to deal with a dirty ntfs filesystem.

but i agree with others that it is better to let Windows fix the filesystem first but since you don’t have access to Windows any more this is a viable option.

1 Like

Even if you don’t have Windows installed you can use Hiren’s BootCD - which is a Windows PE rescue environment - read more in this topic