Not booting with kernel 6.8, infinite "3-dots manjaro logo animation"

I think the reason is that by default all drives should be checked for damage before being mounted (the very last number 0,1 or 2 is the filesystem check priority). Because mounting something broken can break it even more. But for example external drives are not always connected and thus if not found cannot be checked that is why nofail exists to allow the boot process to continue if a drive is missing.

so, if I understand well, adding this “nofail” flag to my fstab config for this windows volume might not be causing problems in my system, as my system doesn’t rely on it, right?

Yes but this is emergency failback, you have to check why it is not mounting in the first place (dirty bit or wrong options, as shown in the solution.)

Yes but this is emergency failback, you have to check why it is not mounting in the first place (dirty bit or wrong options, as shown in the solution.)

definitely wrong options. it works now with the flags Linux-Aarhus gave me rw,umask=0000,noatime,iocharset=utf8, I was just wondering why and how the magic worked, and how I could prevent this behaviour without compromising my system.

Well thank You all for the help, I kinda learnt a lot with this.

This is no doubt one the very reasons that the ntfs3 kernel driver was chosen in preference to ntfs-3g.

ntfs3 checks for an indication of damage (a dirtry bit) to an NTFS volume before mounting it, and if finds the dirty bit, it refuses to mount the volume.

This security measure is a layer of protection that ntfs-3g simply does not have. Instead, ntfs-3g ignores the dirty bit, completely.

ntfs3 :vulcan_salute: -
“It looks like this NTFS volume is damaged. You better run chkdsk on it as soon as possible.”

ntfs-3g :cowboy_hat_face: -
“Whatever, dude… :notes: a mounting we will go, a mounting we will go… :notes:

It always seems to be when something breaks…
that we learn the most… Why is that?! :person_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.