New to the forum, introduce yourself

Could be a pretty accurate answer though :smiley:
Thank you, love the distro. People need to get more involved on the forums with tutorials and such

I’m getting some of my badges :smile: @dd721411

the forum itself is an RPG game :smiley:

It really seems like i’m trying to level up! lol
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

[http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/stickrpg]

Most Manjaro packages are from Arch and that means they have no specified profile and are in very raw, vanilla form. Server distros Like Ubuntu or Cent OS are pre-configuring them so they are easier to figure out, plus there are tons of guides for them. You can use Arch or Manaro for a server but it will be more difficult to configure. Also, rolling releases are not the best choice for servers, still some do use them like that.
If you are new, I rather recommend using Ubuntu Server for a server distro as it seems to be the most user friendly. However, if you want to have LEMP stack on your home computer then you have to dig into the topic further and look for original documentation. This will be a hard read thou… It all depends on your knowledge and experience.

Servers are generally a bit harder to manage but purer and more stable then desktop versions. If you want to pay and test with servers it’s good to install a server distro in virtual machine first. There is a tool called Vagrant that works with virtualbox and allows for extremely quick virtual server OS setups so you could play and mess your distro all you want, because you can rebuild in a minute or so.

I don’t have intentions to run a server. I like to locally develop websites and migrate them to a live host. Manjaro is perfect for what I need. Manjaro needs more attention from web developers. I think it’s amazing

I’ll thumb through my bookmarks and get nginx unit working eventually. For now I have a guide I posted last night for LAMP+wordpress. I don’t want to settle for that

Hello everyone!

My name is Juan, I am from Argentina and I am a long term linux user (started playing with Slackware 7, but began using it full time since 2005 with Debian Sarge). I have decided to ditch Fedora after using it for many years (almost 10) and I am currently considering Manjaro since I don’t want to deal with the hassle of installing Arch ( I have become old and lazy).

Besides that I am a web developer and I have a couple of apps coded in python, ruby and go that I did on my free time (mostly for personal/familiar use).

So, that’s it, see you around.

Che, bienvenido :wink:

In that case start with arch wiki and follow the links for other elements of the stack:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Apache_HTTP_Server

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nginx

@ cscs
Gracias !

@ michaldybczak
I’ll check that out!

New here, and new to anything Arch-based.

Not technically skilled but not afraid of the terminal either. I started with SUSE Linux Pro 9.3 (before Open SuSE existed) in 2004. It was an hours-long Hail Mary download and install after a borked Windows auto update. I thought Linux would be interesting to try but never expected the install to work. It did and I’ve been with Linux on my main machine ever since.

Lots of flavors, but mostly Fedora, zenwalk, debian, Slackware, and most recently Solus. In recent years I just want a working system as close to the Stallman sense of free as is practical.

Edit: An early distribution I used was frugalware, which was somewhat popular in '05 or so. It used pacman at the time, though, so pacman -Syu was one of the earliest linux commands I learned.

What do you mean? I already have installed and used LAMP and LEMP on local host. Nginx was harder to figure out but I’m working on Nginx unit(LEMU) stack and I’m probably going to stay with LAMP + admirer for now. It’s an easy setup and works with sub folders a lot easier than LEMP does. I use local host to develop sites and then migrate them to a host.

My name’s Adam. I got started with Linux around the turn of the century (2000) with Linux Mandrake 7, which I still keep around in a VM for nostalgia. Moved on to Red Hat (before RHEL), SUSE (before SLED), and finally the brown one (turned purple) until recently, when I started having some… differences with the direction they were taking. Pleased with Manjaro so far. After all, it’s number one on Distrowatch, so that means it must be the best and most popular. :wink: I’m here for the cutomizability, performance, rolling releases, and to finally come back and give KDE a go since it was my desktop of choice back in the KDE 3 days and as a palate cleanser since I have to use Oracle Enterprise Linux at work all day.

Hi all. I’ve been using Manjaro KDE on one of my netbooks since mid June 2018 starting with 17.1.10-stable and have been exploring and experimenting since then. I reinstalled with 17.1.11-stable in the second week of July primarily to tidy up the mess left by my experimentation & really like it. As I’ve now (well, a couple of weeks ago) installed it on a second machine I thought it was about time to join up here.

Am looking forward to trying the 18.x release.

My first foray into Linux was with Mint in early 2016. when looking for a way to fix a borked 7" tablet; I had an idea to try Linux tools & ended up booting Linux on it. Liking what I saw, I installed it on an old Dell laptop & soon abandoned my plans to re-install Win7 on my better netbook; this was planned for after the forced Win10 “upgrade” period. It didn’t take long to put Linux on all my machines.

I have tried various distros in virtual machines and also use the likes of DSL and Puppy on ancient hardware. I decided on Manjaro as a candidate for replacement of Mint KDE on the machines which have it, following the announcement that they are dropping KDE. I found it to be an excellent choice; strong plus points including the stability, update strategy, responsiveness, looks, performance and low resource overhead, along with a great set of programs already included.

It is, overall, a fantastic distro for me and I really appreciate all the effort that goes in to it.

Hi BG . Figured I’d see you in these parts at some point . Welcome aboard .

Thanks! I see there’s at least one other familiar face on here (DeMus). I’ve been lurking for a while & getting used to the OS & its ways, all good stuff. :smile:

Just need to find out why KVM doesn’t work (disabld by BIOS) but it did in Mint 17.3 KDE 32-Bit! I was missing some system files on that which may have avoided the KVM check … still, that’s for another thread.

Manjaro KDE (64-Bit) seems a lot snappier than Mint. The Mint disk is now in another netbook in case I need to print something or run 64-bit VMs. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Kdemeoz is running around here as well , I’m sure you’ll see her on at some point . Agree on Manjaro KDE being snappier than Mint , it’s been just as stable for me as Mint was as well .

18 has been out for a while now, you probably are running 18 by now too.

Hi I am from Spain and I have been in Linux many years, and I go to give a chance Manjaro :smiley:

That’s nice of you :wink: :slight_smile:

We try to be nice to other distros. We all do things differently, and are open to discussion about the pros and cons of each.