New to the forum, introduce yourself

You don’t have to read all updates all the time, but it’s good to keep in mind where to look if some issues appear. Manjaro is not that attention hungry.

As to servers I agree, Ubuntu or Cent OS are better choice. Manjaro has packages from Arch and they are vanilla, not pre-configured as it happens on Ubuntu or Cent OS. Also, because Manjaro is rolling release it has rolling packages, so for example, you don’t get php7.0, php7.2, php7.3 only just php which is always the newest. This isn’t too good for production server machines where LTS structure has advantages.

Hello everyone, i’m newbie to Manjaro, can’t install Arch Linux duo to my poor internet connection. so i install Manjaro and since Manjaro is based on Arch. I install it. I’m not totally newbie in linux, just in arch based Distros. Hope we’ll learn a lot to each others. Thank you !

Hey Jack, I am also new here. Like you I am not new to linux but new to Manjaro. Hope to learn a lot from the forum. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!
I’m from Brazil, my first experience with Linux was due to a basic IT course I did when I was in my 17 (though I’m not that old, I’m a 21 years old), it was a Debian… And well, I won’t lie it’s was a pain in the ass of first experience. But over time I started to see that there were other distros which were much more friendly to newbies.
My first real change (before I was just using virtual box) to Linux was Ubuntu… But, for some reason it was a little slow and I didn’t liked some configurations for play my games, then I tried Open-SUSE tumbleweed, nice at first but I still didn’t felt good using it, then Fedora (but the nonfree drivers were a pain to put).
And then, when I was almost giving up have a Linux which was also good for gaming too, I started to notice that lots of users that showed windows games running on their linux well were from Manjaro.
It may be silly but I wanted a distro good for gaming as much as one good for learn more about Linux, and I must say that after changing from one distro to another I think I finally found one I really like. I’m currently using Manjaro with the GNOME flavor and so far my experience with steam play and lutris is really smooth.
Note: I also want to say that the forums threads here have been very helpful to learn some fixes and quick tips (like setting up the correct resolution of my monitor) and nice to meet you all! :smiley:

Hi Everyone!

I had Manjaro installed once before, in 2016, but had to switch to Apple and then back to Windows - the latter of which due to a “vintage” 2012 MacBook Pro, followed by a slight disagreement in opinion over pricing.

I’m a design student from Germany and just needed a bit of fresh air. I’ve been using Windows since good old 98 - never meddling, never changing things, just accepting what was/is. This meant very few problems (seriously, this tower is from 2008 and ran Win Vista for years with only two or three blue-screens). This is still the case, I’m happily running Win10 (not on the 2008 tower, don’t worry).

I am a bit bored however. Also, it annoys me, that something so important - my computer - is a complete and utter black box to me. I want to start learning and I want to start meddling. I can learn on Windows, true, but I believe I can only truly meddle on linux.

I was introduced to Manjaro at a workshop back in 2015, by a Psychology student in Würzburg. He told me about the development of KDE, the live USBs and how it was getting more my kind of user friendly. But what intrigued me the most was when he mentioned the welcoming and helpful community here. I’d like to take a moment to thank you all for that - for making the difficult, taking-the-red-pill-part a whole lot easier. I’d add some more personal opinions on privacy, transparency and honesty (or lack thereof with certain companies) and all that, but the word “Hello” should only take so much of your time. Also, I have just a boat load of tutorials to watch and read.

My aim is to use Manjaro XFCE on the side, while finding proper alternatives for the software I need, in order to be able to switch my main computer over when I’m ready. I’m a complete noob at this, but I have found the Terminal, added it to my desktop panel and clicked on it like a champ.

cd Music/
cd Winamp\ Library/
cd Rolling\ Stones/
cd Rolling\ Stones\ CD2/
play ‘Rolling Stones - Forty Licks - CD2 - 01 - Start Me Up.mp3’

I had to install SoX the GUI way… We all start somewhere.

To all who have these things at this time, I wish you very happy holidays, best of health and hopefully peace - the political one as well as the one of the soul (I’d say something about the mind, but I don’t wish my state of mind on anyone, so we’ll just leave it alone). To those of you who don’t, I wish all of the above, without the “holidays”, but you’re certainly welcome to leave the “happy” in there none the less. Happiness is sometimes more important than grammar.

A pleasure to meet you all!
Cheers and take care,

NotGreg

Hi there,
I’m a Debian > to > Mandrake > to Ubuntu > to Mint > to Mint > to Mint… > to Angergos > to Mint > to Manjaro USER only :smiley:

I do use Windows in work.

I’m here to review, use and maybe stay for longer on Rolling release of Manjaro. I’ve tried to jump on Arch but I kinda, don’t have time :smiley: for it. I have stuck with Mint from version 14 up to 19 because it just worked. Now I have some extra time to switch witout losing money on that switch so here I am.

B/R

Hi Manjarisas!

My name is Rosalind, and I’m retired after working in IT (or DP as it was when I started, I’m that old!) for years but I still like hacking about on the computer and discovering new things.

I’ve been around the block a few times and been through Slackware, Corel, Mandrake, SuSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Mint and even Arch (but life is too short even though I liked it a lot). Mostly I’ve used KDE but my desktop is getting old and gets tied in knots sometimes, so I’m evaluating Mandriva Xfce.

Je sais parler français assez bien si vous préfèrez. Anche parlo un po italiano.

Hello! I am from Bcuharest, Romania. I use linux for almost 10 years, and i’ve allways liked manjaro, since the begining. Thanks for this great distro.

Hi everyone!

I am from Italy and and I am a complete Linux newbie, as Manjaro is my first distro ever! I decided to start my Linux journey with it because it looked just perfect for me, and it turns out I was right, I’ve been using it for a few days but I’m already very happy :slight_smile: I still have a lot to learn though, so that’s why I decided to join the community, and from what I’ve seen poking around the forum before subscribing it seems like it has plenty of pleasant and helpful peopl, and that’s great :smiley:

Benvenuta @MissNeko :slight_smile:

Nel forum c’è anche una sottosezione italiana https://forum.manjaro.org/c/italiano

Grazie! Bello, allora darò un’occhiata anche alla sezione italiana :slight_smile:

Hi. Noel here, a 63 year old from Australia. Been using Mint Cinnamon for 4 years. Tried Manjaro Xfce and absolutely love it. What it does it does extremely well. Will be staying with it.

noel@noel-pc ~]$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: noel-pc Kernel: 4.20.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.2git-UNKNOWN Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 EVO v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1604 date: 10/16/2012 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: AMD FX-4100 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer 
  rev: 2 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 28907 
  Speed: 1421 MHz min/max: 1400/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1422 2: 1416 
  3: 1411 4: 1419 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] vendor: CardExpert driver: nvidia 
  v: 340.107 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASUSTeK M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2 
  Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio vendor: CardExpert 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.20.0-1-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASUSTeK P8P67 and other motherboards driver: r8168 
  v: 8.045.08-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 66.02 GiB (22.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS543232A7A384 size: 298.09 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 275.22 GiB used: 66.02 GiB (24.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.17 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 19.4 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 43 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:
  Processes: 169 Uptime: 1h 46m Memory: 15.61 GiB used: 1.12 GiB (7.2%) 
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.28 
[noel@noel-pc ~]$

code fence add by moderator

Hello all…Been a windows user since my first time computer use. Never ever tried any other OS before. About two weeks ago out of nowhere I had a hunch that I should try out linux even though I was happy(or atleast I thought I was) with windows. So as a newbie my default goto option was obviously Ubuntu as I had heard that name since I was a kid. That and Red hat linux :wink: . Anyways, after installing Ubuntu Gnome on my asus laptop, I was disappointed. I mean I thought,“What’s all this fuss is about?” Ubuntu did not give satisfactory results in neither performance nor in terms of user friendliness. So I started digging deep. As I never knew a single thing about Linux and the OSs based on it, desktop environments, and plethora of distros and flavors. I tracked distrowatch, read comments and forums and after whole 4 days of Ubuntu which I deleted, I now had Manjaro. Man o Man I am in love with this OS. As a beginner everything is new and complicated when you compare it to Windows. But it’s just so smooth,so satisfactory, so… tempting to use. Due to some dual boot installation GRUB problems with windows 10, I spent last entire week trying to re-re-reinstall manjaro using different methods, to get it working with my windows 10. NOTHING WORKED AND I GAVE UP.
Soo I install Linux Mint. :expressionless:
Let’s just leave it at that.
I used mint for the whole two hours until I was hellbent on getting manjaro working alongside my windows. Which I did. FINALLY! Now it’s all set!
So I thought it’s about time to join this amazing community. Pleasure to be a part of fastest growing distro out there. :slight_smile:

Looks like you had a somewhat rough start but had the persistence to make things work, which imho is the #1 premise for getting into the Linux world. Congrats to getting the initial problems solved and all the best for the future!

Thanks for such kind words. Really looking forward to it. :smile:

Hello from Singapore! I saw Spatrys “Cup of Linux” video on youtube & decided to take the leap of faith after 10 years on “some other distro(s)” Thank You Spatry! :clap: I joined Spatrys forum some days ago, & today being my birthday, i decided to join this forum as well! Anyone here can help me with this newbie question; it’s administrative, not necessarily technical. Could you point me to a place where there is some documentation on how to

1. post a pix/screenshot
  2. post some lines of code, i can see others are doing it. eg, today i ran the command
    sudo pacman-mirror -c Singapore

for the 1st time. Not sure if i’m doing the right thing, i clicked on the icon “preformatted text” I see others typically highlight such code. Dono if i’m doing the right thing, don’t think so. It sure doesn’t look like that of others.

1. anything else i ought to know about that looks “common sense” to all of you who have been blogging on technical forums for some time but you can recall was not so “common” when u 1st joined a tech forum?

I guess i can wait till the day that i really want to post something real bad & am so stressed i’m tearing my hair & most of beard out, but i’d rather be proactive bec i don’t have much hair left!

First of all, happy birthday and welcome! :slight_smile:

You can upload and embed pictures directly in the forums, just click the “Upload” button when writing a post (see blue arrow in the following screeshot). Alternatively, you can upload the to some external image hosting like Imgur (https://imgur.com/upload). The app Shutter is quite powerful for taking, editing and uploading screenshots, maybe worth having a look.

You can post code blocks with the corresponding button as well (see red arrow in the following screenshot). Alternatively, especially for larger pieces of code, you can also use external hosting like Pastebin (https://pastebin.com/).

edit: Of course I forgot to attach the screenshot…

Auswahl_010

Welcome everyone! :slight_smile:

Since it was asked, I do suggest new users take a look in their ‘messages’ inbox. You should receive a Welcome to Manjaro! message containing information such as the basics of using this forum, how to use markdown, and community guidelines.

Happy New Year!

Hey all,

I’m in the US, I’ve been a programmer/software architect for about 15 years using primarily open source technologies, so I’ve always loved the various Linux distribution communities and how helpful they are. Most of my work has revolved around C++/Ruby/Python/Javascript with some Elixir/C# sprinkled in. I started out as a windows user, progressed into a Mac maybe 10 years ago but quickly moved into Linux. Since then I’ve transitioned from Ubuntu -> Mint -> Arch -> Manjaro and I’ve committed fully since reaching the Arch and Manjaro area of my life lol. Looking forward to being here and it’s great to meet everyone.

-J

Hey all

Greetings from Denmark! I’m a Software Test Engineer primarily using python and robot framework on Mac and Windows machines for a while, but I really want to start using linux more. I came across Manjaro a few years ago while preparing for my thesis and I love it - I love Arch also, but I could never muster the patience to successfully use it for an extended period of time and then because I have several laptops and desktops that I’m switching between I couldnt figure out how to keep them all in sync. I have also been using Fedora on some of the machines.

I’m joining the forum because I want to dig deeper into this distro, and I really think Manjaro is much more suitable for my needs than Fedora. Aside from being a test engineer, I have also started a coworking space that I want to equip with several thin client workstations… They will probably run on a debian server, but for my own needs I will try to run way cooler on my Manjaro.

:slight_smile: