Need to debug with kernel command line boot options, but how?

I have had a sleep bug since the stable update on the 22nd August. My system gets stuck and resumes when trying to sleep sometimes. It means i often closed the lid of my computer and find its still running when i get up in the morning.

I need to use some of the kernel diagnostics but i have not been able to figure how, or get the advice on how to do it.

Im using this site Best practice to debug Linux* suspend/hibernate issues

It says to add kernel options like initcall_debug &/or ignore_loglevel to the kernel boot options.
I have added one of these options to /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf but i dont think it works, I can see an error in the logs after reboot that says.
06/09/2020 00:59 systemd[1] Failed to start Apply Kernel Variables.

So:-
How/where do i add these kernel options?
How do i test that they are working after i add them somewhere?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_parameters#GRUB

It does not, they do not belong there. Revert your edits.

1 Like

Ok, i have removed them.

I was following instruction Sleep on lid close is not suspending system I shall go back to trying that, thx.

Did you apply the kernel command line options via one of the methods described in the arch wiki link?

No i was following the chaps instruction on this thread who said to use /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf

I shall try with the method on the wiki.

Will try it tomorrow.

Ok, i decided to stay up just a little longer :slight_smile: i think its working now.

[greg-pc greg]# cat /proc/cmdline 
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 root=UUID=c0628b7a-2f31-4e76-9eef-6dda7407ac6f rw initcall_debug

Now i just need to figure how to search for relevant info after the next time the sleep cycle gets “jammed” and just resumes itself. What software or driver is causing the problem. I assume its a dmesg | grep or maybe journalctl im not sure but i am at least a little further on. Thank you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.