New Raspberry Pi Kernels & Related Packages

I tried following your guide and got to the point of getting into my router and had issues. I got busy doing manjaro things and forgot about it.

Actually for @8 years I have used the -rc branch with out any issues.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions ! Maybe my “guide” was not so clear.
I use wireguard feature every day from outside my home to check things on my rpi from my phone.

Switched kernels… all good.

1 Like

Ive upgraded to 5.9 on rpi4 but the performance output is lower 86fps in glxgears
vblank_mode=0
Is this still being tweaked regarding cpu governor scheduling etc?
I enabled docker features in cmdline.txt

I have done some tests this mourning using llvmpipe and V3D as renderer’s with kernels compiled SCHEDUTIL and ONDEMAND. There seemed to be a little less fps using llvmpipe but the fps was exactly the same with V3D. I also tested on a webgl test page with V3D and it was the same with V3D; of course you get nothing but a blank page using llvmpipe as a renderer on the webgl test page as there is no gpu acceleration detected.

Bottom line here the only thing really affected here if using llvmpipe as a renderer; which I do not. I get @40 fps less here.

Ive resolved this
Coincidentally I had set a manual resolution 1650x1050 in config.txt (mode 58) i switched back to 1920*1080 (mode 82) and its back to 600~ fps in glxgears on mainline 5.9

User error doh

1 Like

I built and pushed the latest linux-rpi4 kernel/kernel headers and the 2 new raspberrypi-bootloader packages to the unstable branch when the mirrors sink.

linux-rpi4 5.4.71-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.4.71-1

ADDED Oct. 19:

These new packages as of today push to the unstable branch when the mirrors sink.

linux-rpi4 5.4.72-1
linux-rpi4 headers-5.4.72-1
linux-rpi4 mainline-5.9.1-1
linux-rpi4-mainline headers-5.9.1-1
1 Like

The new 5.9.1 works well AFAIK. Does it include the bluetooth patch by the way ?

If you are referring to the Bluez security patches, yes they are there.

1 Like

Can I enable kms now or some other work needs to be done?

I never can get it to go in graphics mode here with kms unless I install xf86-video-fbturbo-git but you loose V3d then. I have not tried it yet on the 5.9 kernel yet though; at the moment I am testing the upstream kernel and it does not have V3d or VC4 and would take some time to switch it back to the RPi kernel.

Here is the link to the new 5.10-rc1 kernel and it’s headers.

I am not very happy with it as it has some issues with window movement and it will slow down the gears if you move the mouse when booted into V3D mode which is our normal install here. Other than that everything else seems ok.

There is no V3d upstream and the RPi default install uses llvmpipe but has been providing V3D capabilities if one desired so hopefully the RPi people will get this fixed before long. Remember this is the first of @8weeks for this kernel in the -rc status so it is very much in it’s early stage and I am sure there will be a ton of bug fixes being done in the next 8 weeks both in upstream and with the RPi folks. This should be expected on a cutting edge kernel. We have been lucky up to this point but the 5.10 kernel is going through a lot of changes.

Having said that if you switch over to using llvmpipe things are very smooth. To do this:

Install xf86-video-fbturbo-git

In /boot/config.txt bump up the gpu_mem from 64 
to 320 or 512 depending on the memory need in your setup.

md5sum:
9bfe5b39d89abe552137dea0891a5b24 linux-rpi4_5-10-rc1.tar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AbkdzLsIRZi2FjuvUQMdLrBKv8srEYw/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for this availability. With your feedback I think I will wait a little bit and I will give a try with rc3 or higher.
This kernel is the futur LTS one and it will be really interesting to use it with a full V3d support for RPi4 and all other changes. Maybe a good gift for Christmas… :heart_eyes:

Edit : remove typo alert

The new 5.9.2 is out and available from rpi team.

Yeah I saw that and also 5.4.73. I have been busy and had not have time to compile the kernels yet today.

Well after a busy day I finally got around building/testing the latest kernels and the 3 raspberry pi bootloader packages. They are pushed to the unstable branch.

When testing today I paid particular attention to the glxgears on all of the kernels and they have the same issue when moving my mouse. Maybe I have not been paying attention before. Playing youtube vids and the webgl test page I use does just fine on all the kernels. I am guessing right now that could be normal with the gears. I do have a question on their gitlab just to touch base with them.

So for right now the 5.10-rc1 kernel I posted above I am calling it good until I hear from the RPi people. I might even buy me a new mouse and see if I still have the issue. Or maybe something has changed with mesa and mesa-demos.

linux-rpi4 5.4.73-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.4.73-1
linux-rpi4-mainline 5.9.2-1
linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.9.2-1
raspberrypi-bootloader 20201029-1
raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20201029-1
1 Like

can you try 5.9.2 ‘vc4-kms-v3d’ can boot or not?
in 5.9.1 can not boot.

Upstream broke true vc4-kms-v3d @ kernel 5.4. The only way right now it will boot is if you install xf86-video-fbturbo-git and change the gpu_mem= from 64 to something like 320. You will not have V3D as a renderer though. It will be llvmpipe.

want 5.9 with VC4 patches set.
why you follow upstream not Rpi github?

He is following rpi github…
That’s the source in the PKGBUILDs.

1 Like