Need help with D Link DWA 131 E1G

Just installed Manjaro on my PC and I'm running into a problem, my WiFi dongle gets recognized and it shows some connections but when I try to connect to one it says "Configuring Interface" for 15 seconds and then fails.

I'm pretty new to Manjaro and Linux in general. The dongle in questions is D Link DWA 131 revision E1G. I've ran sudo pacman -Syyu using USB network tethering from my phone and it did some updates but I'm still not able to use the dongle.

Hello there! Try installing rtl8192eu from the AUR

Okay but how do I actually do that? Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie but I really am!

Yeah no worries, question what flavor of Manjaro do you have? KDE? XFCE? Gnome?

Try

1 Like

KDE, thanks!

If you haven't already, I recommend you to install Pamac so it's easier for you in the future to install stuff from the AUR, just go to Octopi, search up pamac and install pamac-gtk, just go to transaction and commit once you right clicked pamac-gtk and hit install

Once thats done, launch pamac, click the little three arrows on the top right

Go to preferences

Go to the AUR tab

And enable AUR support

Click close

Now you can search for stuff that is in the AUR with a GUI

Ok so I did all of that and installed rtl8192eu, rebooted and it's the same. I don't know if this is a common problem or if I'm doing something wrong here.

This is the procedure I would recommend to install the 8192eu driver.

Install the linux headers package for your kernel.

The following command will install the linux-headers automatically for all installed kernels:

sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Qsq "^linux" | grep "^linux[0-9]*[-rt]*$" | awk '{print $1"-headers"}' ORS=' ')

*credit @dalto for the command

Install the driver dependencies:

sudo pacman -S dkms git

A blacklist file must be also generated to block the loading of the kernel modules at startup.

The following command will automatically generate "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" with the correct blacklist entry:

sudo echo -e "blacklist rtl8xxxu" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Uninstall any wifi drivers that were previously installed.

Then restart.

If you do not already have AUR support enabled on your system then install pamac-cli.

sudo pacman -S pamac-cli

Install 1 or the other of these 2 AUR drivers:

pamac build 8192eu-dkms

or

pamac build rtl8192eu-git

After either the 8192eu-dkms or the rtl8192eu-git driver is installed, reboot.

Hopefully your 8192eu driver is now working after restarting.

If you can't get the "rtl8192eu-git" driver to install (or work correctly) uninstall it, and try installing the alternate drivers from the AUR:

8192eu-dkms

or

rtl8192eu
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by