New kernel for deepin

Hi¡ Today I updated a virtualbox with deepin. I noticed that it installed kernel 4.20 and updated the LTS that I had. My question is to know if it is something special related to deepin or if any new virtual box will install always the new kernel?. Sometimes on an antergos virtualbox the newer kernel doesn’t work and I have to choose the LTS. It’s not really a problem, just want to know if it has always been like this but I never noticed,
Thanks a lot

0 Likes

You mean when you installed the ISO it loaded with the 4.20 kernel running? If so I too would like to know why this happened as I was under the impression that ISO files only came preinstalled with LTS kernels. What is your output of the command mhwd-kernel -li?

0 Likes

Hi, I mean that today I updated, there were 300 packages as I had a problem with the charger and hadn’t used that notebook in a while. I thought I was using only 4.14 as LTS, but may be I had chosen another kernel when I installed, now I don’t remember. But I think I never installed 4.20, may be I am wrong and it was only updated?. Now I’m writing from my other notebook that has kde. I’ll check with the virtual deepin and copy the output. _
[jacqueline@jacqueline-pc ~]$ mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 4.20.7-1-MANJARO (linux420)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux414
  • linux420
0 Likes

It looks like you’re conflating a couple of things.

When you install Manjaro you get an LTS kernel series (currently 2019-02-11T00:00:00Z 4.19).

This kernel will be updated to newer versions of the same series (4.19.0 -> 4.19.1 -> 4.19.2) as part of the normal package update process.

Other kernels series will become available over time, for example 4.20. This is not installed automatically - you have to choose to install a newer kernel series.

Once a kernel is installed it will be updated as part of the normal package update process.

4.14.0 -> 4.14.1 -> 4.14.2 -> …
4.19.0 -> 4.19.1 -> 4.19.2 -> …
4.20.0 -> 4.20.1 -> 4.20.2 -> …

When a kernel stops being updated by the kernel developers it become “end of life” and so you have to remove it from your system yourself.

This is one reason Manjaro installs an LTS kernel by default as the kernel developers will maintain it for several years instead of months as is the case for standard releases.

6 Likes

Is it possible if I used architect that I chose the LTS and a current kernel too? May be that’s why I don’t remember, as I usually only use LTS in any virtual machine.
Thanks a lot for answering, if there is no possibility that it was an update from 4.18 or something like that to 4.20, similar to antergos, don’t worry it must be that I installed it but I don’t remember

0 Likes

I don’t remember if the architect installer would allow you install multiple kernels but I doubt it would (since you could physically only run one at a time) I’d suggest reinstalling your VM.

Edit: The above would help verify your concern about the architect install but if you just want to have the latest LTS kernel installed just do mhwd-kernel -i linux419 and reboot.

0 Likes

Yes. 

4 Likes

Why do it allow you to do that. That doesn’t sound like it would make sense since you can only run one at a time.

0 Likes

Architect gives you full control over the installation, and people quite regularly have both an LTS and the current release. I know I do. :wink:

(Actually, I have 4.14, 4.19, and 4.20. Just in case.)

2 Likes

Interesting. I guess that makes sense so you can be running the latest but have the LTS as a falback but how would you tell mhwd to switch from 4.20 to 4.19? By removing 4.20 from the installed list?

0 Likes

mhwd-kernel -i linux419
mhwd-kernel -r linux420
0 Likes

Wouldn’t you only need to run mhwd-kernel -r linux420 since the output of mhwd-kernel -li would be

• linux419
  • linux420
0 Likes

You ask for switch.

1 Like

yes but I’m assuming based on what I experienced in manjaro kde that mhwd would default to running whatever the latest kernel installed is. That’s why I figure you’d only need to remove the latest installed to have the system revert to the older one down the list of installed kernels. (which also why OPs machine was running linux420 instead of linux414 even though both were installed)

Edit: This must be the case because as far as I can tell it makes for mhwd to allow multiple kernels to be installed otherwise.

@jonathon

My apologies I realized your answer applies if you don’t already have both kernels installed.

0 Likes

closed #15

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes