No wired network (Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411)

I guess this is punishment for spending a day on Windows.
I am unable to connect to mt local wired network, unable to see my router at all in the browser
When I boot a live usb or in windows my network is available and all working normally but when I boot back into my Manjaro XFCE there is nothing. I am tempted to just re image the drive but I suspect I will likely run into the same issue as soon as it updates and figure it has something to do with the updates from the 23rd, since this is the last time I was on that install.

yet no driver for kernel 4.11 (2017-11-27)

@RobM
The solution could be to remove blacklist from /etc/modules-load.d

If you run into trouble after update, it might be necessary to apply the blacklist again as per @muvvenby 's experience

Okay, I have applied the updates, the r8168 kernel modules were updated too. I have reinstated the r8169 blacklist and everything works normally again.

@RobM
What is the output of

inxi -N
~ >>> ip link                                                                  
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether fc:4d:d4:f4:44:73 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Now that is weird you have a card which is visible to the kernel but no drivers loaded and it works when you boot a live image. Maybe @philm has an idea?

Though you did mention it was after an update - so me think kernel change?

• Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411

If you look at /etc/modprobe.d do you have a blacklist for that card?
Also look at /etc/modules-load.d

Have you tried

sudo modprobe r8168

I took a dive in google pond and one hit was this

Of course I can’t say if this applies to your case but you might find something useful and one thing I noticed was this

Also this link to Arch Wiki might be helpful
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=195251

@muvvenby @RobM
No driver for kernel 4.11 yet
A specific driver exist in Manjaro repo

sudo pacman -S r8168

On Arch Linux package list the driver r8168 8.044.02-6 is for kernel 4.10 only
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/r8168/

linux>=4.10
linux<4.11
linux-headers (make)

[quote=“fhdk, post:2, topic:22501, full:true”]
Try look at your network icon - You might inadvertedly have disabled your wired network before rebooting to windows :slight_smile: or you may have this in common[/quote] thank you

Network icon is there with red cross no devices and I don’t see any options for enabling or disabling.
I will boot back in and try the terminal commands to see if that helps

Running both the commands fail dchpcd not found

Make sure you have networkmanager and network-manager-applet installed. Disable the dhcpcd.service. Enable networkmanager.service, then start it. Your stuff should work now.

@linux-aarhus
output is Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

@nadb
They are installed or at least I can open an applet from the apps menu to manage network but there are no entries.
I copied the entry details from the live usb and created an entry but that made no difference

@linux-aarhus
This is what I have on right click
Looks like its just not visible yet is when I boot the live USB

@linux-aarhus
And this is on left click

when I put ip link into the terminal i just get this.

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

Okay, I have this exact same problem since the last stable update with this exact same network card. I’m running Cinnamon DE.

In /etc/modprobe.d I have a blacklist for r8169, so that should not apply to my card/driver.
When I try to sudo modprobe r8168 it says: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'r8168': Exec format error

So, this machine was working fine, update, driver gone.

Have you tried switching kernels? Had a similar problem on 4.11-rc6.

And it does not yet work on 4.11 - that I know - I tried to build an ISO with 4.11 kernel and had to remove r8168 because it does not exist for that kernel yet

not sure if this is related but i had something like this after installing manjaro deepin…

I have the realtek r8169 witch is a wired ethernet onboard card, however after installing deepin it had blacklisted the r8169 and was using the r8168 which i believe is a wireless network. I had to go into etc/modeprobe.d and change the file from blacklist r8169 to blacklist r8168 and everything is working fine.

I also noticed after, if you goto manjaro settings manager, hardware configuration you can see it has the network-r8168 driver installed instead of the r8169

Hope this helps

Yes, I tried booting with Kernel 4.4 and 4.8 (it’s default on 4.9) and while it worked there in the past, now it doesn’t. Booting the fallback images doesn’t help either.

It works fine from live-usb though.

And since this machine now has no internet connection anymore, it’s a bit difficult to get it to update anything. I’m thinking of chrooting in and seeing if updating it will solve anything.

Well, inxi reports the card as Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411… but I’ll give removing the blacklist a try.

It says that for me but its not:

inxi -N

Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169

No driver exist for r8169 in repo neither AUR has one

pacman -Ss r8169

Okay, this is weird! I removed the blacklist for r8169 and I have a working ethernet connection again. Inxi reports driver: r8169

1 Like

Wonder if it could be compiled into the kernel?

Which also might explain why a kernel update could break it - if it is blacklisted due to previous problems?

Possibly. But pacman now gives me 65 packages to update, amongst which linux49-r8168 kernel modules…

The article linked above mentioned that in the absense of the r8168 module, the r8169 is loaded, but that this module is considered far from stable.

I’m starting to think it’s botched update where the right kernel modules were not automatically updated too.