New to manjaro but not happy

I appreciate the near instant support. I might give it a go soon the next time i need a new install.
I just watched a video on how to enable or disable snap out of the box.
I know the deal with acer and canon printers. But they are cheaper.

the inxi command with Fazy did not work. This is the basic…
inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i5-8250U (-MT MCP-) speed/max: 2000/2040 MHz Kernel: 5.4.0-59-generic x86_64 Up: 1h 26m
Mem: 2530.7/7865.6 MiB (32.2%) Storage: 238.47 GiB (50.1% used) Procs: 279 Shell: bash 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38

bhante@subhuntu:~$ inxi -Maz
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Swift SF313-51 v: V1.10 serial: Chassis: type: 10 serial:
Mobo: KBL model: Snow_KL v: V1.10 serial: UEFI: Insyde v: 1.10 date: 07/12/2019

Ah yes… then try inxi -Faz , the -y parameter does not work on ubuntu…

Snaps work, but they are optimized for ubuntu in first place. So don’t expect that everything works here the same, but most does…

cannot put the text here for some reason. “cannot post links to post”

I posted it for you here:

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-59-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
           parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-59-generic root=UUID=2ab155f6-ed91-4aae-8e54-2fe4c6e97d01 ro quiet 
           splash vt.handoff=7 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 tk: Qt 5.12.8 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Swift SF313-51 v: V1.10 serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: KBL model: Snow_KL v: V1.10 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: 1.10 date: 07/12/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 28.8 Wh condition: 42.7/48.9 Wh (87%) volts: 15.4/15.2 model: LGC AC14B8K type: Li-ion 
           serial: <filter> status: Discharging cycles: 274 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8250U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake family: 6 model-id: 8E (142) 
           stepping: A (10) microcode: E0 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28800 
           Speed: 1999 MHz max: 2040 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1999 2: 1994 3: 2000 4: 1990 5: 1989 6: 1975 7: 1990 8: 1983 
           Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Split huge pages 
           Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable 
           Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
           Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
           Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
           Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
           Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling 
           Type: srbds mitigation: Microcode 
           Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           chip ID: 8086:5917 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa compositor: kwin_x11 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:9d71 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-59-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lite-On driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel 
           port: 4000 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 168c:003e 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 119.40 GiB (50.1%) 
           SMART Message: Required tool smartctl not installed. Check --recommends 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Kingston model: RBUSNS8154P3256GJ1 size: 238.47 GiB block size: physical: 512 B 
           logical: 512 B speed: 15.8 Gb/s lanes: 2 serial: <filter> rev: E8FK12.3 scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 106.74 GiB size: 104.57 GiB (97.96%) used: 74.80 GiB (71.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.5 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 257 Uptime: 1h 30m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 2.52 GiB (32.9%) Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 clang: 10.0.0-4ubuntu1 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.38 
1 Like

@bksubhuti
[quote=“megavolt, post:8, topic:47608”]
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
[/quote]

If there are fans, then the fans are not recognized. That’s also the reason for the higher power consumption because it also means that the power management does not work.

Could be possible that the high power consumption has to do with the UEFI. With acpi_osi="Windows 2015" for example, you can make the UEFI think it is using Windows. It works on some Acer Laptops.

2 Likes

As an ex Ubuntu user, you should be able to use a GUI.
The most Ubuntu friendly installation method involves opening the ‘add’ program (called Pamac) from a menu.

When I open mine, I then type ‘inkscape’ and have options for:

1. Official Repositories 162.2 MB
  2. Snap (not sure)

In a terminal, you can do ‘pamac search inkscape’ and find:
inkscape 1.0.1-3 extra Professional vector graphics editor
I do like to use ‘yay’, and yay inkscape brings up the same option, but with a size:
1 extra/inkscape 1.0.1-3 (18.0 MiB 154.7 MiB) Professional vector graphics editor

In a browser, you can find inkscape has options for Flatpak and for Snap, on Ubuntu it’s a dreaded ppa option which is liable to cause no end of problems.

The snap is 107MB, and I’m not sure how big the Flatpak version would be, but definitely I’d say over 100MB, and I’d say surely on Ubuntu the Snap would be the best option… so the worst you can say is that Manjaro offers exactly the same option.

My advice is to learn and compare the tools available, starting with the ‘add/remove’ gui, open also pamac in terminal, and maybe another terminal to look at ‘yay’ (you can do `pamac install yay’ to compare those).

I don’t think 100MB is huge for inkscape. I think Inkscape is, indeed, a large software.

To get information on my screen, I use two tools - xsensors is a good way to put up a window showing data. For monitoring, I generally open up a conky which has 3 windows. One is persistent and shows network activity, a clock, RAM and CPU bars. The next runs for 2 minutes and shows disk activity, disks and temperatures, CPU frequency and temperatures and fan speed.

The last one is just a quick one, showing the last timeshift snapshot, and the result of ${execi 5000 df -h --total /mnt/*} which lists all my mounted drives (all mounted on /mnt).

I’d suggest starting with pamac install xsensors and find ways to put salient data into a small conky.

xsensors uses data which needs this:
1 extra/lm_sensors 3.6.0-2 (135.4 KiB 478.2 KiB) (Installed)

Have fun :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll have to try the acpi_osi=‘Windows 2015’ and see what happens… maybe tomorrow or another day (if it crashes… i can recover or install manjaro).

i put the acpi_osi=“Windows 2015” param at the end of the linux line and it still says NA for fan. I would guess that the manjaro would be the same.

I don’t think so, I got the same inxi report for fan speed and my power consumtion is pretty low, fan control works fine as well. :wink:

You are right, ich bin ein Vollhonk… :stuck_out_tongue:

The fans work and turn on and off maybe as needed. I got a huge battery drop after i configured or installed ardour . I’ll have to figure out what went wrong . It will probably be the same with manjaro.

Do i get the latest ardour on manjaro without paying?

oh… i see ardour 6.51… interesting.

fan seems quieter with this acpi setting.

Upstream issue. Acer have really poor support Linux ACPI all time. No suprise that did not work here. Please share

sudo dmesg > ~/dmesg.log

dmesg.log file share to pastebin.com. In reply use URL. Thanks :wink:

This laptop has dual internal digital array microphone, like most Intel 8th gen KabyLake CPU laptops (for Cortana support). The preinstalled OS requires both a Realtek driver for the audio codec and an Intel SST driver for the microphone array

inxi system data is only showing Linux audio driver snd_hda_intel for the Realtek codec
so you probably need to install the package for the Intel Sound Open Firmware drivers

pamac install sof-firmware

And you also need to use a later Linux Kernel because the Sound Open Firmware driver was not supported until kernel v5.7
so I suggest you use Manjaro Settings Manager to install kernel v5.10

manjaro-settings-manager -m msm_kernel

Frustrating - posted `inxi -Faz’ have you installed ‘sensors’ package?

pamac install lm_sensors will that do it?

Can you open terminal and type sensors and post that?

That is because Ubuntu has inxi 3.0 and Manjaro is running inxi 3.2. Beside that pamac will not help, because Manjaro is installed on a VM and the HOST is Ubuntu. So the output of inxi is Ubuntu, not Manjaro.

Sensors should be installed on Ubuntu because the temperature of the cpu is displayed.

You can boot the Manjaro live usb image and run commands there and then. You can also try to make a persistent USB install.

1 Like

oh. wow… i didn’t check back until now… Great I can’t wait to try (i’m in the process of installing manjaro now… but no luck with dd and startup disk creator does not allow manjaro iso)