None of the wallpaper apps works

With the last update Gnome was upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2. Now the draw-backround key in the gsettings does not exist anymore. With the consequence that none of the wallpaper apps works. Before I had different wallpapers on two monitors with Hydrapaper. Now the whole wallpaper configuration is a big ■■■■■

What applications and what doesn’t work? Hydrapaper works just fine. You might check to make sure you have gnome-backgrounds installed.

Sure, gnome-backgrounds is installed. Starting Hydrapaper returns this:

(org.gabmus.hydrapaper:52996): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 16:56:10.772: gtk_widget_set_parent: assertion '_gtk_widget_get_parent (widget) == NULL' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/__main__.py", line 221, in do_command_line self.do_activate()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/__main__.py", line 153, in do_activate self.window = HydraPaperAppWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/app_window.py", line 36, in __init__ self.headerbar = HydraPaperHeaderbar(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/headerbar.py", line 38, in __init__
    self.folders_view = HydraPaperWallpapersFoldersView(window)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/wallpapers_folders_view.py", line 24, in __init__ self.folder_store = FolderStore()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/folder_store.py", line 35, in __init__ self.populate()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/folder_store.py", line 40, in populate obj = FolderObj(folder['path'], folder['active'])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/hydrapaper/folder_store.py", line 13, in __init__  assert(path.is_dir())
AssertionError

Nitrogen shows all available Backgrounds. But the apply button does nothing. The selected background does not show up.

Since your issues are not related to the thread you posted in, I’ve moved it to a new thread.

Please edit your post to use proper formatting.

Also please use / translate to English. We also have a #languages:deutsch section if you’d rather speak in German.

1 Like

Sorry, it is in English now. And hopefully the formatting is correct, too.

In Superpaper the apply button does not work either.

It is now. :wink:

Did you install hydrapaper from the Manjaro community repo? You should have 3.3.1-1.

If you installed it from the AUR, it’s probably worth trying to rebuild it. I’ve had this experience with aur packages that use certain python libraries after an update. If this solves your issue, then you can install and run checkrebuild after every update to see which apps may require a rebuild.

It is hydrapaper 3.3.1-1 from the community repo.
And I compiled nitrogen myself because the repo version gave me the error that the key draw-background does not exist in the gnome gsettings. The compiled version starts without any error message, but then again the apply button does NOT apply any selected background.

Where can I find that?

Any idea, why hydrapaper works for you but not for me?
What do the apply buttons connect to in the background? I’m using gnome under xorg.

I think the package name in repos is rebuild-detector.

Yes, that’s it. Thanx!

Hydrapaper keeps giving the error as shown in my earlier message. Obviously it has to do with the upgrade from Gnome 4.1 to 4.2. No ideas from the developers’ side?

Is anyone else having an issue with Hydrapaper?

Anyway, you say you’re having issues with other wallpaper applications, not just Hydrapaper. That tells me there’s something wrong locally on your system causing the issue.