Need help with themes / theme consistency on LXQt

How do I actually install a theme on manjaro's LXQt? There is like, 6 different places to change individual elements of the DE: Openbox config, Widget/Qt Styles, GTK2/3 Themes, LXQt themes, Kvantum (?) And I don't know how to add new themes onto any of those.

Can anyone point me where to find/what path to install those elements so my desktop theme is consistent all around?

1 Like
  • The OpenBox configuration only applies to the OpenBox window manager, which you may not necessarily be using, because LXQt normally uses KWin as the window manager instead. OpenBox is the default window manager for LXDE, the GTK-based variant of the LX** desktop environments. The window manager styling either way pertains to the window decorations, i.e. the window borders, the window titlebars and the titlebar buttons.

• The Widget/Qt styles pertain to the look and feel of the panel, the panel menu and the desktop widgets, if you have any.

• GTK2/GTK3 themes only apply to GTK-based applications, because GTK is a different widget toolkit to the native Qt widget toolkit used in LXQt, and it looks and behaves very differently too.

• LXQt themes are the generic themes for what the applications themselves will look like, unrelated to the window decorations. However, as explained in the paragraph here-above, GTK applications have a mind of their own and need to be configured via the GTK2/GTK3 theme section.

• Kvantum is a Qt-based theme engine which uses scalable vector graphics. If you select Kvantum as the style, then you must use Kvantum-specific themes, which you can download from store.kde.org, although the repository also carries a few Kvantum themes already, and the Kvantum Manager has a default theme in it already.

I hope the above answers your questions. :slight_smile:

Creating a consistent theming across the toolkits GTK/QT is quite difficult.

As you have spotted it is spread over different tools - even openbox has it's own theming which only applies to the root menu and the window decorations.

Only a few themes has been adapted to look fairly consistent with both toolkits.

Kvantum manages themes for Qt applications and the Matcha theme has been ported to Kvantum - it is not perfect but at the moment the only theme which is fairly consistent.

The mix of toolkits is a necessary evil as not every application is available for a single toolkit - which makes maintaining theming a pain.

This is not entirely correct - you can use kwin - but the the lxde/lxqt developers use openbox.

@Librewish has created a lxqt spinoff using kwin window manager .

1 Like

Then I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the definitions. I already knew most of them, though; I was asking just how to apply/find themes on each one.

So far, I know how to change:

• Openbox window decorations
  • Widget/Qt styles
  • GTK 2/3 themes
  • LXQt themes

But I do not know how to install or find themes for these elements. That's what I'm asking.

1 Like

Well, I've told you where to get Kvantum themes, and that the repo carries a couple of them already, but other than that, you will also find many regular Qt and GTK themes in the repos, and you will see their effects when you apply them.

As @linux-aarhus said, it is very difficult to find a combination of themes that would be consistent across Qt and GTK. The Manjaro-native Breath theme ─ which exists for both widget toolkits ─ comes close, but it's not exactly perfect, and a lot of that has to do with the (quite significant) differences, both in how Qt and GTK were designed respectively, and the more restrictive mindset of the GTK developers versus the more flexible mindset of the Qt developers.

For the themes in the repo, you can use your package manager. Just look through the different sections. :wink:

3 Likes

Hm... So getting consistency between Qt/GTK will be the most difficult part, I see. I was looking for the Breath theme and downloaded it from Pamac, but I see no way to apply it?

My objective is to have the same theme (or same equivalent) on the Win. Deco., panel and applications, replicating the look of manjaro's KDE, which I dig a lot.

@linux-aarhus links comes close to a "solution" so I'll mark the comment as such. Thanks guys.

1 Like

You may need to log out and back in before it shows up in the selection list. I'm not sure exactly, but it's quite common. :thinking:

Step one is to make the themes available.

Common locations are listed below. Note that KDE has different locations I do not know.

• /usr/share/themes
  • ~/.local/share/themes
  • ~/.themes

Sample files from my Openbox installation

lxappearance

~/.gtkrc-2.0
# DO NOT EDIT! This file will be overwritten by LXAppearance.
# Any customization should be done in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine instead.

include "/home/manjaro/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"
gtk-theme-name="Matcha-dark-sea"
gtk-icon-theme-name="Papirus-Dark-Maia"
gtk-font-name="Roboto 10"
gtk-cursor-theme-name="xcursor-breeze"
gtk-cursor-theme-size=24
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle="hintfull"
gtk-xft-rgba="rgb"

xfce4-appearance-settings

~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Matcha-dark-sea
gtk-icon-theme-name=Papirus-Dark-Maia
gtk-font-name=Roboto 10
gtk-cursor-theme-name=xcursor-breeze
gtk-cursor-theme-size=24
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintfull
gtk-xft-rgba=rgb

qt5ct

~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf
[Appearance]
color_scheme_path=/usr/share/qt5ct/colors/airy.conf
custom_palette=false
icon_theme=Papirus-Dark
standard_dialogs=gtk3
style=kvantum-dark

kvantummanager

~/.config/Kvantum/kvantum.kvconfig
[General]
theme=Matcha-Dark

obconf

~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
  <theme>
    <name>Manjaro-Openbox-Matcha-dark-sea</name>
    <titleLayout>NLIMC</titleLayout>
    <keepBorder>yes</keepBorder>
    <animateIconify>yes</animateIconify>
    <font place="ActiveWindow">
      <name>Roboto</name>
      <size>11</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Normal</slant>
    </font>
    <font place="InactiveWindow">
      <name>Roboto</name>
      <size>11</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Italic</slant>
    </font>
    <font place="MenuHeader">
      <name>Roboto</name>
      <size>11</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Normal</slant>
    </font>
    <font place="MenuItem">
      <name>Roboto</name>
      <size>10</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Normal</slant>
    </font>
    <font place="ActiveOnScreenDisplay">
      <name>Roboto</name>
      <size>10</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Normal</slant>
    </font>
    <font place="InactiveOnScreenDisplay">
      <name>Roboto</name>
      <size>10</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Normal</slant>
    </font>
  </theme>
3 Likes

Regarding GTK themes, they can be used for Openbox (window manager) only if they contain a folder called openbox-3 in the theme directory.

If the breath theme you downloaded is gtk-theme-breath, it can't be used for that purpose, as it doesn't contain the necessary folder/files for Openbox.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by