Network - authentication required will not accept password

None of the Manjaro installs on my computers will allow me to hit my Win7 network files whereas Mint will connect.

Manjaro will find the network, find the SMB portion but when authentication required and I get to the password part the password is rejected.

I’ve looked at the /etc/samba/smb.conf and see that it is different from what I have on Mint. I had to make changes in Mint and it was in Global. This works for me in Mint but not in Manjaro.

Any help is appreciated.

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    client max protocol = NT1
    SELECT ALL
#disable netbios = yes
    client min protocol = NT1
# server min protocol = NT1

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)`
  1. Is the output above the full /etc/samba/smb.conf on Manjaro?
    • If not, please provide the full contents.
  2. What is the compelling reason for you to set the MAX protocol to NT1??? :open_mouth:
  3. What is the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel set to on the server?
  4. What’s the output of smbclient --list=ServerIP --no-pass? (Where obviously, ServerIP is the server’s IP address?

:thinking:

I’ve placed ### over personal names of server files and public is the one allowed shared access on WIN 7

Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
	C$              Disk      Default share
	E               Disk      
	G               Disk      
	G$              Disk      Default share
	######          Disk      
	IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
	K               Disk      
	K$              Disk      Default share
	L$              Disk      Default share
	Medical invoices Disk      
	Music           Disk      
	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
	Public          Disk      
	Receipts        Disk      
	############    Disk      
	Timematters     Disk      
	Users           Disk      
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

I replaced my SMB.CONF with one that Manjaro built. My thinking was perhaps there was something in that smb.conf that was Mint only. Not sure why it would be but it is an smb.conf I’ve been using for years with Mint.

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 1000
   client min protocol = SMB2
   server role = standalone server
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = Bad Password
   usershare allow guests = yes
   name resolve order = lmhosts bcast host wins
   security = user
   guest account = nobody
   usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershare
   usershare max shares = 100
   usershare owner only = yes
   force create mode = 0070
   force directory mode = 0070

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   valid users = %S

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no

To answer this "What is the compelling reason for you to set the MAX protocol to NT1??? " I’d have to find the post in Mint that was from years ago but the smb.conf always worked with it so I never questioned. Maybe a WIN 7 thing???

I looked and “LmCompatibilityLevel” doesn’t even exist in my WIN 7 registry.

It just seems to be a password issue. Everything shows up but when I get to the authentication window and place the password, it isn’t accepted and I know it is the correct. The only difference is that on the Mint authentication I have to manually place johns-desktop into the user name in the box on authentication required

1. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.`

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

2. No need to do anything right now as I’m an editor here on this site and have fixed it for you already. However, in the future I might not see your post so review my edits by pushing the orange pencil above the post I just fixed. :wink:

3. Remove the entire MAX protocol from /etc/samba/smb.conf or comment away with a # as the first character.

4. Set the min protocol to SMB1

5. What is the Win7’s workgroup? If you don’t know: execute

nbtstat /c /n

on Win7 and correct in /etc/samba/smb.conf if not WORKGROUP

6. Are your user names on Windows and Linux identical?

Sorry about my incorrect syntax, I thought the quotes were the correct choice. I’ll try it with the backticks.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\John>nbtstat /c /n

Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.27] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    JOHNS-DESKTOP  <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    JOHNS-DESKTOP  <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    JOHNS LINUX    <00>  GROUP       Registered
    JOHNS LINUX    <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    JOHNS LINUX    <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

C:\Users\John>

User in Manjaro is john and in Windows it is John (do caps make a difference)?

1. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

2. No need to do anything right now as I’m an editor here on this site and have fixed it for you already. However, in the future I might not see your post so review my edits by pushing the orange pencil above the post I just fixed. :wink:

3. Remove spaces from the workgroup on W7 and add workgroup = JOHNSLINUX if your workgroup is that… (I’m a bit confused now: why is the W7 WGP called JOHNS LINUX??? :open_mouth: )

4. Yes, Linux is case-sensitive, Windows is not, so just to me sure, the username you fill in should be capitalised (as should the password)

5. Did any of the changes you made here have any effect or is the symptom still the same?

Years ago, many years ago I created that workgroup just to be accessed by my Linux machines and I thought it was an appropriate name.

So far none of the changes have made any difference. I’ll keep trying.

1 Like

I’m calling it a day and tomorrow I will try again. I have 7 computers, two are Win only; two are dual boot manjaro / mint and the rest are mint. The two Manjaro installs just won’t work with Windows 7 and I don’t know why.

1 Like

What is the output of:

mount -t cifs -o rw,guest,vers=1.0,noperm,sec=none //m.n.o.p/E /media/YourDirectory/

If that works stop there and provide the output, otherwise:

mount -t cifs -o rw,username=YourUID,password=YourPWD,domain=JOHNSLINUX,vers=1.0 //m.n.o.p/E /media/YourDirectory/

Where obviously:

• m.n.o.p is the Win7’s IP
  • YourUID = John???
  • YourPWD = Your user’s password on the Win7
  • YourDirectory is any directory under /media (create one if one doesn’t exist)

Maybe it’s because I haven’t finished my coffee but I couldn’t get any of the above to work correctly.

I’m in Mint and when I go to open a network this is the order
network:///
EPSONWF-3640
Windows Network

Click on Windows Network I get
smb:///
Johns Linux

Click on Johns linux and I get
smb://johns%20linux/
JOHNS-DESKTOP

Click on JOHNS-DESKTOP
smb://johns-desktop/
I get a list of folders but not all are available, all I’ve made available to read is Public

Click on public folder
smb://johns-desktop/public/
I see all the files

Now this is on Mint and when this was first set up on Mint I chose to remember password forever.

These are computers in my house (me and my wife) but located in different places in the house.

Wonder if the firewall on Win is keeping Manjaro out, all the other Mint set-ups may already be accepted. I’ll turn off Win firewall and see.

Please finish your :coffee: and execute the commands again and provide the output of said commands: clicking doesn’t help us unless it provides an error message.

:man_shrugging:

I made the folders on the C drive and this is what I get when I run the command

Couldn’t chdir to /media/YourDirectory/: No such file or directory
munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer

Manjaro finds the network but I can not authenticate.

My full computer name is
Johns-desktop

Workgroup is
JOHNS LINUX

I double checked the password that is saved in Seahorse

Seahorse details

Protocol: SMB
domain: WORKGROUP
Server: johns-desktop
User: johns-desktop

???

Sorry but I’ve given way too much time to trying to get this to work. I give up. Do I delete the post?

What was the final straw was this - I got on my 4 year old Samsung phone, used Cx File Explorer and could hit the network JOHNS-DESKTOP.

So I pulled out the old MacBook that is dual boot. Mint and Mac. I booted into Mint 20 and went to the Network. When the authentication screen opened I completed it and was taken to the Windows files.

So what conclusion can I come to? The two computers with Manjaro will not hit the network but every computer with Mint will do it. Conclusions to be made but perhaps it is a Samba issue?

Create a directory in /media EG:

sudo mkdir /media/win7

Please remove the space…

Ha - well if you’re sticking with it I can for a while longer.
I created the directory /media/win7
Ran the command and this is the error message below -

mount.cifs: permission denied: no match for /media/win7 found in /etc/fstab

Hm? I get a request for a password for drive E:

Password for root@//“my IP address”/E:

Can you post the command with its output?

Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

Busy day. Wife’s chemo, physical and occupational and physical therapist. I think I’ve decided that trying to get this to work for me is at the moment too much stress. So I’m going to pass on trying and maybe in the future samba install in Manjaro will work for me. It isn’t that big of a need, more of a want. I’ll just use Manjaro as I always have used it.

Thanks for all the ideas and help.

If you would be so kind to answer one more question I would appreciate it.

I know how to remove all instances of an install in the Deb world but if I wanted to purge all files and instances of Samba, what terminal command would I use? Maybe there is an incorrect something saved in an obscure samba file / cache, etc.

I won’t be sharing to windows, just from windows. Do I really need a full samba install to do that? Wouldn’t smbclient be all that is needed?

pamac remove --no-save samba

TL;DR: No.

Long version: There is no client-only samba package, so unless you roll up your sleeves and bring out the compiler and publish one yourself, you’ll have to install the server to get the client… :sob: