Add/Remove still shows software I've already updated

I might be forgetting something obvious but… Add/Remove says my software (DaVinci Resolve) needs to be updated from 18.1.4-1 to 18.5.1-1 but I’ve already updated it.

When I opened DaVinci, its own dialog box appeared with “There’s a newer version available! Do you want to download it?” so I did that and ran the installer. Now DaVinci is updated to 18.5.1-1 but I guess Add/Remove doesn’t know it happened?

I tried selecting “Refresh Databases” in Add/Remove but it didn’t change anything. What should I do?

thanks!

UPDATE:
In Add/Remove, I deleted DaVinci Resolve. Then I re-installed it using the program’s own installer. Now I will have to rely on the DaVinci application for its own updates.

IMHO it would be helpful if there was a tutorial about when to use Add/Remove -vs- when to use an application’s own installer. No one wants to talk about the AUR and I get it, but there are very popular, mainstream applications (like DaVinci Resolve) that many people, coming from non-Linux operating systems, will want to use.

Maybe such a tutorial already exists??

Yes. It’s called DON’T DO IT.

1 Like

There have been several issues with libpamac since the last two Stable updates. It was updated again in the last 24 hours.

If you want my personal advice, just don’t use the pamac GUI. Update your system from the command line in a tty, and while completely logged out of your GUI environment. Update the repo packages first with pacman, and then update the rest with pamac, like so… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman -Syu && pamac update

Then exit the tty session and log into your GUI again, or if it’s a big update, reboot. :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl reboot

Pamac uses its own database, I don’t know why it wouldn’t use the pacman one, so maybe that one of the discrepancies you see, update the Pamac database should fix that I guess.

But yeah, use pacman .

A brutal way to put it but yes. Running binaries with root rights a.k.a. double clicking “installers” is the windows way to install software that is closed source. It contradicts the whole linux concept and does not respect permissions, dependencies, does not integrate with the system or the package management, can lead to conflicts in the future, and so on. It is never ever the recommended way to do things. Exception to some extent are the .appimage files, but they are not actually installed.

1 Like

I’ve only got a few AUR packages installed, but don’t use the GUI, but the pamac build command to install them, and pamac remove -o or -u option to remove it. So far I’ve found that works well for me. The only issue I’ve found with AUR is that often the packages are not up to date, and in one case 3 months behind the version I was expecting.