New Pinephone modem possibly defective?

Just got my Pinephone a few week ago and spent time this weekend attempting to make it work, as in making a voice phone call. I have used atinout to set VoLTE settings and checked with provider for proper APN. When making a call the dialer immediately says “call ended”. The strength indicator/bars cycles between saying connected to network and not connected to network, intermittently.

Currently using latest stable Manjaro, but have also tried postmarketOS with same results.

Error messages intermittently say things like “Unable to request output GPIO 0” and “Modem is not ready to process any unsent/unreceived VVM messages.” and many others.

I’d like to find some simple way to test this phone before attempting to complete an RMA just to make sure I have done all I can before claiming it is defective.

Here’s an example of some of the errors in the log/journal associated with an attempt to make a call:
May 23 01:10:07 manjaro-arm vvmd[4009]: Enabling Visual Voicemail was not configured! Setting to FALSE.
May 23 01:10:07 manjaro-arm vvmd[4009]: No Default Modem Number was configured! Setting to NULL.
May 23 01:10:08 manjaro-arm vvmd[4009]: Unknown type of VVM service.
May 23 01:10:09 manjaro-arm vvmd[4009]: Modem is not ready to process any unsent/unreceived VVM messages.
May 23 01:10:16 manjaro-arm kernel: ov5640 3-004c: ov5640_set_ctrl_focus: can’t set focus when not powered
May 23 01:10:16 manjaro-arm pipewire-media-session[4236]: ms.mod.logind: : failed to start systemd logind monitor: -2 (No such file or directory)
May 23 01:10:17 manjaro-arm kernel: ov5640 3-004c: ov5640_set_ctrl_focus: can’t set focus when not powered
May 23 01:10:17 manjaro-arm kernel: ov5640 3-004c: ov5640_set_ctrl_focus: can’t set focus when not powered
May 23 01:10:17 manjaro-arm systemd-coredump[4250]: [🡕] Process 4231 (callaudiod) of user 1000 dumped core.

Basically, I would hope someone can help just confirm, as a sanity check, that the modem is defective, or point out some obvious mistake I have made.

install a second sd card with some other system …

Thanks for responding. This is a new SIM card, and I was on chat for hours yesterday with the carrier- they insist everything is OK with the SIM and their side. This is the second OS I’ve tried. A different carrier is not an option. But… maybe I can try my gf’s SIM card temporarily. Thanks.

I meant a second system on a different sd-card, did not mean sim-card.

I returned that unit to where I bought it (Ameridroid) and they deemed it defective and refunded me. I have now bought another one. The new one I now have working, though of course I will have questions. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.