Can't mount NTFS USB-Stick

The device shows up using lsblk

I am sure that the stick is not broken. It can be opened easily on Windows and Mac computers.

Care to share the output of sudo lsblk --fs between ``` ?

First ensure the filesystem is not damaged - use a Windows computer for that check.

Secondly ensure the stick is safely unmounted from the Windows check - use the safe eject function in the Windows File Manager.

Then try mounting it manually to the temporary mount point - replace Xy with your device/partition. e.g. sdy1

sudo mount /dev/sdXy /mnt

Check for any error messages - and if none check the content by listing the files on the mountpoint

ls /mnt

I got a hunch the OP thinks it isn’t mounted because he does not see it appear automatically in Dolphin when he plugs his USB-Stick in…

The output of sudo lsblk --fs is :

NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                         
├─sda1
│    vfat   FAT32       657E-6E6E                             299,1M     0% /boot/efi
├─sda2
│    ext4   1.0         4537e9d9-4f66-45fa-8a38-a7b00b21a69b  180,5G     9% /
└─sda3
     swap   1           127b444d-2607-4635-8eff-58683e511be9                [SWAP]
sdb                                                                         
└─sdb1
     ntfs         HDD0  0C02651F02650F50                                    
sdc                                                                         
├─sdc1
│    ntfs         Wiederherstellung
│                       5CDAC7DFDAC7B414                                    
├─sdc2
│    vfat   FAT32       74CA-23B4                                           
├─sdc3
│                                                                           
├─sdc4
│    ntfs               5490CD3190CD19FE                                    
└─sdc5
     ntfs               C606E4E706E4DA07                                    
sdd                                                                         
└─sdd1
     exfat  1.0   MARIO 164D-C59B                                           
sr0 

As I mentioned earlier, the device is not defective. I can use it normally on Windows, Mac and my laptop with openSUSE Tumbleweed.

This is the USB-Stick i suppose?

That’s not the case. When I try to mount the device via Dolphin’s mount dialog, I get an error that the mount has failed.

Exactly, thats the device.

Could you try systemd-mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/USB-Stick and tell us of any errors?
To see related messages: systemctl status /mnt/USB-Stick

It fails with the following error: Job failed. See “journalctl -xe” for details.

:wink:

The result of systemctl status /mnt/USB-Stick is:

● mnt-USB\x2dStick.mount - /mnt/USB-Stick
     Loaded: loaded (/run/systemd/transient/mnt-USB\x2dStick.mount; transient)
  Transient: yes
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-10-25 12:16:19 CET; 6min ago
      Where: /mnt/USB-Stick
       What: /dev/sdd1

Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro systemd[1]: Mounting /mnt/USB-Stick...
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro mount[6799]: FUSE exfat 1.3.0
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro mount[6799]: ERROR: 'user@domain.ovpn' is empty but start cluster is 0x461.
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro mount[6799]: ERROR: 'user@domain.ovpn' is empty but marked as contiguous (0x20).
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro mount.exfat[6799]: 'user@domain.ovpn' is empty but start cluster is 0x461
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro systemd[1]: mnt-USB\x2dStick.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro mount.exfat[6799]: 'user@domain.ovpn' is empty but marked as contiguous (0x20)
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro systemd[1]: mnt-USB\x2dStick.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Okt 25 12:16:19 mario-manjaro systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/USB-Stick.

As you can see in those messages, your USB-Stick is not NTFS formated…
I personally have no experience with exfat
You can now systemd-umount /mnt/USB-Stick to clean the mount attempt from systemd.
Maybe others can help further with exfat.

Thanks for your help, that’s a bit surprising. I can’t remember formatting the stick with exFat.

At least now I can look for the right solution.

If you specify the wrong file system in a systemd mount unit - it will fail.

And if sdd1 is your usb stick you will have change the mount unit or fstab to use the correct filesystem - exfat.

Since when is a USB-Stick configured statically in fstab at all?
The systemd-mount command i gave does “auto-probe” :wink:

I have used static mount points when scripts targeting removable devices and the devices was required at specific mount point.

So yes it is a viable method in fstab - but now I find systemd more viable for such tasks.

If you are sure you formatted the stick with nfts and Linux sees the stick as exfat - then it is most likely the filesystem is damaged.

I would - If it is readable in Windows - salvage what can be salvaged and then partition/format the stick.

I’m trying this one.

It looks like that might have been the case. I have access to the stick in Windows, the data is safe and I can format the stick. Now it can also be mounted on Manjaro.

2 Likes