New Mesa drivers

I have not run Kodi before but I would be interested, glad to give it a try.

1 Like

When starting chromium from a terminal, I see the following:

[2661:2661:1128/063821.114414:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:805 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: Could not load GLX entry point glXSwapIntervalEXT
[2661:2661:1128/063821.115357:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(773)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Could not load GLX entry point glXSwapIntervalEXT
[2661:2661:1128/063821.115758:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1322)] eglInitialize OpenGL failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED, trying next display type
[2661:2661:1128/063821.116459:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:805 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: Could not load GLX entry point glXSwapIntervalEXT
[2661:2661:1128/063821.116896:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(773)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Could not load GLX entry point glXSwapIntervalEXT
[2661:2661:1128/063821.117159:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1322)] eglInitialize OpenGLES failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[2661:2661:1128/063821.117448:ERROR:gl_initializer_linux_x11.cc(160)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[2661:2661:1128/063821.126292:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(150)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[2716:2716:1128/063821.245309:ERROR:vaapi_wrapper.cc(541)] vaInitialize failed: unknown libva error

So this likely explains the loss of opengl support in chromium.

Edit: I switched over to X11 but the same error.

1 Like

The kwin compositor crashes on startup with X11. Not a huge loss for me. I just notice the loss of shadowing. With Wayland it seems to run fine, so I am back to Wayland since Chromium opengl support is not working on X11 either.

Edit: And switching between X11 and Wayland does not seem to be smooth. I am not sure if it is related to the compositor issue or even if it is repeatable at this point. But I have needed to power cycle/reboot when switching.

Edit2: My desktop on wayland just crashed, so there is some instability.

@Darksky If you were wanting me to test on a 4k monitor, I don’t plan to be back in the office until Monday. I just have use of a 1080p atm.

And for the curious about Vulkan Gears, here is a screenshot. You may notice the gears are in a different orientation, this version lets you move them around.

1 Like

Might as well get a feel for kodi now so you do have to at work.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kodi-19-hevc-64-bit-rpi-4-test-packages/40293

I am following unstable and I modified my config.txt

I installed xf86-video-fbturbo-git

I had to roll back from mesa-git to mesa, as the git version always found v3dv. But I do have llvmpipe in Plasma on X11 now.

I installed the packages included in the tar via Ark by double clicking the four packages. They seemed to install without issue but maybe this is my error?

However, shift-ctl-f[1-8]? I usually use ctrl-alt-f[1-8] but neither work for me currently. So I changed from graphical to multi-user to run kodi. I ran kodi passing the mkv on the command line. Unfortunately, I did not get hw acceleration, so it stuttered.

You are right I typed the wrong sequence. I corrected the mistake. Try starting by opening up kodi and play from inside it. @spikerguy guy says his test was smooth.

I passed it on the command line because I could not find where to open the file from inside. It never showed up in the any of the file dialogs that I tried.

Edit: Btw, my sddm now has a Kodi session option… but login results returning to sddm.

I figured it out but still have SW rendering. The system info shows V3D 4.2 as the GPU.

If I take a look at Orphans, I see kodi-bin 18.9-1
I doubt that is the cause of SW rendering but it is interesting that it is installed and now shows as an orphan.

I loaded up my plasma install and CTRL-ALT-F2 does not work logged into plasma wayland but does work in regular plasma and at the graphical login screen. It did play the HEVC vid with HW decoding. I also had mesa-git installed and it was not an issue.

The only issue is I could never get back to the graphical screen with CTRL-ALT-F7.

1 Like

Ah, I was not paying enough attention, sorry. Kodi is failing to work with libva, same error as chrome. Sorry for not catching this earlier. I tried reinstalling libva, no change.

libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)

vainfo also throws the error. So I use strace and find this:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib/dri/vc4_drv_video.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
faccessat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib/dri/vc4_drv_video.so", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "vaInitialize failed with error c"..., 66vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit) = 66

This file does not exist on my system, I have /usr/lib/dri/vc4_dri.so

Which kernel are you on?
Also you seem to have mix kodi packages please remove all the kodi 18 packages first.

This is normal. It’s just trying it basically trying it and moving on. Mpv also goes this and maybe vlc.

It will not work in graphical mode.

Remove all kodi packages and reinstall my kodi 19 packages. The p8-platform package should stay there.

Thanks @spikerguy. I need to add some conflicts to the PKGBUILD.

I am running on the RC kernel and I have never installed kodi before. I will try to revert this kodi install but I need to fix my X11 first. It has issues at the moment, chrome is messed-up and displays like a candy cane… swirled, I can not see the systems settings window contents (all black).

If this libva issue is normal, I am lost at the moment as to what is wrong. I will keep looking into it.

OK, backing up a bit. I hate when things are not repeatable… and the first thing is the video driver.

$ cat /boot/config.txt

# See /boot/overlays/README for all available options

# firmware
#total_mem=4096
#gpu_mem=64
gpu_mem=320
arm_64bit=1
enable_gic=1

# overclocking
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2000
gpu_freq=750

# vc4
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d, cma-384
dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2
#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4

# display
disable_overscan=1
max_framebuffers=2
#hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

# sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

# bluetooth
dtoverlay=disable-bt

# os
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
kernel=kernel8.img

$ pacman -Ss mesa | grep installed

extra/glu 9.0.1-2 [installed]
extra/mesa-demos 8.4.0-4 [installed]
extra/mesa-git 21.0.0_devel.131403.5b77b14448c-1 [installed]

$ glxinfo | grep -i “OpenGL renderer”

OpenGL renderer string: V3D 4.2

I assume this should be llvmpipe since you specified that I install xf86-video-fbturbo-git. If I have mesa-git installed, it always finds the v3d driver. If I revert to mesa-20.2.3-1 and reboot, llvmpipe will be used.

If I understand @darksky correctly, this is not the behavior he experiences. llvmpipe will load for him with mesa-git installed.

If I “force” llvmpipe to load by rolling back the mesa version, I have X11 issues and kodi does not use HW acceleration.

As for kodi, I have never installed it before.

$ pacman -Ss kodi | grep installed

community/kodi-bin 18.9-1 [installed]
community/p8-platform 2.1.0.1-4 [installed]