Needing kernel 3.18

Hello. I am writing because I want kernel 3.18 to compile on my manjaro Linux. I have trying compiling kernel downloading by (kernel that org) but when I am writing make command it gives a error. I can compile. I want to know if are there a webpage to download older kernels to download 3.18 exactly by his stability.

1 Like

Why do you need such an old and unsupported kernel?

2 Likes

I also wonder who/what/where/when/why

But leafing through release tags there is this:

1 Like

Thanks. Kernel is because my laptop with Intel atom have only 2gb ram. And with old kernel it run more fast.

This old kernel is not compatible with Manjaro, you already need a kernel >=5.3 (or the lowest what Manjaro can offer in the repos).

1 Like

I … dont know where to begin with that.
I really dont think that is advisable, and I really dont think you will see significant gains, let alone that I cannot really imagine what magnitude of speed would be required to convince me to use something so old/unsupported/unsecure … you do realize this will also negatively impact uncountable facets of compatibility, right?

If theres hardware requirements to consider … then … we must consider them, including whether this is the correct distro … but I dont know that this is a viable ‘solution’.

Eh … someone else do the talking.

1 Like

I was installing versión 4 kernel who gives kernel center of manjaro and ram was with 6 on 1gb and with versio 4 kernel 700. I want 3.18 official of Manjaro

There is no such thing. The oldest still supported kernel in Manjaro is 4.19 LTS, and even then still, that one won’t even work anymore with the current firmware. You need at least 5.4 LTS.

You says…: why install older or but my pc is so so slow. I was installing the lxqt desktop but gives error. I want lxqt who is faster on my pc but I can not install that too and on picture i want to give you error.

If you want help managing/improving your system then we can do that.
But you should begin with providing information, such as

inxi -Fazy

As to your problem there … I would suggest a different command, because you are not synced. Which is at least part of the problem.

PS.
‘used ram’ is not equal to speed.

1 Like

Please do not post screenshots, or even worse, photos of terminal output. Copy the text with the mouse and use the </> button in the toolbar in order to paste it into your post. Also, when posting error messages from a command when your system does not use English, prefix the command with LANG=C, like so… :point_down:

LANG=C pacman -Syu

Furthermore, the error messages you are posting have nothing to do with the kernel, nor with LXQt. They are errors about the conflict between pipewire and pulseaudio, and if you search the forum, you will find plenty of threads about that.

when i am compile it generate this error:

linux-3.18]$ make
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/asm/unistd_32_ia32.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/asm/unistd_64_x32.h
  SYSTBL  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/bin2c
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  UPD     include/config/kernel.release
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/clkdev.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/cputime.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/dma-contiguous.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/early_ioremap.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/mcs_spinlock.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/scatterlist.h
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      arch/x86/purgatory/purgatory.o
En el fichero incluido desde include/linux/compiler.h:54,
                 desde include/uapi/linux/stddef.h:1,
                 desde include/linux/stddef.h:4,
                 desde ./include/uapi/linux/posix_types.h:4,
                 desde include/uapi/linux/types.h:13,
                 desde include/linux/types.h:5,
                 desde arch/x86/purgatory/sha256.h:14,
                 desde arch/x86/purgatory/purgatory.c:13:
include/linux/compiler-gcc.h:106:1: error fatal: linux/compiler-gcc13.h: No existe el fichero o el directorio
  106 | #include gcc_header(__GNUC__)
      | ^~~~~
compilación terminada.
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:258: arch/x86/purgatory/purgatory.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/x86/Makefile:184: archprepare] Error 2
[juand@juan-intelpoweredclassmatepc linux-3.18]$

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

You must have missed the memo higher up. As several people have told you now, kernel 3.18 is not supported.

Please read through the following essay… :point_down:

I also have an Intel Atom with 2GB ram, maybe a lighter distro will do like AntiX Linux, Q4OS Linux, Puppy Linux (Slackware version is good) or Spiral Linux.
Not saying Manjaro is not good but at least 4GB ram is recommended for confortable use if I’m not mistaken (my main machine is a laptop with 4GB ram).

2 Likes

XY Problem detected: You’re asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem. This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

I used to have an ASUS EeeBook X205TA netbook with 2GB RAM. The kernel didn’t make any difference as far as performance.

No, sorry. 3.18 has been EOL (End Of Life) since 2017. As already mentioned, the current supported kernels are mention in every Announcements post.

Then please create a new support thread regarding that subject. Before you do, please see:

2 Likes