New to Manjaro. Question about using AUR responsibly

Hello,

New to Manjaro and AUR. I read the thread titled “Responsible use of AUR” in this forum and I have a few questions:

1. If I want to grab an application that does not appear in the Manjaro repository is it common to just activate the AUR repository in “Add/Remove Software”?
  2. In the thread mentioned above, it said that one shouldn’t turn on Check for updates in the AUR section in “Add/Remove Software”. How does one get notified or receive updates if that’s the case?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!

P.S. I changed my updates to 24 hours to lessen the load as suggested in the above thread “Responsible use of AUR”.

welcome :wave:

yes. say x package is not available in the manjaro official repository but it is in the aur. enabling the aur in add/remove software or pamac will not add that package in the repository but now you can easily install it from the aur.

most apps don’t need updates every 24 hours. you can run a manual checkup once a week or so - that is sufficient - unless there is a specific issue that needs to be addressed.

you can learn more about the aur on manjaro wiki

1 Like

Thank you @ishaanbhimwal

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.