No Vulkan?

I was looking at my gui pacman program and saw a few vulkan things already installed. But I was following this page to install: https://linuxconfig.org/install-and-test-vulkan-on-linux
Now that I've rebooted for my own troubleshooting, I realise that the Manjaro option was never listed in my google. So, let me explain what I did first, then I will continue.

I get this:

~$ vulkaninfo
bash: vulkaninfo: command not found

Before this, I ran:

pacman -S vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon
pacman -S nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils

(I recently replaced my Nvidia with a Radeon, but I may want to put it back in so I ran its install as well. I currently only have the Radeon installed.)

This is what I've got:

~$ pacman -Qs vulkan
local/lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils 440.31-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/lib32-vulkan-intel 19.2.6-0.1
    Intel's Vulkan mesa driver (32-bit)
local/lib32-vulkan-radeon 19.2.6-0.1
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver (32-bit)
local/nvidia-440xx-utils 440.31-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/vulkan-icd-loader 1.1.127-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader
local/vulkan-intel 19.2.6-0.1
    Intel's Vulkan mesa driver
local/vulkan-radeon 19.2.6-0.1
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver

This is where I rebooted and started to post this.

After looking at the Arch wiki option, I installed the lib32-vulkan-icd-loader.

I get this (which was the same before I ran the 32-bit version):

~$ ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/
intel_icd.i686.json    radeon_icd.i686.json
intel_icd.x86_64.json  radeon_icd.x86_64.json

I'm not really sure how to verify vulkan is properly installed and working if I can't use vulkaninfo. Additionally, I have no intel options installed, as I have an AMD mboard.

I'm trying to get things to run on Lutris, and somehow I had Diablo III up and running and started playing a bit, but didn't play much because I wanted to wait for the new season. Then I reinstalled about a month or so ago (due to issues with an upgrade patch). I can now "run" D3, but the game hangs about 5-10 seconds into an actual game. So this is what is making me think vulkan is the culprit... I'm half tempted to copy my ~/ to another drive and start over again. :frowning:

it's part of vulkan-tools I don't know if it's in manjaro repos :thinking:

vulkan-tools is in the repos ..
(the guide is a bit old .. but probably just bad and/or written by someone who doesnt use Arch)
The other thing here is that vulkan-tools is not required to use vulkan .. its just what contains the tool/command instructed by that blog.

Also

This is not how we install drivers on manjaro. This is how we break things.
Only use mhwd or Manjaro Settings Manager to mess with drivers or kernels.

As I said, I was going off of a non-Arch tutorial that had an Arch section. I'm guessing that the guide you are referring to is the non-Arch-site one?

But please explain how we install drivers on Manjaro? Is it because I am missing the -Syu/-Syyu? I'd actually just ran that (-Syyu) right before, because I was reading up on why sometimes I see the three options listed after pacman, and I wanted to ensure I was up to date. Does running pacman -Syyu on its own negate running a pacman -S <package> immediately after?

Edit: typo

Edit2: Installed vulkan-tools and have vulkaninfo now. Thank you!

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Hardware_Detection

1 Like

Wow, thanks!

as long as you have the video-linux metapackage installed in mhwd, all parts needed for vulkan are also installed alongside all parts needed for hardware accelerated video decoding and others.

the mentioned vulkan-tools are not needed for a working vulkan environment, so they are not automatically installed.

For your issues with diablo 3: Have you tried lutris for installing and running wine games? The patches added in lutris-wine make it a lot more stable and performant for me, compared to the wine and wine-staging packages from the repo.

I had installed Lutris before my reinstallation, and I had my Epic, Uplay, and Blizzard stores all operating (I did not necessarily try games in them), but I'm having issues getting just the storefronts installed properly. My "wine" games work fine on Steam, which is what I've mostly stuck to since reinstallation but I want to play my other games.

So while I have tried Lutris, I wouldn't say my current attempt is successful. I'm trying to work through that slowly... typically I get home from work, see the headache I left when I went to sleep the night before, and would rather play the games that work and have a beer before attempting again. :slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by