Nordvpn-bin and steamclient

Well … what did you do?

The simple configuration is having systemd-resolvconf installed (and for openvpn vpns I might suggest openvpn-update-systemd-resolved as well).
Beyond that you should get rid of or back up /etc/resolv.conf and make that path a symlink to /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf

By default this would normally land you with the 1.1.1.1 DNS resolver … so it pointing to a local IP means theres something else at work like dhcp or something.

You can see a workout of what I do (and how to configure DNS) here:

I dont even know I would go that far … its not so much a problem (as in bug) as it is that resolvconf is old and should be considered deprecated, but manjaro ships with it by default, while most VPNs assume you are using the systemd variant.
I know I wrote a guide explaining it in reference to controlling DNS like 2 forums ago.

the reason I started messing with this is because I remember connecting to nordvpn right after boot. Ever since I started messing around, now nordvpn service is inactive (dead) for 2 minutes after reboot, it used be active pretty much instantly beforehand. then I saw that systemd-networkd-wait-online.service takes 2 minutes to load for some reason (I think it just times out) and only then I could use nordvpn

Maybe
https://man.archlinux.org/man/NetworkManager.conf.5#CONNECTIVITY_SECTION

So, in my case, I’ve blanked it out:

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf

[connectivity]
uri=
#uri=https://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt

Oh, and I also just disabled the service;

systemctl disable --now systemd-networkd-wait-online.service 
$ systemctl status systemd-networkd-wait-online.service 
○ systemd-networkd-wait-online.service - Wait for Network to be Configured
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service; disabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:systemd-networkd-wait-online.service(8)

strangely, it says that the service does not exist

…its provided by package systemd and has been for some time.
Maybe make sure of your typing?

I am sure, what is more,

does not exist as a file (folder conf.d in NM is empty)

Odd. I guess we can look for it manually:

find /usr/lib/systemd/system -type f -name systemd-resolved.service

Thats expected. The user should create the file.
(as is customary with systemd directories with .d … thats where you can place overriding configs)

I really should go to bed, I did have a typo, but not a letter. I used a dot instead of hyphen in the name of the service. Network is up and running. I guess I will have to learn to live with the problems mentioned at the start of the thread. Thank you so much for helping me

So looking at your OP it seems you are using dhcpd. So whatever other configurations are at play there. I also noticed you said

Is that accurate? And desirable?
Usually with a VPN you want to use their DNS when it is activated, for any number of reasons, but reliable connectivity would be one.

that’s the whole point, using NordVPN DNS on a ubuntu laptop results in no issues whatsoever.
When I am using same NordDNS 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100 on Manjaro, google.com does not work, a lot of other websites don’t work either, but not all, some work (pinging google.com I get 192.0.0.88). Steamclient does not work with any DNS as long as I am using a VPN, however steamclient works well on my ubuntu laptop, with VPN on.
It’s just weird.

And do you have the corresponding configurations?
If this is an openvpn thing then I still highly suggest having openvpn-update-systemd-resolved installed, even if it is missing from the pkg depends.

sorry, forgot to mention I am using nordlynx (Nord’s version of wireguard) on both systems.

Ah … then I’m not sure.
I recall adding some extra scripted actions when I set up my wireguard connections.
I dont know about nords particularly, though the clients have gone through changes and no longer allow signing on with username/password instead of tokens.
Theres a few comments on the AUR page:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nordvpn-bin

I think I am just doing the extreme and reinstalling manjaro this weekend. Didnt want to reinstall steam because I will have to download my entire library again but if I am going to do it anyway, might as well reinstall Manjaro.

I will report if there are any changes to the way the network and nordvpn behave after complete wipe.

If you have another partition close by you could create a new SteamLibrary on that, in Steam Settings; then fully close Steam; and manually copy/move contents of the existing SteamLibrary to there.

After a reinstall, you could recreate the same new SteamLibrary in Steam Settings.

That should work, at least, at face value.

I know, but I just don’t want to bother, besides I am buying a new SSD tomorrow or on Friday and will use for multiboot purposes. This one’s too old already, it’s got 5 years on it, and it is only 500GB

Fair enough. Though, having each OS on a separate disk, is always the safest approach, in a multiboot environment. Let’s hope you never have to find out why. :wink:

So I reinstalled the system and the problem persists: Nord’s own DNS are not working when trying to access google.com (but they do work when I try to access it through my ubuntu installation), as well as steam loses connection once connected to a VPN server. This also does not happen in ubuntu
So I’d blame it on the AUR package. Anyway, it was fun tinkering around.

By the way, I specifically remember my package manager prior to formatting would show package ratings (5 star rating left by users). Now I cannot see that, not sure what package manager I used in my previous install. Any ideas?

None; except to say that ratings left by random visitors are not always a good indicator of how fit for purpose any particular software may be.

You still have to change your resolver from openresolv to systemd-resolved.

And believe me - I use Nord VPN frequently - no issues on Manjaro - when using systemd-resolved.

The Arch wiki on nordvpn even carries a link to the topic linked to abovie

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NordVPN#Setting_systemd-resolved_as_DNS_resolver

If you were on Ubuntu it could be the Gnome Software.

That would be a steam issue but more likely because you still use openresolv as this is the default on a Manjaro install.