New to the forum, introduce yourself

Wow, I just realized that hehehehe!

Glad to be the 1000th user that posted in this thread!

First time Manjaro user. Been using Arch since April, before that… nothing, since 2006.
So far I like it a lot.
I have had two issues: 1 - Installing Manjaro Gnome, the computer never found the GRUB. After MANUALLY pointing BIOS to it, it worked.
However, I then installed Manjaro i3wm on a separate partition (so no double DE:s, but rather two parallell full installations) and that installation picked up the Gnome install as well. So all is fine and dandy now.
My only other minor thing is… I get I am a noob on these forums, but to not be allowed to vote on the stable update result? Seems weird. Statistics are statistics, and well… I can’t see a logical reason why that topic would be blocked for me atm.

Hi to all,i’m from Russia,i use linux 1 year.Started with Ubuntu Mate,but it was so buggy and crashed a lot of times that i moved to OpenSuse,all was fine,i really loved it,BUT,package manager was really strange and difficult,so i moved again,i tried Arch,and for first time all was perfect,after some time i saw Manjaro,and give it a try,i loved it from first moment,It was simple and easy to use.Now i use OpenBox Community Edition and all is perfect.

1 hour is really not much :slight_smile:
Maybe you have to wait another 23 hours to see that you really mean it :wink:

Hello all,

Came to Manjaro from Linux Mint. I am using the excellent community Cinnamon edition.

I made the switch because I was tired of re-installing LTS editions all the time. It was becoming tedious. I have way better things to do with my time than backup and install from scratch every six months.

I also LOVE the Manjaro package manager. I love that everything I have needed is available either in the main repos, or via AUR. No more questionable PPAs! I loved that I didn’t need to launch Firefox in order to install Chrome and that I could uninstall it directly from the package manager. Everything I have needed has been right there.

I haven’t been active on these forums because all the questions I’ve had have been easily Googled. In reality, There hasn’t been very many questions! My relationship with Manjaro has been superb. I think I have found a brand new home…that I don’t ever have to re-install! :smile:

Don’t get too excited about AUR… in many ways it is quite similar to PPAs. As they say: “Caveat emptor”. :wink: Oh and @bug67 Welcome!

Greetings, i am long time win7 user, mostly gaming & media purposes so basic stuff really. I have tried ubuntu couple times before over the years but always failed at very start, either installing dual boot or not getting hang of it at all. Well years later i really want it to give a another try for Linux and did quick research without going into the details yet again but managed to find this lovely Linux Manjaro and even though i failed and /reinstalled everything few times due to lack of experience of everything, i didnt give up, now i am running rather stable system and learning all the time something new and interesting! Hopefully yall do not mind very newbish questions for time to time :slight_smile:

Been moving from Linux Mint Cinnamon to Manjaro Cinnamon as well. Manjaro Cinnamon is really the best OS I’ve ever had. :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum, @bug67 (:

Hello world,

I am from the US and I just started using Manjaro after I decided to take the dive into Linux to make myself a more literate computer…person? Ya sure that.

Anyways got a few years of experience with the Windows environment and dabbled in Ubuntu and Pop_OS on and off for a bit BUT have decided to take make a permanent switch and only using Windows on backup systems for homework and the family/visitors.

My primary build is on a refurbished HP ProDesk G1…which has been all sorts of fun learning that it doesn’t love Linux build it seems. So lots of learning ahead for me!

Look forward to all the help and knowledge this place offers!

Up until about 3 or 4 years ago I was a windows user. I had contributed money to various distros probably 20 years ago, hoping to get them user-friendly enough to compete with windows. Apparently I waited too long because when I finally did try I found Linux to be way better than windows.

I was using Ubuntu back then and still have that original install on my desktop. I just purchased a laptop and threw Manjaro on it. My biggest complaint about Linux is that there seems to be no easy way to get up to speed on it. With Ubuntu everything just worked. Worst case scenario I could do a search and get a copy and pasteable terminal answer. Never had any issues getting anything working on Ubuntu. However I also never learned Linux since everything " just worked ".

So the one frustration that I have with Linux is figuring out how to learn about it. There seems to be no obvious, good source for a new person to go to get up to speed. I am cluless on Manjaro and when I try to read up on something it’s like it’s written in a foreign language. I guess 3 years working under the magic of Ubuntu has taught me nothing about Linux.

@billy try googling “learn linux” :wink: There’s more out there than you’ll ever read… :slight_smile:

Do you really mean Linux or a specific distro? For Manjaro it’s simple: Manjaro wiki, Manjaro guide, Forum, IRC, Arch wiki. Start with pacman, mirrors and mhwd, then AUR and PKGBUILD. That should be basics. Rest you will get in usage with time.
As to Linux itself in general I guess it’s too broad topic so trying various distros and DEs, experimenting, braking systems, fixing them, running a server - all those things are a good learning experience. Of course you can install Arch the Arch way to learn the basics of the system build if you’re into it… For some it’s tedious and unnecessary, for others fascinating and… boring ;).

Lot of depends on what you need to know about Linux. Just to use it successfully on desktop, server, do you want to be sysadmin, developer, content creator, business usage, etc. All those cases require different skills and knowledge.
All in all there is no simple answer as to how to learn Linux. However there is simple answer as to how to start: install chosen distro and do what you want to learn and be inquisitive, resourceful and tenacious. And above all, have fun!

Hello! Brand new to Manjaro. A previous ubuntu user. I’m going to have a lot of questions and i’m looking forward to learning more about Manjaro and Arch. Hopefully i can meet some cool new people and learn a lot! Does Manjaro have an official IRC?

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_IRC

Hi there, my name is Olli from Germany, I am a mechanical engineer and I have been using Linux for quite some time. I used Arch a couple of years ago with openbox and built some conky themes. I have been using debian on a raspberry pi-top for the last years, cause its fun and I just recently bought a new laptop for gaming. There I am using Win10 and Xubuntu, I am a big xfce fan and you sadly need win10 for most of the steam games. I but consequently switch to Ubuntu if the game runs there too and I found out that a lot of steam games that are flagged for win10 only, run in Ubuntu nevertheless. :slight_smile:
I have a small Acer Convertible with a Touchscreen on which I run Endless OS. That is a pretty little OS optimized for touchscreen usage, I like it a lot.
I just bought a new laptop with a docking station and it has win10 for our presentation software in the office but I will dualboot it with Linux and work in Linux only. I only today stumbled over Manjaro again, read about it some time ago and I see it came a long way. Will go for a dual boot with Manjaro xfce and I am looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

In recent years I’ve switched to duckduckgo but yes I have been doing that for years. My problem is not finding information, it is in finding useful information. There seems to be two main categories: Never used linux and unfamiliar with computers sales pitch type content and high level Linux experts. I have yet to find something to take an experienced windows user to a reasonable competency in Linux.

Ubuntu has been so problem free for me that I actually never had to really learn Linux in 3 years of being a full time Linux user. I installed Ubuntu and everything just worked. It’s been a lot like being a Mac user in that regard.

So now I want to become a somewhat competent Linux user and I feel lost. Everything that I find is either basic descriptions of what Linux is and it’s history or in-depth lingo ridden text that might as well be in Greek.

thanks for the tips. What you are talking about here has described my experience exactly. Too much information and too many choices to try and sift through it to find what I need. I’ve already read up on some of the stuff that you listed and I’ll read more. I’ll get it eventually as I always do. I guess my point is the reason that I came to Manjaro from Ubuntu is because I was told that it is Linux newbie friendly. So far that has not been my experience. However I am using KDE and my cousin who recommended it is using Gnome. I might just switch and see if Gnome is better for me.

Manjaro is a user-friendly Linux distribution

Zusammenfassung

Well, it seems to depend on how much technicalities one can digest at once. I am not a technical user but I do understand some of things (not all) and I am active community member so I read forum regularly and try to help others (usually newbies :stuck_out_tongue: ) the best I can. This allows me to learn, at least to the level I can comprehend. Some things are just too demanding and are not my thing.

Still, I am not discouraged since Manjaro works for me and I’m using it ca. 3 years and if there is some issue, I can handle it so I feel confident.

My advise is, just use the system and don’t try to learn forcefully, be part of the community and learn and dig deeper only if you need something (to solve a problem or because of curiosity). This relaxed approach may be more natural to you. If everything works, just grab something and read and experiment: samba, theming, files ownership and permissions, AUR, etc. There are many topics that you can pursue but it’s best to do it when you have time and space to do it, meaning, everything else works and you are just curious to dig into that one topic. Of course you may brake something… that’s also part of the learning experience.

You don’t need to know all details at once, unless you want to be Linux sysadmin. For running a Manjaro you don’t need lot of technical knowledge but at least have some inner geek side.

I discovered that I have free access to Lynda.com through my library… they offer a number of Linux courses of various types & flavors. This may apply to a number of stateside users… See: https://www.lynda.com/search?q=arch+linux