No wacom effort from the manjaro team

Can i ask why all that? and also why you need to sudo modprobe wacom_dkms
I’m just curios, don’t get me wrong …

I have googled a lot about this issue and these modules may help everyone to detect and install their Wacom tablet. I have an old one, so I have played around with libraries, though the main problem was in dkms not loading.
Initially I have had an error message in system settings window telling me I don’t have required libraries, so it’s not possible to even start detecting tablet in KDE.

Cinnamon is a community ISO here, so maybe the maintainer added something that isn’t included in the official ISO?

Well, i don’t have wacom_dkms and is not needed. In KDE you only need to install 2 packages to get it working and also be detected when you plug it in … libwacom comes installed by default and recognizes the tablet but not the pen, and also doesn’t know how to map the tablet. Because of that you need to install kcm-wacomtablet-git from AUR that will also install the xf86-input-wacom that is responsible for recognizing the pen and also know how to map the tablet area to screen.
Because the guy that manages the kcm-wacomtablet-git said that also the kcm-wacomtablet has now all the porting done to the KDE Framework 5.x, it can be installed too … same procedure and same functionality, while the git version is a development one …

So, when i turn on and off and on again the tablet is recognized, same if i unplug it and plug it back in.

The settings work perfectly, you can create different profiles with button mapping for each software, and you can keep the default profile for usual work.

The background service in KDE is in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Background Services
and is triggered only once during the boot, and you get notifications if you remove/unplug or plug the tablet in after that.

In Cinnamon is as @Lolix and @micsim35 said, it only needs installed the xf86-input-wacom to get it work properly, but you will not be able to create different profiles.

In Gnome (and i’m referring to the Manjaro version of Gnome) you have to remove the manjaro-gnome-maia-theme and reinstall gnome-shell then reboot in order to get the tablet maping settings and calibration display correctly, otherwise the overlay is just blank … Then you install xf86-input-wacom to have the pen settings activated too, reboot, and that’s it :slight_smile:

very good informative post. If I could remove libwacom I would do so but it’s flagged as a dependency of far too many packages to the point it would break the DE.

I really wouldn’t want wacom_dkms installed either so am glad it isn’t needed. @flakusha dkms also requires kernel headers packages or it won’t actually be able to build kernel modules for newer kernels when you do a system upgrade if they really are necessary for your older device.

From my understanding both libwacom and xf86-input-wacom are needed to have the tablet working on whatever DE. The service is handled by /usr/lib/systemd/system/wacom-inputattach@.service from xf86-input-wacom , but most of the ID’s and events are used from libwacom.

The only problem is this that i have faced and solved this way:

@bogdancovaciu you obviously know exactly what you are doing, as you seem to have no problems getting these devices working properly. The others whining about how the Manjaro team aren’t doing enough for them is rather pitiful in my opinion. Your operating system is free, your software is free, yet you seem to expect the support level of a billion dollar software vendor for your fringe case hardware.

I have hobbies as well, the software on windows costs hundreds even thousands of dollars for my hobby. There is only one piece of software that meets the same niche in Linux. It is not very polished but it works and it’s free. To complain about free software seems rather ungrateful to me. If others can get there hardware working it seems to me that you have not done enough research on your own to fix your issues. Do a little for yourself instead of crying about how the Manjaro Devs aren’t catering to you enough. Some people’s sense of entitlement is a little beyond belief for free software on a totally free Operating System.

I enjoy helping others fix their issues on Linux, but a little gratitude goes a long way. Complaining rarely ever achieves anything. It mostly just turns those who volunteer their time right off, and pretty much guarantees you will get little help. As my dear old mom is fond of saying, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

The funny thing is that some of my artist friends that updated windows to 10 or mac os to high sierra (even prior to that there where some issues) they all had the tablet + photoshop or corel painter crash, not responding, acting funky and they got no suport from wacom, nor adobe or whatever. They all wanted just to draw and are not interested in learning tech stuff. Most ended up downgrading but then they run to other problems as newer versions of software came out … There is no perfect world anywhere, whatever is free or commercial.

For me is understandable that there is no priority to make this work the easy way on linux, because people do not have the hardware to test, nor to update the code as newer tablets come on the market. Better avoid a trouble that will eat a lot of time and research/patch/fix … but yet there are solutions.
I only saw this post now, otherwise i would have posted my findings earlier. Now i know there are more than 3 or 4 people that have tablets in this forum, that might be a sign for a next movement :wink: hehehe

I started this investigation way back in 2010 when i decided to start drawing again, used mostly mac os and linux as a second platform, and i tested most of the software there is for drawing. Decided to go full free source, and since i came to use Manjaro in the beginning of 2017, i never looked back and i’m not triggered by anything else. People where talking how awesome is corel painter 2018 and i said i have krita 4 now :smiley:

Hopefully other people will find useful some information i posted about the tablets, and get them working.
Cheers!

Hi, I just came here to say I’m grateful to the Manjaro dev team for the plug-and-play functionality of my Huion graphics tablet (and of course, even more so to the driver develeopers from elsewhere). Combined with Xournal and the Libre Office suite it is enough for 90% of my homework; the rest requiring engineering applications (CAD etc) or obscure Excel features. What I can do in Manjaro is always more convenient and faster than in Windows. Sure Ubuntu (apt) has even more software but Manjaro has what I need and most PPAs that offer something the AUR doesn’t are broken/buggy or is better off being compiled from source to begin with.

So IDK how out-the-box support for a somewhat obscure drawing tablet translates into “no wacom effort”.

I’m relatively sure we have a lot more software available than ubuntu by default. :thinking:

Err, I meant after installation. I meant stuff like this: https://anbox.io/ and https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM. The former of which only works(?) on certain distros (which I actually did try, and it barely works, crashes all the time) and the latter of which the PPA is actually just for convenience, all the source code is available and cross-distro anyways.

The AUR probably has more stable software, while apt via Snaps and PPAs have more beta, alpha, and hacky software. But I wouldn’t really know.

Our repos (especially + AUR) are larger, thats all I meant.
If we wade into the ‘some corporations or projects only make .debs or .rpms’ then thats a bit different… but doesnt skew it too much, as thats not a huge number, and some of them just need to be compiled from their tarballs (or can be extracted from those formats anyways).
PPAs are a whole other thing, and we can match it with ‘third party repos’ if necessary … but it generally isnt (I rarely even see it discussed), cuz we already offer, for example, all the flavors of chromium, without needing anything extra.
But hey, I thought that was all true - I havent done some data analysis on it recently or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

As to anbox… I dont think it has alot to do with arch/manjaro/aur… from their website:

please keep in mind that Anbox currently is ALPHA level software.

osx-kvm?
as you said, its cross-distro anyways … but it doesnt yet have a package… someone could make one for the aur though… :wink:

How nontrivial or trivial is making a package for the AUR? I’ve actually never thought about it until now.

Depends on what needs to be done.
Its more or less just a script for building… but that can be, in your words, trivial or non-trivial.
Some are pretty much just correct formatting and tar/cd/mv/cp a few things… others can be much more involved. Heres some links to introduce:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aur

And heres a random example from aur (a printer driver). It has an if/fi and a patch … but otherwise its just cp and install commands:
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=brother-hll2340dw

Are you referring to a package for tablets, or for something else. For tablets there are already AUR packages … :slight_smile:

Was saying it in the most general way. Like for example I’d be very interested in making https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM an AUR package.

And yea, I know there’s packages for Huion and Wacom.

I dont think you meant to have ‘1’ at the end of that link :wink:

I bought a Intuos Pen and Touch Medium and its works great. The only problem I have is when I press the upper left key, the Manjaro detects the lower left key and vice-versa. The right side works great. :frowning:

Ah, almost forgot. It does not detect my pen, so I can’t configure it’s buttons. I’ve installed everything I could about wacom drivers from “Add/Remove Software”.

Please follow this:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/Wacom_Tablet_And_Pen

Also if you think there is an error, you can mention it here (hopefully is the right place)

Or simply open a topic with your issue, and what you tried and why it doesn’t work …

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.