New PinePhone - No calls in any Distro

Hi Everyone…
Very happy with the new Pinephone. Manjaro KDE is great, just ironing out some small issues…

My biggest however is… Absolutely no phone calls possible either way. Im in the UK and have tried EE, 3 and O2 sim cards. They register and i get a signal bar. I can connect to data from the sim (shut off WiFi and I still get connection) - so i know something is working… I can call another phone and it rings. They can call me and the PinePhone rings… But nothing is heard from the loudspeaker or earphone…

I’ve tested the microphone - its recording on the voice recorder app. And the speaker plays out sounds - so i know the DIP switches are correctly set up on the back…

So any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Grape

1 Like

Did you update as one of the first things you did after you booted it?

Sorry, should have said… Yes, very strict update policy… Always before any software install and and always after a reboot/refresh etc… Thanks for reminding me…

I just used a SIM on my pinephone first time today and ear-/loudspeaker and mic work as expected in the first test calls. 4G only registered after I rebooted the phone, before it was 2G. I did no prior SIM-unlock, but that will be carrier dependant. This was using the latest beta with phosh.
After reading your post, I tried the older manjaro kde rc4 from June (not updated yet, I happen to have the image on the SD card and booted it for the first time). I could also receive and send a voice call. On the first call I could not hang up (touch/tap event did not register). Also, the modem lost carrier a few times during the short period I tested this. I know this does not give you much pointers, but wanted to share feedback for the test.

Hi Ion,
Actually thats really helpful as I used the latest download from Manjaro Phosh, KDE and now Ubuntu Touch… All I get is a quiet “buzzing” or “hum” from the earpiece/loudspeaker…
As i stated, I know the speaker and mic work as they have played music and recorded my voice!!

So I wonder why its just not working! #support
Thanks again …
Grape