New Manjaro i3 install with fractional scaling

Hi all,

I have a Huawei matebook 13 2020 with intel graphics and i5-10210U CPU. the screen is a 13inch with a resolution of 2160x1440. After searching a few references online it seems i have a DPI of 200PPI

I have been using manjaro KDE and did not have any issue with it. I decided to give sway a go (on arch) and since then I have been reinstalling all sorts of desktops on different platforms (out of boredom) snce the last 2 weeks.

I have to say the i3 version of Manjaro i3 is the best out of the box experience. I have a few questions for the experts here please.

1- To have the screen display usable I just set the DPI in the .Xresources file to 144 (apparently it works best with integer multiples of 96). Is this the correct way to scale? or should I set the DPI to 200 (which will give a x2 scale ish and then scale down ? It’s actually working quite well so I don’t kown what i am trying to fix here really.

2- how can i change the themes in all different apps? The i3 guys did a fantastic job with the themes in the different apps where the screen blends in quite well with the rest. i want to have a similar “effect” but with more contrast if possible (have a darker gray or balck and maybe change the green colour - no offence intended).

1 Like

My laptop has a 3200x1800 screen which I put Xft.dpi: 144 into ~/.Xresources, I haven’t had an issue with it been using it for around a year like that - I don’t think I changed anything else and the occasional app has a tiny border/menu… SweetHome3D comes to mind, which I think is java. My usual stuff is mostly fine from memory.

edit: I think steam doesn’t scale either, but I only use to launch so meh.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.