Network - authentication required will not accept password

Thanks.

In the end —

pamac remove --no-save samba
Error: target not found: samba

Hm?

The laptop was a different story than the above

==> Samba services should now be disabled. Reboot your system.
Removing samba (4.14.4-1)...                                               [3/3]
Running post-transaction hooks...
Reloading system manager configuration...                                  [1/2]
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                             [2/2]
Transaction successfully finished.'''
1 Like

Ok if anyone is still listening, stress has calmed around the house. I want to keep working a bit more on this issue.

I found that I can ping the router and sign into the router from Manjaro. But I can’t get into Windows 7 Home Premium

Computer name is Johns-desktop
Workgroup is JOHNS LINUX
The only folder I want access is the Public folder.

I haven’t had Samba sharing issues in years so I am stumped.

I don’t want to share files from Linux to Windows, I only want to read Windows/public from Manjaro.

In Windows the Public address folder is thus (two lines in front of JOHNS-DESKTOP
\JOHNS-DESKTOP - PUBLIC\Public

In Mint the network address is smb://johns-desktop/public/

I am!

But you’re not:

:man_shrugging:

Ha ha! You’re probably right that I’m not hearing ya! Since becoming my wife’s sole care giver I’ve been far out into out space.

I can go change that on Win7 but my question is why does every appliance from Kindle, to tablets, to Mint all handle the Win7 naming arrange but Manjaro won’t? That confuses me. What am I doing wrong with my two Manjaro distros?

I’m rolling over to that computer to change the name. Oops, that will be changed once a 194 page PDF is finished with OCR. Work stuff.

This is a picture of my Win7 Network and sharing.

I removed the space, rebooted win7, rebooted Manjaro and when I try to hit the Public it still will not accept me.

Error in some perl / Python / bash script: I avoid spaces in names altogether unless it’s for low-importance data files. so no host names, workgroup names, Bluetooth names, …

Please post the output of the command you’re doing this with. (no clicking as that doesn’t provide any meaningful error messages)

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The emoji says it all right now. Busy care giver day.

Did you mean the command to see the Win7 network?

Big bad thunderstorm storm on the horizon, I may lose power.

Sitting here waiting for the storm, I started looking at my pile of old laptops. Pulled out an old Acer Aspire 3680, actually found the power cord in the big box of cords. Started it and there was LMDE on it. Well it can hit the network and open the public files.

So I don’t know, am I chasing a ghost trying to find out why Manjaro won’t do it. I’m guessing it is possibly Manjaro’s security protocols.

And then I dug out a really old relic, an HP Pavillon zv5000. That thing is really old but it had Mint 17.3 running Mate. Fired it up, hit the network, put in my normal johns-desktop as use, then my usuall password and yep – it hit the network and I could open public files.

So yeah, I am chasing a Manjaro issue. So I am done trying to change my world to suit Manjaro. This is why Manjaro is never my number one go to that I can depend on. Manjaro is cool, great but then somehow it always gets broken. Cutting edge is great, that’s what is cool about it but dependable…that has never been my experience and that goes back through several versions (32 and 64 bit).

It was fun waking up those old laptops!

:man_shrugging:

I’m at it again before heading to another State for 2 months.

It is something with Manjaro - period. Perhaps it is the Samba version is newer and doesn’t like Win7 Professional, I don’t know. But everything from tablets, to phones, to other computers can hit the network, except for Manjaro. I’m trying to get into liking Manjaro but this network issue is the hurdle.

Could it be that Manjaro is more security minded and because I don’t have a windows password Manjaro won’t play with windows. But I do have a password on Windows for other computers that want to share the public folder on Windows.

Hm? Wonder what would happen if I have shared folders on a laptop that is running windows 10? I may experiment.

The longer you wait before replying, the less I remember about what the hell was going on with your particular problem, and the more I have to read again from the top as I respond to about 10-20 issues per day so I’m going to bail out from your issue at this point and wish you luck solving your specific issue…

:crossed_fingers:

P.S. You’ve got the record so far in replying late: 3 months is about what the system allows and you haven’t responded to half the questions I asked if I read again from the top… :sob:

Yeah I gave up for those months but yeah I looked back and think that I did try to answer your questions.

Next week stem cell transplant starts so this week was 40% free from running 110 mile round trips to the hospital so I thought I’d give it another go.

I think I finally gave up when these commands weren’t producing anything - I didn’t know how to structure what you needed. It is odd thing that this is happening.

Couldn’t chdir to /media/YourDirectory/: No such file or directory

Thanks for the help you did try to supply.