New to the forum, introduce yourself

Thank you for the reply!!

I installed via lutris following a guide posted on reddit. However I changed a system file and I hope it didn’t screw anything (to enable esync). I’ll try that one tonight!!

The reply sure feels like a warm welcome!!

Hi Spiro :slight_smile: Glad you’re happy here. I haven’t tried lutris/anything more complex … not very tech, lol … but Playonlinux does a great job and is straightforward to use. Look at the gamersonlinux site too (gamersonlinux), for some great guides, where he shows people how to install things manually through Playonlinux. There’s also the Playonlinux forum: Playonlinux forum.
If you have any issues, there’s also the gaming section here. Hopefully the install goes through perfectly well; excited to hear if it does!

Hello everyone, I’ve been a Windows user for a long time and finally snapped, high memory usage, high CPU usage and other stuff. Linux is much lighter and uses less resources so I thought I would try it.
Searched for an Arch Linux distro with KDE and I am glad I found this one, I love it!

Hi all.
i am from Helsinki and just recently found about Manjaro after speding time using Ubuntu and it’s flavours I am thoroughly enjoying my Cinnamon flavoured desktop and operating system. Cheers.

Hello All! I am from the mid-Atlantic area of the US and I am testing out Manjaro. I come from a CentOS and Debian background when it comes to Linux. I primarily use Windows for my job and gaming (was hoping SteamOS and other endeavors would allow AAA gaming to come to Linux…).

This is my first experience with Manjaro and the Arch side of things. Still learning the ropes but seems like most of my experience with Linux will transfer over to Arch-based distributions. Pacman is a little different than apt and yum but starting to get the hang of things. I have updated a few times now and everything is going pretty good so far.

Anyway, looking forward to learning from all of you guys and contributing my experience to the community. See you around the forums!

Hello,
I migrated to linux from windows last year. I started on Linux Mint, Kali Linux, then Linux Mint, followed by elementary OS 5. While researching other distros, I stumbled on Manjaro and decided to give it a try. This was my first foray into linux and really needed a system that was user friendly. I arrived at Manjaro Deepin and I am enjoying every bit of it.

I really like the community support, didn’t have to spend hours on google trying to figure out things. The forum ha provided me with enough support to sort out my issues. I was able to contact with one of the kernel contributors to solve one of my laptops issues. Excellent support. :+1:

Great that you had a positive experience. However, Manjaro as rolling-release may introduce bugs as we are on cutting edge. Upcoming systemd update may break people’s system. The solution for it is to do a downgrade with a command sudo pacman -Syyuu before or right after update but BEFORE rebooting. Or simply use pamac, which will do the downgrade for you automatically IF YOU ENABLED DOWNGRADE IN OPTIONS (the option should show up in recent pamac update). This can happen to all users who have a newer systemd package than in repos (can happen if someone updated but then package was downgraded in repos). If not, you don’t have to worry.
Anyway, such hazardous situations may arise from time to time on rolling release. Just a pinch of warning.
It’s good to read update announcements where such warnings and fixes are posted.

thanks for the advice. I have not made any changes to the preferenace in pacman. Should I change the option to downgrade or leave it as is?

I said pamac, not pacman. Subtle but important difference :wink: . Pacman is the package manager, pamac is the gui and also CLI overlay for pamac. Enable the downgrade in pamac and then do the update with pamac (not sure when this update comes to stable branch, it’s already in testing). It will be safest that way.
See:

Hi, I’m KC. I am 26 and live in the US. Just got Manjaro after being frustrated with various other distros. I really like it. Forum seems pretty cool. The discobot is a nice concept.

Anyway I like heavy music and hip hop and experimental and watching shows on Hulu and Netflix. I do graphic design for fun and fulfillment with Mandelbulber 2.17, GIMP, and Darktable.

Right now I am just setting up the opencl, hopefully I can get it to work correctly.

Hello! I’m from Norway and just moved over to Manjaro Deepin (my first Arch-based distro).

Was a Windows user up until 3 years ago, when I first tried Linux. Since then I have used Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros as my primary OS, only using Windows for specific software needed in projects/university. And when I had to decide on which OS to run on my new laptop, I decided to try out Manjaro. Honestly, I just wanted to try something new.

I have only been using Manjaro for a few days now, but I’m very happy about my decision (so far). I don’t know why, but Manjaro seems to be running much smoother than any distro I’ve ever tried (might have something to do with the laptop upgrade). I look forward to start optimizing Manjaro for my work, and hope that I finally found a distro of which I can be satisfied with.

This forum seems like a good place to start my “Manjaro-journey”, so I’ll probably hang around here a bit.

Hi there,
i’ve been a linux user for somewhat 10 years now. Started with ubuntu, at some point open suse and later later mint. Tried to give gentoo a shot once, and learned a lot about manually setting up a system and how quick one can nuke it :sweat_smile: but i didn’t stick to it.
Since i got more and more frustrated with mint i decided to look for a new distro and went for manjaro. Tried the gnome, kde, xfce editions and am currently running the cinnamon edition since a few weeks.
So far i absolutely :heart: it and i am really looking forward to fiddling around with the system.

Hi all,

completely newcomer here from the windows world, i recently got fed up with windows for various reasons and decided to go all in with Linux. Switched my laptop to manjaro for the past week now and desktop followed suit a few days ago.
Hopefully i will manage to keep it like this :grinning:

Have to admit i already got help from the forum once so many thanks, to everyone dedicating their time to help us newbies make the transition, are in order.

Alex

Hi fellow members,

Based in the UK, have enjoyed (and frustrated) with Linux since 2010. Started with Ubuntu, began distro-hopping when I became disillusioned with Ubuntu soon after their 14.04 release.

Settled on Debian, after numerous bumps and train wrecks trying most distros out there. Debian is a great system, but only if your equipment is is made before their development freeze, prior to being released roughly six months later.

I was testing which OS would run on my new 8th gen rig with the least issues, Manjaro won this hands down.

Quietly impressed so far. Really well though out, highly polished and the Gnome desktop working without issue.

Just have to dispel that myth of rolling distro’s habit of going belly up after an update, otherwise happy.

What be really useful, if some one could point me in the right direction, currently I’m using the Arch Pacman/Rosetta as my CLI reference.

I have read several articles where the command: pacman -Syyuu is used.

Currently I’m using pacman -Sy and pacman -Syu to update, then upgrade my system.

Does this command systemctl enable fstrim.timer. enable the trim on each new session.?

Cheers Antz :sunglasses:

Those are different variants and they do more or less different things so it all depends on situation.

The usual update command is pacman -Syu, however you may also use -Syyu, which forces refresh the database, even if it’s up to date. -Syyuu is downgrading packages to the version you have in repo (works only if you have newer packages) and lately this was a requirement for successful update, because package with newer version didn’t have security patches and wasn’t compiled with the newest library so update caused it stop working and since this was an essential package…

Just read pacman man or --help pages and:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman_Tips

This is basics of systemd:
enable - makes the daemon (process) autostart (but is not starting it now)
start - makes the daemon to start now (but not autostart)
status - checks the status of the process
stop - stops the process now (but does not affect autostart)
disable - makes the process not autostart anymore (but have no effect on the process now)

So for example:

sudo systemctl status samba

Most daemons have name.service or name.something but command will work without that part too, so instead:

sudo systemctl status fstrim.timer

you can use

sudo systemctl status fstrim

enable --now

for additionally starting the deamon

Cheers @michaldybczak thank you for the info, that does clarify the situation.

:sunglasses:

@Lolix Thanks.

:sunglasses:

Back to Topic, please :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

New to Manjaro, but so far so good. My former home was ParrotSec but it had some quarks i could never just get right. been a long time linux user from back in the day. Took a break from it and ent to the dark side with windows, then hopped over to Kali, then ParrotSec, and now here. currently I have the Black Arch toolset installed with working HDMI output (which i could not get right under ParrotSec for the life in me) Currently running the latest Manjaro with the 4.20.3 kernel.