New M2 storage not bootable but detected after Manjaro instalation

I have Manjaro installed on a HDD.
Everything works perfectly.

Bought a new NVME M2 SSD , put it on my motherboard but also kept the old HDD connected.
Installed Manjaro on the new SSD.
The SSD doesn’t appear to be bootable in the motherboard options.
When entering Manjaro from the HDD I can see the SSD drive.

What I would want to have is basically boot Manjaro from the new SSD one and ignore the HDD one and just use it as storage even if Manjaro is also present on the HDD.

Here are the Manjaro installation options:

After being on my HDD Manjaro this is how the HDD filesystem looks using “Disks”

And this is how the SSD Manjaro filesystem looks:

And these are the BIOS options:

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

You can also use Maxi

to collect information about the boot process. This works,

• when you are in your running system (with CTRL+ALT+F2).
  • And also in a live environment

P.S.

Photos are not welcome here because they are not searchable and thus will not help anyone once the thread is resolved. It is also advisable to use the search function before asking the same question again :wink:

From the pictures, you installed Manjaro on the NVMe in Legacy (BIOS) mode, while your BIOS is set to boot your computer in EFI mode. You need to set it to boot in Legacy mode.

2 Likes

Here is the difference:

Your old HDD is a EFI Installation, therefore it visible at the UEFI Boot Loader at the UEFI Settings.

Your new SSD has been installed in legacy BIOS mode. Therefore: NO UEFI Boot Menu Entry.

3 Likes

Now I have entered the UEFI mode on the usb stick and made sure that it said EFI up left where you showed the first arrow and reinstalled Manjaro on the SSD.
The filesystem and everything looks identical now between the HDD and the SSD yet the SSD is still not available in the bios at booting options.

What does this show?

sudo parted -l

Model: ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 2097kB 317MB 315MB fat32 boot, esp
2 317MB 1000GB 1000GB ext4 root

Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 2097kB 317MB 315MB fat32 boot, esp
2 317MB 2000GB 2000GB ext4 root

efibootmgr -v

BootCurrent: 0005
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0005,0002,0001
Boot0001* HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 BBS(CDROM,0x0)AMBO
Boot0002* ST1000DM003-1ER162 BBS(HD,0x0)AMBO
Boot0005* UEFI OS HD(1,GPT,cbfe3bd8-e449-d148-8919-78c49790d9fb,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)

Can you disable any references to “legacy” or “CSM” or “compatible” or “compatibility” or “MBR”?

In your BIOS, see if the above two options can be set to a pure UEFI mode.

(Do not use any CSM or Legacy or Compatibility option.)

I have done like you said and it still didn’t show
But what did work is updating the BIOS to a prev version.
I updated the BIOS last year to the latest version but apparently that didn’t help with my current problem.
Now I updated to an older version and it works.

Thank you to everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.