New mechanical keyboard (GMMK) and meta key doesn't get detected by xev

So I’ve been using a Logitech g710+ since I switched to linux. I remapped it’s meta key to open Krunner.
And when i switched to my new keyboard (Glorius GMMK), I noticed that krunner wasn’t opening anymore. And when I run this command to check the keystrokes,
xev | awk -F'[ )]+' '/^KeyPress/ { a[NR+2] } NR in a { printf "%-3s %s\n", $5, $8 }'
i don’t see anything appear when I press that key (same with the menu/application key).
I wonder why this is happening.

Hi @Thibaultmol,

I have never worked with xev so cannot comment on that.

However, there is another, perhaps better perhaps not, way of monitoring key presses. As you know this can then be bound to shortcuts or actions. This is all executed in the terminal, by the way.

The first step is to identify the device you’re using and getting it’s id. this can be done with the xinput list command:

$ xinput list                                                                                                                                                                                                            
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ROCCAT ROCCAT Kone EMP Consumer Control   id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ROCCAT ROCCAT Kone EMP Mouse              id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ckb1: CORSAIR K68 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard vM       id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ GaminggearUhidMouse                       id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ GaminggearUhidMultimedia                  id=17   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ Sleep Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ ROCCAT ROCCAT Kone EMP System Control     id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ ROCCAT ROCCAT Kone EMP Consumer Control   id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ ROCCAT ROCCAT Kone EMP                    id=12   [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ ckb1: CORSAIR K68 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard vKB      id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ GaminggearUhidMultimedia                  id=18   [slave  keyboard (3)]
↳ GaminggearUhidKeyboard                    id=19   [slave  keyboard (3)]

Note: the Roccat keyboard listed here is no longer connected and I’m using a corsair keyboard, now. Then use xinput test to test the id of the key being pressed.

$ xinput test 14
fff ^C

$ xinput test 12                                                                                                                                                                                                       130 ↵
gg ^C

$ xinput test 5                                                                                                                                                                                                        130 ↵
gbgg^C

$ xinput test 13

key release 36
key press   44
jkey release 44
key press   44
jkey release 44
key press   44
jkey release 44
key press   37
key release 37
key press   37
key press   54
^C

As you can see, mine turned out to be the keyboard with id 13. You can feel free to experiment until you found the correct id.

You an then use that id to bind the key press to the custom action.

Hope this helps!

Thx for detailed explenation.
Xinput list gave me this:

[thibaultmol@Quinn ~]$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech G305                             id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SONiX USB DEVICE Consumer Control         id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ 3D Camera: eTronVideo                     id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Eee PC WMI hotkeys                        id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Logitech G305                             id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SONiX USB DEVICE                          id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SONiX USB DEVICE Keyboard                 id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SONiX USB DEVICE Consumer Control         id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SONiX USB DEVICE Wireless Radio Control   id=16   [slave  keyboard (3)]

The correct id is 10, but the windows/start/meta key and the application/menu key both don’t do anything on there either (other keys do register)

OKAY. SO. I figured it out. Turns out, I must have activated SOME keyboard shortcut that caused the windows key to be locked (following the manual, I couldn’t seem to get it unlocked). But factory resetting the keyboard did work. And now the meta key is properly being detected.

Thx for the help anyway @Mirdarthos , now I have atleast learned a neat tool to debug keyboard related things :thum

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.