New to Linux coming from windows 10

There is no right answer here.

As a total beginner to Linux the big advantage something like Ubuntu or Mint has is a massive user community and lots of available information.

Other than that, the best advice is to try them out and decide which you prefer.

1 Like

Now if you have any questions on terminology, we might be able to help with that.

My own windows refugee story: I tried Ubuntu for about 2 weeks before going on to Mint/Cinnamon for a couple of years. Mint doesn’t need a lot of fiddling to keep it going. I’ve since sampled several distros, before landing here.

There are a lot of Linux distros, each with something different to offer. Settle on one, get comfortable with it and then explore the others. The key is the (forum) support and (online) documentation.

1 Like

If you are willing to learn and read the Wiki, then Manjaro is pretty newbie-friendly too. There are many of us on the forum were once users of Ubuntu-based distros. You can search for their stories on the forum.

You can decide yourself after reading those experiences. I’ve heard ‘Solus’ is yet another polished and user-friendly rolling-released distro. There is a video about comparison between Manjaro and Solus on YouTube.

2 Likes

Having journeyed through Mint, SolydK, Neptune, and now being on Manjaro, I can definitely say that Manjaro runs the best and has the best community and clear instructions.

3 Likes

Do you want to be more technical, do you want to learn and understand, or do you just want your OS to work with as little input as possible?

This distinction is pretty important.

MX Linux if you just want an OS that works.

Once you become comfortable it is common for users to start experimenting with other distros … distro hopping.

I started with Mint but got bored with it quickly, frustrated with the whole PPA system … the result was distro hopping until I found Manjaro. Haven’t hopped since.

Why Manjaro?

4 Likes

I ended up using Manjaro due to no need to mess with PPAs, the ease of keeping up to date with current software, and of course the very friendly Forum. This is among other reasons as well but those are the main reasons I quickly moved over to this Distro.

4 Likes

I can only describe my circumstances and why I chose Manjaro. I had a Windows 7 Laptop, an Acer 7550. I added RAM to get it up to 8GB’s and replaced the hard drive with an 500 GB SSD. Yeah, luckily I haven’t ■■■■■■■■ it up, yet! Anyway…

I have tried a lot of different Linux Distributions. We call this, Distro-Hopping. The nice thing about Linux Distros is you can pretty much figure out quickly what will and won’t work for you. I originally started with Ubuntu, because…well, isn’t that where just about everybody starts when they come from Windows? You’ve done some homework. You see what appeals to you, and you’re probably seeing what doesn’t work for you in terms of appearance and general concepts of usability.

All that junk being said, what I found was that Manjaro with the Xfce environment not only worked without any issues, but I could make it look nice, too. If you like the looks of Elementary, you can make just about any desktop environment (DE) look like Elementary, Mac, Windows or something completely different. What you need to do is find a distribution that understands your equipment so you don’t have to jump in blindly trying to figure things out. That’s why a lot of people choose an Ubuntu variant to begin with.

What I’ve found from all of my testing is that Arch (or, in the case of Manjaro; Arch-Like distributions) run much better on my machine, and is much more stable. I find Manjaro is consistently the most solid and non-freezing/crashing distribution for my machine. Your experience might differ. I also find that the Xfce DE is solid and doesn’t give me fits trying to get it working with my needs. It’s also reasonably light on computer resources like RAM and CPU usage. I love KDE’s look and options, but I have the hardest time getting it to do what I want it to do. That’s why I picked Xfce after trying Gnome, KDE, Pantheon, Deepin (which is just friggin’ beautiful!) Budgie and OpenBox/i3. This is what matters the most: What works for you and your machine, and what will you continue to like days, months and hopefully years down the road.

Dang, that was long winded, wasn’t it?

3 Likes

Install & run whatever you want to learn. That’s the freedom Linux offers.

I would suggest Slackware, which is what my old mentor forced me into as a primera vista. Do that, and you’ll never need to apologize to anyone.

regards

2 Likes

Oh so thats how you got the way you are? Hah.

How long must one run slackware before they get their “No Apologies” pass ?

2 Likes

My old mentor was a mutherfucker! (Why isn’t that blanked?) :wink:

1 Like

Someone forgot the front wild card. :wink:

2 Likes

Sadistic … unless of course there is a safeword agreed to beforehand.

2 Likes

All Linux distributions are customizable! Try all desktop environments, and pick which one suits you! If you like elementary, try KDE with latte dock, or gnome with dash to dock. Possiblities on any DE are endless :slight_smile:!

2 Likes

If you like elementary, a more MacOS style, then you should also check out Gnome, Budgie, Xfce, Cinnamon and Mate. KDE and many of the other offerings have a more Windows OS in feel, but do experiment and see what fits.

2 Likes

As someone who strongly dislikes Mint, I would rather suggest having a look at Ubuntu Mate or Lubuntu which are IMHO the best Ubuntu editions.

2 Likes

Welcome!

As a new Win user who isn’t very technical, my recommendation is strongly Linux Mint or Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS to dip your toes in the water. They’re both tied to fixed LTS release points for better stability , include snaps or flatpak support for common up-to-date programs and have multi-year support. Both also have active, helpful support forums.

Once you’re comfortable there, distrohop via your USB stick where you can test the different environments prior to potential install.

Best!

3 Likes

I agree with @GreenMartian, Mint and Ubuntu Mate are great options to kick off with Linux.

As soon as you start to get comfortable with your first distro you might (but most likely will) get an appetite for experimentation with others.

2 Likes

My practice is to convert windozians without asking : they come to me with a bloated W$ they leave with a GNU/Linux install.

I used to install them on Xubuntu, I now install them on Manjaro Xfce. Didn’t notice any complication.

Both have a small learning curve, the main complication being the arguments :
sudo apt install is easier to grasp than sudo pacman -S
sudo apt upgrade is easier to remember than sudo pacman -Syyu

Mate is not as easy and tweakable as Xfce, Xfce is also so robust and so light and quick !

1 Like

for this very reason we have
pamac install
and
pamac upgrade
also
pamac build

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark