New to Linux, need some pointers

Hello,

As the tittle says I have just installed Linux on my computer for the first time, Majaro 17.1.11 XFCE.

So far I love it and it works but I have a couple of issues, like my Bluetooth not working or no audio output. I know I can search or ask for these specific issues directly but I would prefer, at least initially, to try and figure it out by myself.

However I´m having some issues understanding the Linux logic, basically missing the basic info on how Linux works like for example basic code commands in the “Terminal” or where to find specific settings like device manager to see my hardware and see what´s up with my Bluetooth adapter.

I have done a lot of research but there´s just so much and different info out there I wanted to straight ask the Manjaro community if they can point me in the direction of where to get started to learn all these basic things, like a sort of noob guide, before I start asking for specifics.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

https://ss64.com/bash/

lsusb - usb devices
lspci - pci devices
lshw - hardware in general
… and so many many more in the list I linked above <3

Awesome, that looks to be exactly what I was looking for, I will dig in later today when I get home from work. Thanks!

1 Like

You can search in the Archwiki too, most of the things are valid for Manjaro https://wiki.archlinux.org/
kernels and video driver management are among different things

1 Like

OK there is plenty and some people have already sorted things out:

Or that one:

https://coderprog.com/unix-linux-system-administration-handbook-5th/

Have fun!

P.S.: In former times you would have gotten a SuSE Box with their fine manual books.

3 Likes

I like the command lsblk to view my hard drives, for a general overview use inxi.
If you prepend man for a command you get in the most cases a detailed help. If you add to a command -h or --help you get a short overview of the possible options.

Here is a startpoint to get and to give information about hardware.

…and new fresh stuff

Those can be very trivial things like switching some settings or more serious hardware bug/incompatibility but with you being new to Linux it’s hard to lead a helpful conversation. Actually it is possible but it will take more time and effort.
In theory both audio and bluetooth should work out of the box and if they aren’t that’s concerning but as I already said, that could be a simple thing. For example, you can use alsamixer in terminal to check if some audio outputs aren’t muted. Maybe there is an xfce settings for that, I don’t use xfce so I can’t tell. Anyway, you can start with that alasamixer.

Go to terminal and type alsamixer and then hit enter. Then F6 to see “devices” or whatever it is called. You have to choose proper one. In my case it’s the nr 1:

Then you will see something like this:

You right/left arrow keys to skip between “devices”. There are mode “devices” then on the list so go further right to reveal more of them. Use “m” key to unmute (it’s shown as MM) and up/down arrow keys to increase volume. Not all “devices” can be unmuted and those with no bars can’t be raised above zero. You need to experiment with it. Sometimes it turns out that the one, important output is just muted.

Of course it can be something quite different. Troubleshooting sound issues is a pain on Linux I’m afraid.

My question to you is: is the sound present in live usb session? If yes, then it should work after install. The same counts for bluetooth.

1 Like

First kudos to you for being willing to learn!

For me, its a 2 prong approach.

1. Learn exactly what you need to know to fix a specific problem (“urgent”/“priority”)
  2. Learn general stuff in a more broad sense (more relaxed, at your own pace)

A few keys I found helpful wrapping my head around…

• Command line is king, focus on that and everything else will get easier. Dont avoid it for a gui, dont be afraid of it.
  • Linux file systems do NOT require files to have extensions. Learn how to navigate files/folders in the command line.
  • There is almost always more than 1 way to do something, try them all and figure out which you like best.
  • Just about everything in Linux comes down to a configuration file someplace, which generally is just a text file that you edit parameters in. Get familiar with common ones for the things you use most.
  • Repetition is key. If you want to remember how to do something in the terminal, do it ALOT so it becomes second nature.

Also, I presume Manjaro has them (you may need to install them) but man pages are very helpful. It lets you view details, parameters and examples for just about any command.

Thanks for the advice. That´s exactly what I´m doing juts trying to set everything up and then pacing the learning process. From more reading and community help it seems the best starter is mastering the command line, tricky start as it´s basically all new for the different commands but there´s a lot of good info out there

Great source of info thanks, will be starting with those beginner books and focusing on getting the hand of the command line.

1 Like

Awesome, my bad for not reading those beforehand. I´ll ensure to better display Terminal outputs next time.

1 Like

Hey dude, sorry I was travelling and had not had a chance to try this out. Worked straight away, thank you very much. And the Bluetooth also started working after a reinstall!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by