Nouveau and Nvidia driver

I don’t game in Linux at all but I got frustrated by the very high GPU temps/power consumption even when my PC is idle. So I’ve been looking for solutions to lessen my GPU temp/power consumption when using linux, been distro hopping, to no avail, until now. Finally switched from Nvidia driver to Nouveau. Now my power consumption never goes above 26 watts and my temps are doing great.

So my question is, I read Nouveau is around 20% performance of the GPU, aside from this, is there any thing else I will be missing when using Nouveau?

As you didn’t provide any system information like an inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width, it depends, so giving you the tools to determine yourself whether or not you are.

If you have a look at the Nouveau Feature Matrix and see:

• Only green: No you’re not missing out on anything
  • Mostly green, without red: No you’re not missing out on anything
  • Some or a lot of red: Well, that’s the stuff you’re missing! (unless you’re not using it, in which case: No you’re not missing out on anything!)

:+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much @Fabby . By the looks of it I’m using NV124, with that table looks like am not missing anything important. Finally I’m satisfied with my setup and relieved knowing this.

1 Like

I’ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (I just want to avoid even more subjective opinions being posted and confusing you even more)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most :
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

1 Like

My bad. Thank you for doing it for me. Will keep that in mind and do the same next time for sure! Have a great day and thank you for taking the time replying to my concern.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.