No wifi and xfce

Hi,

on an old mac mini, wlan functionality has vanished. I cannot remember having done anything special to make it stop working, I just use ethernet most of the time, so I just was’t aware of the fact.
I used to have the network-manager icon in the taskbar, but now it is gone and I cannot find it in the items, I could add. However, I have working internet via ethernet and nm-cli is installed.

ip a shows me

3: wlp2s0b1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 92:16:ae:a5:3b:43 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr a8:86:dd:ad:ec:ad

but nmcli device wifi list

brings back an empty list.

sudo ip link set wlp2s0b1 up
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill

so, rfkill list

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: no

so, I rfkill unblock 0 unblocks it, then can ip up it, but then I get bored and ask myself, why is my network-manager applet in the taskbar gone and why I have to jump through so many loops, just to get wifi going.

So, when I search and play around with these extensions, upon trying to remove some, I get a notification (in German), that by removing them, I’d be removing them for good. Seriously?

This starts to sound like a rant.
But I really just want my wlan :slight_smile:

Any ideas?

Digged a bit deeper, so there is a system-tray applet that should expose WLAN functionality, however, in its properties, (accessible via panel properties, objects, double-click on system-tray), no network related item is listed.