Not able to boot after Kernel Update

I have updated to Kernel 5.14, and as I wanted to to boot into it I noticed it is not showing in GRUB, and neither of the previously installed Kernels is bootable now, they all give me the following error message:

error: file '/boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64' not found. 
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue....

What can i do?

Kernel 5.14 is EOL, so it’s pointless to try installing it. Better is to use either 5.4, 5.10 or 5.15. The former two are LTS kernels, and the latter is scheduled to become LTS when 5.16 is officially declared stable.

That is usually the result of an interrupted update process. The kernels are only installed at the end of the update process, but the old kernels are removed at the beginning of the update process. So if you interrupt the process, then you are left with an unbootable system.

What you can do is boot up from the installer medium in live mode. Then, open up a terminal and issue the following commands…

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a
pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
mhwd-kernel -i linux54 linux510
update-grub
sync
exit
systemctl reboot

Don’t forget to cross your fingers… :wink: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I might have explained that wrong. I did actually just install the additional Kernel without removing the other installed ones. Should i still proceed in the following way?

Yes, you do, because the update process always removes the installed kernels first in order to install their updated versions later. So right now, you don’t have any working kernel, which is why your system won’t boot.

2 Likes

Thank you, it worked! Middle earth will never forget that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.