No gdm displaying , gdm try to display 3 time, but failed with nvidia rtx3090

I just come to update to last stable and have problem gdm crash with nvidia card.
No gdm displaying , gdm try to display 3…time the screen blink. and have to log
with console and startx manually.

system:
Distributor ID: ManjaroLinux
Description: Manjaro Linux
Release: 24.0.2
Codename: Wynsdey

linux 6.6.32-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon May 27 03:41:25 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Summary
sudo systemctl status gdm.service                                                                                                              ✔  nico@ 
[
● gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2024-06-12 19:18:44 CEST; 1min 3s ago
   Main PID: 2505 (gdm)
      Tasks: 4 (limit: 38352)
     Memory: 3.3M (peak: 8.2M)
        CPU: 239ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
             └─2505 /usr/bin/gdm

juin 12 19:19:15  gdm[2505]: Gdm: on_display_added: assertion 'GDM_IS_REMOTE_DISPLAY (display)' failed
juin 12 19:19:15  gdm[2505]: Gdm: GdmDisplay: Session never registered, failing
juin 12 19:19:15  gdm[2505]: Gdm: on_display_removed: assertion 'GDM_IS_REMOTE_DISPLAY (display)' failed
juin 12 19:19:21  gdm[2505]: Gdm: GdmDisplay: Session never registered, failing
juin 12 19:19:21  gdm[2505]: Gdm: on_display_added: assertion 'GDM_IS_REMOTE_DISPLAY (display)' failed
juin 12 19:19:21  gdm[2505]: Gdm: GdmDisplay: Session never registered, failing
juin 12 19:19:21  gdm[2505]: Gdm: on_display_removed: assertion 'GDM_IS_REMOTE_DISPLAY (display)' failed
juin 12 19:19:26  gdm[2505]: Gdm: GdmDisplay: Session never registered, failing
juin 12 19:19:26  gdm[2505]: Gdm: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors
juin 12 19:19:26  gdm[2505]: Gdm: on_display_removed: assertion 'GDM_IS_REMOTE_DISPLAY (display)' failed

Someone have a trick ? thanks

Please search the forum before posting.

And please either interact with an ongoing related thread or create your own if one does not exist.

I have moved your post from the Unstable Updates thread as you are not using the Unstable Branch and this post does not belong there at all.

…which is the same as…? :thinking:

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

Either way, we can’t help without more information. Please help us help you:

If English is not your first language, feel free to create a topic in our Languages section. Be sure and tag it with your language if yours is not an existing category; i.e., for Polish: polski

I want says the same problems because have the same error message :slight_smile:

that @mkb show.

juin 12 19:19:15  gdm[2505]: Gdm: on_display_added: assertion 'GDM_IS_REMOTE_DISPLAY (display)' failed

And for me have a trick it is for me an idiom to says have a solutions. Or a secret strategy to solve the problem. .

Come on from:

Idiom: Have a trick up your sleeve

Meaning:

If you have a trick up your sleeve, you have a secret strategy to use when the time is right.

Country: International English | Subject Area: Clothes | Usage Type: Both or All Words Used

Contributor: Richard Flynn

yes i have searched before posting and just found only on your post the same errors.
So i’ill post there. Sorry.

So since i have installed manjaro the previous 6 month on this computer with newer nvidia card i have seen i must to add nvidia_drm.modeset=1 to grub default to have running good of the card.

And i haven’t found ih the wiki or posts where i have search for any mention others than put setting nvidia_drm.modeset=1 but this is ok because with this setting all run. Things where ok.

i have use this wiki and post:

arch nvidia install

enabling wayland on nvidia hardware

I have read another post and wiki on the manjaro forum but this don’t give more information than the previous cited.

But now since yesterday at the last stable update i have done i have gdm crash .

But now i have found the solution adding this

nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 nvidia.NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

with keeping nvidia_drm.modeset=1 too .

Solution what have been posted in may by : @Metam0rph0sis

[Unstable Update] May 2024 Edition - #105 by Metam0rph0sis

So thanks @Metam0rph0sis now GDM work again.

Thanks to all have nices days.

1 Like

Glad this helped someone. In fact nvidia.NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0 most likely not required for you since you are not using the 555 beta driver

Many thanks for the feedback Metam0rph0sis.
I will remove the nvidia.NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0.

Where? You still haven’t answered the question properly.

Sorry, no. Seeking a trick or workaround is a pointless endeavor as neither will solve anything. What you’re looking for a a solution. In order for helpful volunteers to find a solution for users requesting assistance, one must provide more information.

Please see:

What post? In the future, please link to relevant topics.

Marking one’s own reply as a Solution is selfish, first of all. Second, the content of your reply is erroneous and did not actually solve anything.

This topic will be hidden from the public–meaning it will no longer appear on the forum. However, anyone with the link (Yes, search engines already indexed it) can view it.