New to the forum, introduce yourself

I thought that is where I posted but apparently not.
If possible could it be moved there.
Thanks for the welcomes.

poorguy1.

My English is a bit rusty, though I use English everyday, I don’t study as much as I used to, so… sorry for any mistake :smile:

I know linux for 7 years, and for 7 years I use linux. I started with Ubuntu 10.04 thanks to a friend of mine that taught me the basics, back then it was so much fun to play around with the compiz settings in GNOME 2, lol. Then I moved to Fedora cause Ubuntu started to use Unity and I didn’t like it, but it was super advanced for me back then so I moved on to openSuse, it was easier and I could handle it for a while.
A year latter I return to use Ubuntu, Unity was more stable and usable, but i didn’t stay for long and I started to jump between distros for a while. I have stopped that and stayed in Ubuntu Gnome for a year and a half.
When I bought my new computer, I decided to give Manjaro a try, and I loved it!!! I don’t pretend to change that for a LONG LONG time :blush:
I’m using Manjaro for a Month now, but I have enter the forum just yesterday.
Yesterday I build 2 packages by myself cause I had an error about keys and didn’t know that it was as simple as adding the key using one command :expressionless:
LOL, now it’s funny, I read the entire documentation about PKGBUILD and makepkg just to use these tools

That’s my story in the Linux world!!!

Wow! I try to read the forums multiple times daily, and especially get a kick out of this and the new “what country are you from” threads. I think most fo the people using our forums are familiar with me–the old timers, certainly–but I’ve not “formally” introduced myself. Let me correct that error!

My name is Ken. c00ter is the name of my dear deceased feline companion, named after the mechanic in The Dukes of Hazzard.

I learned about Manjaro when it was first reviewed in Distrowatch several years ago. (I was running Xfce DEs at that time, so it caught my eye.) I adopted it and became active in the old forums, initially under the username ‘deadcats’ and remained active in the forums until politics here got a bit too heavy and I left to return to Debian.

I returned to using Manjaro a couple of years ago after the Community exorcised the forum demons (and some good people, alas), and have been running it full-time on my wee Netbook, and sometimes on my i7. I also run vanilla Arch and am active in the Arch forums. I am also active in several other Arch-based distro forums, such as Antergos. I enjoy the richness of experience and knowledge within the Arch community and throughout the entire Linux-sphere.

My experience with Linux starts in the mid-90s when I blew up an CRT monitor trying to set the scan rate (incorrectly) when Linux kernel 1.0 was released, and I installed from a Walnut Creek CDROM. Because of that little minor incident my wife ended my Linux experiments until 2001, when I slipped Mandrake onto my computer unbeknownst to her.

In my Linux journeys I’ve run about every distribution, but have not done two things: Bisected a kernel or installed Gentoo. Both those things can wait 'til another lifetime. :wink:

Now I’m old, retired, and have all the (legal) cannabis I can smoke, so I can continue enjoying and annoying people in Linux forums as I have since 2001! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I love the newcomers! Every single one of you reminds me of the joys of discovery I faced learning Linux, and I sincerely wish all of you the very best! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards

EDIT: I try to be helpful–generally. Really.

Hello, I’m Adam and I’m mildly new to Linux. I’ve used Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSuse as my distros of choice. I’ve taken a small step into Arch Linux and decided to see how Manjaro plays out. My ultimate goal over time is to finally leave Microsoft Windows, but for now, I’ll still dual-boot it, until I have a newer PC that can run high-end games within a virtual PC without any lag.

Hi all,

greetings from brazil

Hi. I am back again.
Manjaro about few days now. very good.

I could not decide between linux mint xfce and Manjaro xfce. So I tried dual booting. I have installed single distros to the whole HDD before but never did dual boot before. So I installed linux mint xfce as second distro. Please dont jump on me. I am not good in manual partitioning. Just chose the linux mint installer option of installing it along side Manjaro. Went well. But during booting I cannot boot to Manjaro.

As a second attempt I installed linux mint XFCE first and then installed Manjaro XFCE along side it using the standard installer option comes with Manjaro. Now this did wonder. Now I have Manjaro and Linux Mint both installed.

So this tells me that there is a difference in how Linux Mint and Manjaro performs the automatic dual boot options. Seems like Manjaro is better as I explained before.
I want to have this for a month at least to see how updates in Manjaro performs becasue I heard that it may be the one I have to watch out with a rolling distro.

Just wanted to share my story. So far so good. See you all in the next update.
Nellai

… And HappyTrails to you Matheus from Rio Grande del Norte.

:smile:

Rio Grande do Sul aqui kkkkkkkkk

Hello from good old New York!
Brand new to Manjaro and the Arch system but so far I am enjoying it.
I have used a few distros over the years, mainly debian based, so I’m happy to have made this switch.
I put the xfce edition of manjaro on an old Dell inspiron laptop that a friend gave me to work on and it runs beautifully. Still customizing it a bit, but out of the box it is really nice.

Hi and welcome :slight_smile:
Just incase other new users run into similar dual-boot scenarios and may see this post, I’ll clarify a bit here.
Many linux distros use grub - but some are configured differently. Specifically manjaro’s grub is tailored for manjaro and is required for it to boot well. That is the reason your second attempt worked. The grub from manjaro can boot manjaro as well as other distros. But using, say, mint or ubuntu’s grub you will not be able to boot manjaro. If anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation [or cannot see other OS’s], the solution is to sudo update-grub from manjaro.
Cheers!

Yes, I noted your background image. That is why I mentioned the big river near me.
https://forum.manjaro.org/uploads/default/original/2X/7/7f1bab39e25443e9d48c16ec8bbec1dcd5f5f736.png

Salude! :beers:

Nice one to know.

Probably new users like me (even though I am using linux for almost 6 years) never tried dual boot myself. I have removed windows completely and installed linux mint before. Only now I to try both Linux Mint and Manjaro I tried this dual boot option. But I still went for the easier one which comes with the installer so that I do not need to do the partitioning myself.

Yes. Then for those who want to go by this easier dual boot option then install your first linux distro and then install Manjaro. This works like magic.

Thanks for your explanation. @cscs

G’day, an Aussie newbie here. I have limited Linux experience (had a Win 7 / Ubuntu dual-boot laptop a few years ago), but decided to say goodbye to Microsoft altogether and am now using Manjaro exclusively. This forum is a fantastic resource!

Thanks,
vern

Hi there,

A new Manjaro User from Belgium (although in Canada for the moment). So I started using Linux around 8 years ago when I first discovered Ubuntu. The first few days I liked the change of desktop environment from Windows to Linux but after these few days I got really bored and it didn’t please me that much after all. Around 4-5 years ago I tried to install Ubuntu again and this time I promised myself to keep it a little bit longer because I really liked the idea of open source. Same thing as last time, I kept it for around 1-2 months but couldn’t really get used to it. Some months ago I told myself that I would find the right Linux distro for me because I wanted to distance myself from Windows (don’t get me wrong, I like Windows too). First it was Linux Mint, then Fedora and finally I found (thank you heaven) Manjaro. I can confidently say, Manjaro (KDE) is the first distribution that I really like and enjoy. I use it since one month and in that time I have not used Windows once (still keeping it for Word and Adobe purposes). I can see myself in some months switching to Manjaro completely.

A big thanks and compliment to the developers and the forum. Manjaro is the perfect mix between beautiful and efficiency. I don’t find it any more difficult then getting used to Windows but it is very beautiful and a lot more stuff to costumize then Windows. I hope to get really acknowledged with Manjaro and I’m looking forward on staying with Manjaro.

A big thank you again.

Hi, @brissie_boy , assume from your nick you’re from Brisbane.
Hope the hurricane Debbie didn’t get you. Exactly a year ago to the date I was in Arlie Beach on a stop to Whitsundays. Spent a whole week on the Islands, rather out at sea. Hope the Islands are not that devastated though the papers were not too optimistic. Welcome to Manjaro.

Hi @gohlip, yep I’m in Brisbane. Bit embarrassing but I’ve never been to Airlie or the Whitsundays! But with the Sunshine and Gold Coasts both within 90 minutes of my home, I don’t feel the need to travel too far for beautiful beaches :slight_smile: Survived Debbie no worries - thanks for asking!

vern

Hi! I’m a user from the Czech Republic. I’ve been using various Linux distributions for quite a long time. The main purpose I’ve been doing so is as a “sandbox environment” (either vmware or a tiny partition in multi-boot systems) solely for sensitive digital tasks like e-shopping and e-banking where I would like to prevent any risks of malware / virus infections.

From time to time I also give Linux a try as my main operating system for common tasks but unfortunately the philosophy of Linux - total modifiabilty - causes that the effort is very fragmented and neither branch is polished up to bring a flawless unobtrusive experience. Having said that, I find recent versions of Manjaro already very mature and I’m just actually giving it a try as an environment for common task.

I appreciate all the features that are highlighted on the Manjaro website (handy installer, nice styling, choice of kernels, manjaro settings, choice of software (with option of tested by Manjaro and bleeding edge from Arch Linux in a single package manager), etc. In particular I highly commend job of designers because all the Manjaro flavours that I tried (XFce, Deepin, Cinnamon and KDE) look and feel very pleasant. Even if you compare it to other distributions that aim to look nice (Zorin, Elementary), none of them is as sleek as Manjaro!

I will try to bring suggestions for improvements now and then. My first suggestion is to add a checkbox to the installer “Do not install any productivity applications” that would avoid installing any user applications that would not be needed for the system, respective desktop and Manjaro settings. The reason is the usage for virtual / sandbox environments where users want to use the systems (including the bells and whistles of the Manjaro specific styling) but do not want to have the system cluttered with any other application except those they later install with pacman…

You should really check out manjaro architect to accomplish what you want in cli :wink:

Hello all.

I’m in the a remote area of West Virginia, USA. I’m retired U.S. Navy, and occasionally keep myself busy as a freelance writer.

‘Been a Linux user since 2000 or so for my home computers. SUSE was my first flavor, and I’ve tried a few since then, eventually settling on Mint. I left Linux for OS X when I took job for a couple of years that required use of the latest Microsoft Office and Adobe software, and have only recently returned to the fold.

I’ve got Ubuntu on my current system, but find that Unity isn’t a good fit for me. I’m downloading the iso for the KDE version of Manjaro as I type this, and plan to install it in the morning. Likely I’ll be scouring the forums in the interim. I’ve been watching video reviews – absolutely beautifully done distribution. I look forward to getting this on my system.

The development version of calamares has something similar to this