Note to Linux Pros- Architect for Noobs

I don't think it assumes you are an IT person. Lots of non-IT people use it all the time. However, it is optimized to get the job done quickly and efficiently because......that is what it is for. The idea of architect is that someone has something they want to accomplish and it helps them do it.

The idea of Architect as a teaching tool is interesting but the problem with documentation like that is we are all volunteers and someone actually has to be motivated to write all of that documentation.

Additionally, you are talking about some fairly complicated topics. How to partition disks, the pros and cons of choosing all the various filesystems, considerations around LVM and decisions on what/how to encrypt are lengthy topics that are difficult to summarize in a meaningful way. That is just the topics from one section of the menu.

Other decisions such as which DE to choose are solely a matter of personal preference and there very few legitimate pros/cons.

When you put all that together, you are ultimately asking for someone to make a fairly substantial investment of their personal time to pull all of that together.

That being said, if this is a topic you are passionate about, why not take the project on yourself? Nothing that you select in the installation process takes elite technology skills to understand. It just takes the patience to learn what each thing is. For the most part, that documentation is already out there in various forums and is not Manjaro specific.

3 Likes

I would love to. I have an academic background and organizing a fully detailed exhaustive architect guide would be up my ally. My problem is that at the moment, I'm far closer to the noob end of the spectrum. I could try to start putting something together. - Is there a way to take a screenshot from within the Architect installer? Would screenshot be available from the parent OS if Architect is run from the desktop selection on a live USB?

All of the ISOs have Architect on them.

If you use one of the live ISOs with a desktop your life will be easier.

You can then use a web browser, screenshot tools, take notes, etc.

2 Likes

You can just update the Wiki

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Installation_with_Manjaro_Architect

1 Like

When running Architect from the desktop of a live ISO is it run in a special small VM or just inside a regular terminal?

A normal terminal.

You should be able to mount one of the partitions of your normal install from the live ISO so you have save data.

Alternatively, just use a VM to run Architect from.

1 Like

In Romanian we call it HORA, because everybody involved dances in circles ...

1 Like

It runs inside the terminal because it's really just a TUI script.

I personally do not find it bad because I've used Architect on many desktops/laptops and many VMs, and I did it all exactly the same, minus choosing a different DE. And choosing GRUB or rEFInd.

I mean "bad" from the standpoint of installing it in a VM instead of onto a disk causes some steps to be glossed over in instructions in videos or forums, websites, etc. "I can skip this step because I'm in a VM." when the step they skip is something I wanted to learn about.

This is strange to me because when I install via architect in a VM, I do it exactly as I do on actually hardware.

The only thing that should be different between a VM and bare metal is drivers which is a very small portion of the install. Again, I suspect what you are seeing is poor quality videos more than actual differences in using a VM.

I wish I could remember exactly what they skipped, but it was about 5 weeks ago. I'll try to find a couple examples.

Virtualbox is a great and extremely useful program, and you can learn much from it.

Say you've done a base install with a window manager, and then you have no idea what to do and how to set up stuff, what more packages you need and so on. Then you can load up other distros in a WM, and investigate how they've configured stuff, what packages they've installed etch, and then emulate that on the real machine.

But it can't substitute a real install on bare metal, for learning, in my opinion. If I have a real install and it's just a windowsmanager, don't even know how to start a friggin' program, then I'm just forced to learn quickly and more thorough. A WM makes you more lazy, nothing is really at stake.

1 Like

IMO video tutorials are totally pointless for Linux (but fine for Windows). Usually the quickest method that is the least error prone to accomplish anything is in the terminal (unlike Windoze).

It could take tons of verbiage with hard to focus close up shots in a video to explain what could be accomplished with a simple one line command in the terminal. That is why Linux tutorials are far more suited to using text instead of videos.

Video tutorials are a like a disgusting Windoze afterbith that needs to be severed along with the umbilical cord when attempting to depart the Windoze ecosphere. You need to make a clean cut and leave that Windoze mentality behind. The quicker you lose your nasty Windows habits, the quicker you will start learning Linux.

There is nothing quicker, and less prone to misinterpretation than a command that can be copied/pasted from a tutorial/wiki into the terminal for execution. This also generates error logs if there is a problem that are very helpful in diagnosing the cause if problems occur. There is a good reason why text based tutorials have been used in Linux since the day it was invented. They are the superior method for giving instructions that can be accurately carried out even by complete newbies.

Quit trying to reinvent the wheel when the round version has proven the best over the long haul.

4 Likes

Hehe, I never watched video tutorials until I came to linux. Unlike with windows problems, tons of linux videos comes up when you search for solutions to problems.

I don't follow video tutorials, but I do watch them to get a general idea on how to go about doing that I want to achieve, before reading more in depth. Generally I try to get many sources and many angles to a problem, and these days videos have just become a natural part of that. And then you go about your actual problem, and see what of what you've read and watched apply to your specific case.

There are also some great youtube channels out there, where beginners can learn some good stuff.

For example, I've just come to windows manager, and more configuring stuff. Then I watch youtube stuff like the channel below just to get general info, and also have a good time. It is interesting stuff, and then I have a good start and know a little more about what to search for and read:

1 Like

If you are talking about what various Linux desktops look like, then sure a video is better suited to that. Technical topics are far better explained via easily copied/pasted terminal commands IMO.

1 Like

No, not just that, hehe.

At some point I want a server in the basement, for example. Then I watch videos about it. When the time comes I'll actually go about it, I will not watch videos, but read. But I'll have a much better idea about where to start and what to look for.

There's nothing wrong with videos. But you've gotta take them for what they are, I don't think anyone have claimed them to be more than that. They are great linux infotainment for linux beginners, and in that sense a good help.

2 Likes

I think you will find a lot of the experts who help out on the forum who will disagree with that statement. Many of these videos have led to constant problems after being posted by newbies who have no clue what they are talking about.

1 Like

All text tutorials I've found, including the Manjaro Architect Wiki and the "How to" guide in the forum do not come close to explaining every option.

Well that's why there are 26 volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica if you want everything in the world spelled out for you. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by