No Bluetooth settings available (having a dual WIFI/BT card)

Hello everybody!

I have installed KDE Manjaro on my system that has the following card (from lscpi):

Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] [8086:24fb] (rev 10)

I saw that this device is supported in the linux kernel (at least its wifi part - which I confirm using it right now) but I don’t know why it’s not working.

I have nothing displayed on the menu of the Bluetooth settings.
And even the output of rfkill list doesn’t show anything related to the bluetooth:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

I checked on my bios (since it has the option to disable the bluetooth module) and the bluetooth is indeed enabled.

I had some bluetooth related package that was not installed (like blueman and bluez-utils) but I don’t think this was the problem since it seems other packages was already installed…

Does anyone know how to figure out what could be the problem?
I have no clue…

Thank you very much!

Maybe systemctl status bluetooth could be a start?

1 Like

but you need bluez and bluez-utils (at least) - so make sure that they are installed
blueman is just a graphical frontend and not strictly needed

1 Like

Hello!
Here is the output…

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

Feb. 22 11:26:45 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
Feb. 22 11:27:37 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
Feb. 22 11:37:10 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
Feb. 22 11:50:16 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
Feb. 23 11:15:55 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
Feb. 23 11:48:10 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
Feb. 23 11:59:22 comp systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.

Seems a good start indeed… I’ll try to check why it’s inactive (dead).
This might be the problem…

Thanks.
bluez was already installed…

Also some reading maybe? Bluetooth - ArchWiki

1 Like

Hey…
I follow those steps…

1. Install the bluez package, providing the Bluetooth protocol stack.
  2. Install the bluez-utils package, providing the bluetoothctl utility. Alternatively install bluez-utils-compatAUR to additionally have the deprecated BlueZ tools.
  3. The generic Bluetooth driver is the btusb kernel module. Check whether that module is loaded. If it’s not, then load the module.
  4. Start/enable bluetooth.service.

And indeed in the 3rd step the module was not listed so I follow the mentioned steps…
But unfortunately still nothing displayed :frowning:

However, when I do systemctl status bluetooth this time I get this:

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Mon 2021-03-01 19:15:55 CET; 2 days ago
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
   Main PID: 27248 (bluetoothd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 154402)
     Memory: 764.0K
     CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
             └─27248 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

So it seems to be good while there’s still something wrong…

Edit: I mean this times in the Bluetooth settings GUI it says “no adapter found” (same as in CLI blueman-adapters)

I have some news for future reader…
I solved my problem!
In this thread Bluetooth problem on Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260 for a dual boot / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums someone pointed out here drivers - Bluetooth arbitrarily stopped working on Ubuntu after dual-booting to Windows - Ask Ubuntu

I didn’t understand why Windows was related…
In my case I don’t even dual boot with Windows…
In fact I even never installed Windows on this machine…

What I did I simply disabled the BT module on my BIOS…
Then booted… And restarted a couple of times (with obviously no Bluetooth)…
I also noticed that the computer booted somehow very fast (more on this below…)

Then I re-enabled the BT on my BIOS…
Then booted again… (which did happen quite fast also - see below).
At this moment the BT worked…

However, before I tried to disable/enable the BT module on the BIOS I did the following.
I changed the content of /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf from:

options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=N

to:

options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=1

But this changed nothing… Even after some reboots and re-following the steps on the post above - loading the module with modprobe etc.

So I’m not sure if this changed actually contributed to solving the issue alongside the BIOS enabling/disabling.
Edit: I tried again by resetting this option to bt_coex_active=N and the BT still worked but my boot time (but broke my boot time again). So this was not related to the BT issue itself.

PS: Also about my booting time (which I was talking on this thread Big delay (1/2min) upon boot before system responds )…
It seems that it also solved that!
Now the boot time is not really that fast compared to what I saw on some computer (and even on my previous laptop - which I don’t really understand since this machine is very most powerful (TR1950X, 128Gb with nvme SSD).
But before this “fix” the computer was taking more than a minute so I’m still happy…

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.