New install with two home folders

I just did a fresh re-install, stable XFCE using the same / partition as the old one. I ticked the “reuse encrypted home folder” on calamares. The install went fine but I now have two home folders, one normal one, empty of course, from the install and the encrypted home folder (with all its contents) still on its partition. What happened? I obviously can re install or can I just make a symlink from the old encrypted home partition to my desktop?

Maybe related. See from here on

Yeah, I know about (because it happened to me yesterday) on my testing. which is why I reinstalled with stable because I just don’t have time to screw around waiting on a solution. But when I saw a fresh and empty home folder, I almost ■■■■ until I thought about checking file manager and saw the old home partition was still there intact. I’m a newbie so I presume that root and home are on the same partition…for some reason?

Well, I checked with Gparted and there isn’t a “home” partition except for the original encrypted one, so my question still remains…what do I do with this home folder that exists on my desktop which ISN’T the encrypted one?

cat /etc/fstab

Please post all terminal commands as text with code tags, (not as pics).

Information on how to properly post hardware specs and logs:

Please format any terminal output with three backticks before and after, as shown in this picture:

1 Like

I think you have to add the encrypted /home partition to fstab and the one that resides in the root partition aka / can be removed.
See here

1 Like

the system info is below:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/DQRi9r6JLFUEOBHOXYGt/

and the cat /etc/fstab is below:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/NWIE6Z0of9e41bfBpOLm/

You have two swap partitions from two different drives … in fstab
And i don’t see the encrypted /home anywhere

Take a look here. It’s sda3
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/IAZxMYIJqGy16UjrHAMh/

I have no idea how I got 2 swaps. I noticed that too.

Oh, looking at this is a bit above my head and i have to read more about to comprehend it and make sure i don’t give the bad advice
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/uuid-in-etc-fstab-for-luks-partition-4175425909/
Maybe we can call @sueridgepipe to the rescue, as i know he uses encryption and has extensive experience with all this.

And since it’s encrypted, I don’t have the slightest idea how to add the password part to an fstab so it automatically mounts…if it even gets added.

You add a .keyfile path to the /etc/crypttab
The link i provided has an extensive how to, but i can’t make a test right now, and i don’t fully understand it … From my part, it will take some time to make the test and sink in. Sorry i can’t help much further at this point.

Honestly I think the better option is to open your encrypted partition and copy its contents into your unencrypted /home directory.

sudo cryptsetup open /dev/sda3 home
sudo mount /dev/mapper/home [directory]
cp [directory] /home/[user]

Make sure your file permissions don’t get screwed up in the copy process (ie root owned).

This is an option?

Not really a good idea to use encryption if you have no idea how it actually works, great way to lose data or break a system.

First some info on your encrypted home partition

cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda3

You will need an entry in /etc/crypttab for your encrypted partition.

luks-home UUID="[UUID]" /crypto_keyfile.bin luks

Get your UUID for /dev/sda3 using sudo blkid.

If you keyfile doesn’t exist then remove it from crypttab.

To automount you need to add an entry into /etc/fstab

/dev/mapper/luks-home /home/[user] ext4 defaults, noatime 0 1

Obviously the file system type and mount options are specific to your system and preferences.

This is off the top of my head and may not work, bottom line is if you don’t understand encryption you probably shouldn’t be using it.

1 Like

So the actual problem was the systemd 241 cryptsetup bug on testing?

In that case just downgrade all systemd packages, or switch to stable and re-sync.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.