New SSD is not detected by Dolphin but some terminal commands actually detect its presence

I purchased a new ssd Samsung 980 Pro that I put inside an external enclosure, it is connected to my laptop through a USB connection.

It is not detected in that it does not appear in Dolphin.

However the result of sudo parted -l is

Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
Model: Samsung SSD 980 PRO (SCSI)                                         
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags: 

Model: WDC PC SN730 SDBPNTY-256G-1006 (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  274MB  273MB   fat32           EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      274MB   290MB  16.8MB                  Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      290MB   124GB  124GB                   Basic data partition          msftdata
 5      124GB   156GB  31.5GB  ext4                                          legacy_boot
 6      156GB   245GB  89.1GB  ext4
 7      245GB   256GB  10.5GB  linux-swap(v1)                                swap
 4      256GB   256GB  540MB   ntfs            Basic data partition          hidden, diag

So it appears as /dev/sda, whereas the result of sudo partprobe -s is

/dev/sda: msdos partitions
/dev/nvme0n1: gpt partitions 1 2 3 5 6 7 4

The first line with msdos partition is not present when the SSD is disconnected.
My only clue is the output Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label of parted command above.

How do I solve it? I read online it can be that the enclosure is the issue but I am not sure.

@jawanari Can you open parted with it? parted /dev/sda If it’s a new disk it might be worth a shot to completely reformat it.

Would you please tell me what the above command does? My plan with the new SSD is to clone my old SSD to it and to replace the old one. So would the above command affect the future cloning process in any way?

The command above doesn’t do anything by itself, it just opens the parted utility. Parted is used for managing partitions and partition tables.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Parted

If your new disk is formatted in a way your computer doesn’t recognize, it could be causing your error. Honestly that error can be caused by many things, but I think it might be a good place to start.

Parted should be used with extreme caution on disks that contain data because changing partitions and stuff can cause data loss. In your case, since it is a new disk you have nothing to lose.

If you are going to use the new disk to backup another drive like you mentioned, I would start by setting up your new disk with the same type of partition table (looks like GPT from your outout above).

If you have never used parted before, GParted might actually be easier to get started with because it has a GUI. It is just as robust a program and can do all the same stuff.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Opening the SSD with parted as you suggested indeed brings me to an interactive interface with a welcome message. It does look like it successfully opens the ssd.

What does it say if you type in print?

I got

Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
Model: Samsung SSD 980 PRO (scsi)                                         
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

It doesn’t have partition tableyet.

Before getting too deep in the weeds, what specifically is the enclosure device? Do you have a link to the model you purchased or anything like that?

Here is the :

amazon link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0827PB71G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

manual link (very minimal IMO) https://newwezhanoss.oss-cn-hangzhou.aliyuncs.com/contents/sitefiles2037/10186950/files/203696..pdf?Expires=1639497112&OSSAccessKeyId=LTAIekGM1705vEQp&Signature=OrvcD4jpraCgS1tCmP81OdwGJeE%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%3DEMC259701IN-US%20C2597-INEO.pdf&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf

product link C2597-ineo

Is there anything strange with the output of print option above?

That enclosure looks nice! I don’t see any reason that device would not be compatible but it’s always good to rule out basic stuff like that.

The only strange thing about the output your are getting is the error message. I’d say give it a shot to see if you can get it fixed in parted.

help will show you what options are available. I would start with trying to get a GPT label on it, then make a full-disk partition.

mklabel gpt

print to verify the partition table.

mkpart will help you set up the partiton. If you type in the commands one at a time, parted will prompt you for each step but I think you want something along the lines of mkpart primary 0% 100%. The percentages are an easy way to tell parted you want to start the partition at the beginning of the drive and finish at the end (instead of specifying byte-specific location on the disk).

You can set up a filesystem in parted if you want as well, but I wouldn’t even bother if you are going to clone another drive (it’s just going to write over it).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.