New to the forum, introduce yourself

Hello @pokho welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There are some pkgbuilds in the AUR for way cooler, it isn’t in the official repo

For what is the AUR: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Arch_User_Repository

For issue with AUR packages there is a dedicated category https://forum.manjaro.org/c/technical-issues-and-assistance/aur

Hello all,
My name is Haroun and I’m from Tunisia. I discovered Manjaro a year ago or so but never actually tried it until recently and I instantly fell in love with it.
I’m excited to join this forum and learn more about Manjaro from everyone here.
Take care!
Haroun.

Hello everyone. I’m Erik from Finland.
I started using Manjaro from version 0.3 back in the days, before switching to Arch. Now I got myself a new computer and new setup and decided to go back to Manjaro simply out of laziness. I see the community has grown quite a lot since I used Manjaro last time, and there’s lots of new stuff. All kinds of things to be excited about ^_^.

If you use Plasma (Manjaro KDE) you can simply drag and drop images from Dolphin or even directly from success window of Spectacle to the box where you are writing. Image is being uploaded then and shows up in preview and then in post after publication.

Hello Manjaro Community, I’m Ricardo from Portugal, I’m an IT professional for more than 20 years now, and I use Linux Manjaro XFCE since 2018 after getting tired using of Xubuntu, and other debian derivatives for many years :smile:

P.S: I came across this forum because my Lightning calender in Thunderbird always defaults to English despite the language interface is different, and on my internet searches this post came up

I found a workaround for this issue. Install from AUR: lightning-lang-patcher
This simple program will detect your Thunderbird’s version, you can choose desired language and it adds localization to the Lightning, reboot Thunderbird.

Hello,

I’m new to Manjaro… I was (about 10+) years ago an SUSE and RH user… EDIT: that 10+ years ago, will be 17 years ago next month… Also I used BSD on my daily use computer for a few years. For my professional life I am fluent Win admin. Windows pushed me over the edge recently and I reloaded my computer with Manjaro 18/XFCE. What a relief, (almost) everything just works… I copied my other windows box and my ‘hackintosh’ box to VMs and they work etc…

You may wonder why am I here: I’m not sure where to present my issue… I am after all, a newbie.
The good news is I had some video instability on 4.19 that have resolved on 4.20.

The bad news and here is my question: I am not able to get either of my (usb) video input devices (working) on 4.20, I’m wondering where to post to get help with this.

Thank you.

Rob Thompson

Welcome to Manjaro sounds like you’ve been around the block. :wink: Sorry that you’re having an issue with some thing I know nothing about.

First try menu>settings>Removable Drives… If searches (hour glass top right) and your own ingenuity fail post here.

Again welcome rhthompson, and
happy trails…

Hi all,

I’m a long time PC user from back in the days of Win 3.1 and even the first home computers before that ( Amstrad/Commodore ). I’ve never been happy with Windows stability and reliability and dipped my toe into Linux a decade or more ago, trying Mepis and one or two other distros. Hardware compatibility (Wifi/graphics) meant I gave up on it but the recent Win 10 shenanigans around the EULA and SaaS drove me back to take another look at Linux. I tried Ubuntu and Manjero on a couple of live USB’s and quickly realised how far Linux has come. Both worked out of the box on my aging but reasonably specc’ed laptop. Colour me impressed on how easy the installs have been, light years ahead of my previous experience.
I’ve already set up my laptop to dual boot into Manjero and Win 7, managing to avoid any problems so far by setting it up in legacy mode. This also illustrated the difference between the two OS’es. Manjero Cinnamon installed, with updates, in less than 30 minutes. A clean install of Win 7 took all day and it still hasn’t finished updating a day later. I also had to try and track down a whole number of drivers which the install disc never had and which weren’t easy to find, so I’m sold on staying with Linux now and have been really impressed with Manjero, which runs really nicely on 8gb of ram and a mediocre graphics chip.
As a keen photographer I’m still using a couple of windows programs until I transition fully over to Linux, hence the need for dual boot, but I’m confident I can make that work in the long term.

Anyway, that’s enough from me, I’m just glad to have escaped the abomination that is Windows 10, which I’ll never use on my own machine ever again.

There are plenty of photographers on this forum to help you out. https://forum.manjaro.org/t/open-source-photography/36814/21

In the end: whether it is the best solution for you and your type of photography and workflow is something you will have to find out for yourself.
Key programs:
Darktable/Rawtherapee
Digikam
Gimp/Pinta and many others.
Viewers abound.

Thanks, yes I’m familiar with most of the options but there’s bound to be one or two I’m not aware of. Ideally I’d like to come off windows altogether but that depends on whether negative scanning works well enough, in particular colour negatives. I haven’t checked the compatibility of my scanner yet so that will be key for me as well. Worst case scenario I’ll just use my win 7 partition until I no longer need to, everything else should be catered for in Linux.

I recommend this recent article from the Linux Journal:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/photography-and-linux

I can confirm what your issue was, you were running Windows 10 :grin:

Hi kmartin,

I failed to mention that my usb Webcam does work… I’m able to access it through OBS and the v4l2 viewers from the repository.

that 10+ years ago, Will be 17 years ago next month… (Insert comments here) that may mean I’ve forgotten what I knew however, I am not afraid to use terminal as needed…

The desktop is an approximately 3 year old dual xeon, (dell) with built-in Matrox and an nvidia k4000 that I added (commercial drivers) I chose XFCE and am on Manjaro 18 with kernel 4.20.

I’ve also got a slightly older HP laptop that I’ve loaded with the same software and have reloaded it with kernel 4.19… The usb capture devices - one diamond mm, and one Hauppauge HD pvr (v.1) work properly on the 4.19 kernel (I can record from them in OBS). With kernel 4.20 running they are not seen in OBS nor can I redirect input from them. I tried upgrading from 4.19 to 4.20 and erasing the disk and reinstalling.

I’ll post where you linked.

Thanks for reading.

Rob Thompson

I’m sure you’ll get it sorted out… There are plenty of smart folks on the forum. Here is a link to help with posting to the forum.

Have fun Rob, and again Welcome…:smiley:

Hi again,

Thank you, that is helpful information.

Rob

Hello, I’m from Indonesia. I’m using Manjaro KDE on notebook and Manjaro Xfce on netbook. Thinking of using Manjaro Openbox to replace Manjaro Xfce on netbook.

Hi,

I’ve been using linux for something over five years now, my go to distro was always #! But when that died I’ve floated around some, pure debian, arch, antergos, etc never really found anything that felt quite like home.

Always been an openbox guy, until I was introduced to i3 and I never looked back.

I found Manjaro quite by accident but let me say am I pleased!! Running some seriously old hardware (no joke, seriously old. 91’ motherboard :wink:) Is a challenge to find something which doesn’t bug out and send your system tumbling into the migrane abyss.

So manjaro it is, i can multitask and not one bit of lag, feels as if I’m running a brand new system, this might be a keeper!!

Hi there, I’m from Portugal, I used Manjaro years ago and now I back with gnome edition, after 3 days I already my system the way I like, I have very experience on linux, it and programming, if someone need help can ask. I will try to help the forum.

=P

Hi!

I’m from Russia and I’ve never used any Linux distro. Recently I’ve decided to try it and chose Manjaro KDE. Now I’m using it for two weeks or so on my pc and my laptop and I really like it.