Normal.mod not fround, entering rescue mod HELP! :(

I want to use manjaro alongside my windows 7. I tried dual boot but every time it gives me that error… How can I fix that ? What is the true way this installation. My disks should be how ?

This grub error usually indicates that grub can’t find /boot/grub or /boot/grub/i386-pc

Are you sure that there is a /boot/grub folder on a partition that grub uses to boot?

For a dual boot system it is best to install Windows first. Windows often overwrites the boot loader (grub) if Windows is on the same HD as Manjaro. So you need a live system to fix that if it happens.

Try first to boot to your installed Manjaro OS using the configfile mwthod..

If you cannot boot up to the installed OS, then boot up to livecd OS.

Let us know what you booted up, installed OS or livecd.
At that terminal,

sudo parted -l
cat /proc/cmdline
sudo blkid
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
cat /etc/fstab

note: last line ’ cat /etc/fstab’ - if from livecd, use file manager and go to manjaro install OS partition and find it.

I tr’ed to f’nd i386 pc but I couldnt find it. Yes, there is boot and grup folders but they dont have i386-pc

Can someone tell me, how should the disk partitions,

Print out your current list of your partitions and on which you had installed what: sudo parted -l

Model: ATA ST750LM022 HN-M7 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB primary ntfs
2 525MB 226GB 225GB primary ntfs
3 226GB 521GB 295GB primary ntfs

Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4037MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.8kB 1808MB 1808MB primary boot
2 1808MB 1812MB 4194kB primary esp

And I have bios not uefi btw

Hello,

@hsntngr, first I’m about to clarify that you only have one system installed, this mean only Windows 7, so currently there is no dual boot system installed yet. All partitions in /dev/sda are NTFS which should be used for Windows, and /dev/sdb maybe only for Boot and EFI system partition.
So there is no root partition for Manjaro, maybe that’s why you entered “rescue mod”, and for “normal.mod” error, I suggest you properly install Manjaro first then this error will fix.

I think there is something wrong here in “/dev/sdb” but maybe I’m wrong, cause AFAIK esp partition require GPT table, and you use msdos table. Is that your Manjaro bootable media?

EDIT: is it possible to install Manjaro in NTFS file system? I’m confused.

Regards.

Hi @yerri thanks for your answer.

I tried dual boot several time but none of them didn’t work, gave me same error, so last time I deleted manjaro disks.

And you are rigt dev/sdb is my bootable media. I’m using it for using my computer

Edit: as I know it is not possible so I chose ext4 at everytime

Maybe you want to try to reinstall Manjaro?

@yerri Yes I want that… But I cant figure out how to set disk partitions ?

Edit: I watched youtube videos but all videos about uefi system. I couldn’t find for bios system

I think you can find user guide for installation alongside other OS and bios system in this link https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/release/17.0.6/

Yes there is a installation guide… but its for win 10…(meanwhile for uefi system) I guess I have to turn back ubuntu… I am trying to just “boot” for 14 hours… I dont want to use that anymore

Edit: Thanks for your all help @yerri

@hsntngr I’m so sorry to hear about that, I don’t have my laptop right now. I need my laptop for my reference to guide you prepare disk. That’s why I only could give you link for installation. As I remember, msdos table only have max 4 partition on it, so your choice only create 1 extend partition and then create some logical partitions for root and swap and maybe home partition if you want. It’s hard for me to remember step by step to install like that without my laptop in front of me.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.