Need help with the most recent update

Hello all!
total noob to linux. Im running manjaro plasma and attempted to update a few days ago and am met with the following error on boot screen:
error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-6.0-rt-x86_64’ not found
error: you need to load the kernel first.

The good news is I was able to boot back in with another kernel i had installed (5.15.146)
Issue is I run sudo pacman -Syyu and -Syu and it says im all up date and wont update anymore. Ive also installed the newer kernels but I dont seem able to load them

I apologize if my technical knowledge is sub par and if I used the wrong terms
Any idea what I should do from here?

Then you shouldn’t be using Manjaro.

That kernel is 1. old and 2. RT, which I’m sure you don’t need and should be uninstalled. (Well it kinda already is.)

As mentioned install another kernel, e.g. 6.6 via manjaro-chroot and fix your probably interrupted update.

1 Like

Install another, still supported 6.x series kernel, if you want. 6.0 has been EOL for over a year already. Basically always keep one LTS kernel for a safe fallback.

so i installed another kernel through the system settings on manjaro. I installed 6.6.10. Im able to boot the OS and use it but only under the 5.15.146 kernel. Do i still need to do the chroot method to update?

How do i boot the system with the newer kernel? I have a newer one I downloaded but whenever I start my computer it defaults to the older kernel

got a desktop from minisforum and it just came with manjaro. Any recommended video series, books, or online courses to familiarize myself with linux a bit more

If installation is finished normally, it should by default boot the newest. Otherwise, you can confirm by running sudo update-grub, it should list all available kernel options. The command is safe to be run again and again, it’s idempotent.

says command not found

It used to be included by default.
You can install it if you want.

sudo pacman -Syu update-grub

Or you can run the command equivalent.

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

It’s no longer now? Then who will update grub in case of kernel updates?

As shown above, or by looking at your own version ( cat $(which update-grub) ), its roughly the same as

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

So its really not very important.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.