New install fails to update, invalid keys

Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <jan.steffens@ltnglobal.com>" is invalid
&
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

Installed from thumb-drive, seems to work otherwise

# pacman-key --refresh-keys
gpg: refreshing 136 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: General error
==> ERROR: A specified local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

can you choose another server gpg and retry ?

I’ve been trying to do an update all day and it just now worked with:

sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys -u --keyserver hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net

This is odd because I think the keyserver is the same as the one it defaults to anyway. So maybe it just started working or the pool referred me to a server that hasn’t been corrupted. There are other key servers mentioned here: SKS Keyservers: Overview of the pools

If you want to start from a fresh slate, try:
sudo rm -fr /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys -u --keyserver hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
sudo pacman -Syyuu

pacman had been throwing errors all day saying that signatures are invalid or corrupt or that download file size was incorrect and therefore file was assumed corrupt. Some of the time it doesn’t say there’s a problem but says that it cannot rename a downloaded package file from a temporary to permanent name.

All this on top of the problems with the Manjaro forum, and you’d almost think either Manjaro was under attack or that some folks messed up.

1 Like

I’ve just checked. While ‘sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys’ says it is using hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net, it gives the error ‘specified local key could not be updated’.

HOWEVER, when you use sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys --keyserver hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net (please note–copy and past here gives markdown formatting–you need to write things out as they appear, not as they copy) --then the command works without problems!

This is mighty odd and raises the question of whether, despite saying it is using hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net, the default command is actually using something else. Other things could be wrong as well, but this would be especially problematic.

1 Like

Success ~ also complicating the update & keys was a dead battery on mainboard and a power interruption.

Thank you for your support… … !