ReText (python application) broken by recent python upgrades

Retext is not anymore usable. I am not using it frequently enough to know when it got broken, but I suspect after the recent python updates.

Issue is as follows: pressing the preview button crashes the application with the following message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ReText/syncscroll.py", line 68, in _handlePreviewResized
    self._updatePreviewScrollPosition()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ReText/syncscroll.py", line 137, in _updatePreviewScrollPosition
    pos.setY(preview_scroll_offset)
TypeError: setY(self, int): argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'
Process Process-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/multiprocessing/process.py", line 315, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/multiprocessing/process.py", line 108, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ReText/converterprocess.py", line 72, in _converter_process_func
    job = receiveObject(conn_child)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ReText/converterprocess.py", line 41, in receiveObject
    sizeBuf = recvall(sock, 4)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ReText/converterprocess.py", line 34, in recvall
    raise EOFError('Received 0 bytes from socket while more bytes were expected. Did the sender process exit unexpectedly?')
EOFError: Received 0 bytes from socket while more bytes were expected. Did the sender process exit unexpectedly?
Aborted (core dumped)

Changing the file /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ReText/syncscroll.py such that line 137 is modified from

pos.setY(preview_scroll_offset)

to

pos.setY(int(preview_scroll_offset))

seems to fix the issue.

7.2.3 has already been released, but upstream has yet to update.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks, in the meantime I hope that the workaround I have found might be useful to someone…

I’ve just pushed 7.2.3-0 to all branches as a temporary overlay.

3 Likes

Just got it, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.