Network Manager and Broadcast

Hello,

I am using Manjaro on XFCE and what i notice is the network manager is in default broadcast mode I have tried to turn it off. now my sudo password is not working your OS is setting people up in the worst way.

There is now a user called Nobody. Is linux just for scams or is it for actual work.

Without you telling us what you did, we can’t even begin to guess on the cause of your problems.

That user has always existed in UNIX operating systems from the beginning. It’s a system account and it exists for a reason, such as when files become un-owned because the user account that owned them earlier is deleted from the system. The nobody user cannot log in and has no password.

It’s easy to judge what you do not know and do not understand. And having a Microsoft Windows mindset isn’t going to get you anywhere, because Microsoft Windows is the one operating system that has never behaved normally and has for decades refused to abide by internationally agreed-upon standards.

3 Likes

Hello, I am sorry for my approach because I was frustrated I am a UI Designer so every time I have a stable system on Linux I always see some strange ssh connections using Manjaro. I finally build the desktop I want and Bam I have to start all over, so understand my frustration. The system is wonderful to use, don’t get me wrong, but I have an issue with some explicit tools that can be used to penetrate phones and camera devices.

Why because Bluetooth keeps popping up and turning itself on, and it’s not me doing it. SUN RPC replacement installed etc. I don’t think people wanting a desktop are part of a team in a workplace where you would require backdoor access?

It is definitely more stable with a newer kernel. I started with windows yes, and I have had my fair share of disappointments but with windows you got the freeze but if you searched the files you will find your culprit but with the file system its replicated in different areas. I am now a Mac user but running behind with an iMac you need an up-to-date system as dual boot.

Obviously being in the content creative universe I am aware of copycats so I hate anything ssh please how do I remove it if it’s dependent on like a tool for seeing mounted drives isnt that ethically wrong, I will admit I panic and end up deleting all sorts of files in root. I was able to get around the issue. If someone connected their phone does that mean you have ssh access too?

I think most of these files like android dev, iPhone theme creator etc. should be an optional tick in the main installation. Especially for minimal installations. For example, it’s an issue to remove Bluetooth, they keep replicating themselves in root. I delete Bluetooth every day, it’s strange. If someone has installed a Bluetooth device in my computer behind my back, I want to be able to turn it off. Even opted for a minimal installation but we still get some funny programs like a logger that shows all you type in command my bad but is manjaro a spy distro?

Change the default browser that wouldn’t search or go to any pages. Perhaps you should offer a choice on installation.

Also deepin manjaro is terribly buggy cant even shut down so you see why ssh is dangerous ?

Issue the following two commands in a terminal window… :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl disable --now bluetooth && sudo systemctl mask bluetooth
sudo systemctl disable --now sshd && sudo mask sshd

This will disable Bluetooth and the sshd server and will mask them, so that nothing can start them again (unless you unmask them again first).

1 Like

Thank you so much this was very helpful however on restart some files do reappear like (pin entry )what could be doing that?

Also, there’s a program Avahi that I want to get rid of, but Thunar is dependent on it. Basically when you start up it goes straight to Avahi but i deleted the file so it cant connect as well as some file in etc pin entry but it reappears on restart.

What files would those be? :confused:

sudo systemctl --disable avahi && sudo systemctl mask avahi

It’s harmless, though. It’s for discovering services offered on the network, so that you don’t need to manually configure them.

Thank you so much, I love your operating system. Thank you. I know but when you have a camera and a mercedes benz its important to make sure theres no backdoor entry

its called /etc/ pin entry you see there’s a bank also connected to my Wi-Fi as available networks so I am just afraid someone is using my pc as a node to a bank. I panicked and have deleted ssh folder but its the first time since windows or mac than any operating system will have open ssh by default its usually something a user should activate or deactivate or even install.

They cannot do that without your consent.

really? thats awesome but with Avahi it was searching my network without my consent no where in the installation did it say hi we are installing a network browser. You see I have an older imac 12 or so years old now if i had wifi on it then they could connect to it via ssh or even ZSH… deleted that too

Have you actually looked to see what Avahi is?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/avahi

1 Like

zsh has nothing to do with remote connections. It’s your command-line shell in the graphical environment. The system shell outside of the GUI is bash.

1 Like

These are not comparable. zsh is a shell, nothing to do with ssh/networking.

1 Like

If you are concerned about unsolicited connections then I suggest you install a firewall such as firewalld then you can choose which services you want to allow access to your machine.

Service discovery on a local network but why would it be default installed. I know apple has bonjour etc but you see it goes back to what i said if i bought a used mac and they stuck a device in there avahi would allow for plug and play for them right?

For discovering devices such as networked printers etc.

1 Like

I have a firewall thats the interesting thing but this is explicitly installed apps or services that have a needed dependency that you cant get rid of without complicating things like gvfs is for plug in usb etc why does it have libssh and why cant you remove at least the ssh part

Woke up this morning and someone had gone into the source tab of firefox and Im like wtf it also installed ssh when i installed it via pacman.

Locally I have signed out of every browser I used and I dont use my main account for Linux

these codes Aragorn has provided are useful and will help me daily I will set it as an autostartup command

Ok I dont have a printer so its fine without it. My bluetooth was coming on …on its own so thats why I dot rid of it all I have an apple watch so my phone bluetooth will be on dont want any intrusions and spying on locations

You mustn’t use them that way. They are one-time-only commands.

Possibly a bug in Gnome (I use KDE). See Bluetooth Turns On Automatically After Reboot! - #6 by ishaanbhimwal

2 Likes

I am using XFCE I was wondering what KDE or Gnome is doing in there on minimal install?

OK thank you just in case it builds itself back up everytime I restart is why I wanted to add it