Need a Different Start Menu/App Launchers

Hi,

I initially installed a while ago Manjaro KDE, then recently installed LXQT and I am happy with its performance though I am still running the KDE apps under LXQT (like Dolphin file manager, K3B,…)

The only thing for now I am trying to do is change the start menu to be something like Kickoff, the start menu of KDE as I like the search box and it searches for both files and apps.

Unfortunately, I am not that expert with LXQT, just a few days!

Any suggestions or guidance highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
EDIT: Are LXDE menus or apps ok with LXQT?

Did you install LXQT under a different user?

If not, please read this:

Especially the Linux has multiple GUIs section and then backup your data and reinstall.

:sob:

Well, I just installed it. Same user!

Ok! I see from your link

I really didn’t expect it is that disastrous.

Well, how then I can work on the same data in 2 different DE? Is there a way?

I just reinstalled and will see if KDE works smoothly after the updates because previously - you might see my post- it was unresponsive.

If not I will install LXQT under a DIFFERENT USER.

EDIT: This time I booted the flash disk with the opensource drivers! I hope it will make it better. Do you think it is better. What caused me to go LXQT was KDE was so unresponsive! Would opensource drivers make it better?

Make both users a member of the same group and create a common home directory for both and symlink Documents, Videos, … to the common directory.

For more information on managing users, groups and their rights, read this

:crossed_fingers:

OK. Just to double check and be sure I wont mess it up again (as I am usually doing :laughing:)

IF I install LXQT I should create the new user under LXQT not within KDE?

I’m not sure I know enough about users same group :woozy_face:. Never had more than one user on any system!

That doesn’t matter. It uses the same command: useradd

Just create a user for each Desktop Environment (DE) and avoid using the KDE user to login into Lxqt DE and vice versa.

1 Like

I believe I read the related part and I even quoted what you mentioned there :confused:

Well would the opensource drivers and updates make it better and not run into responsiveness issue again?

I see in your profile you are on KDE. Any issues with it? any recommendations?
I prefer KDE in general, the only thing was that issue of responsiveness.

Well, megavolt gave a more useful answer a few seconds before I gave my less useful answer (now deleted) :grin:

On the other questions: Please read the entire N00b tutorial because no one can answer these questions but you as it depends on how you manage your system more than the actual hardware of your system (within reasonable limits: a 2GB RAM, 100HB 5000 RPM HDD system will be slower than a 1TB RAM and 1 Exabyte of RAID 0+1 NVMes, obviously…)

I don’t think so. If you distinguish between open source and proprietary then i assume that you use nvidia…

Read this for example:

1 Like

Nop, its Intel

CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3210M bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 cache: L2: 3 MiB 
           flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 19962 
           Speed: 1396 MHz min/max: 1200/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1396 2: 1396 3: 1210 4: 1594 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           chip-ID: 8086:0166 class-ID: 0300 
           Device-2: Acer Lenovo Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-1.5:5 chip-ID: 5986:0294 
           class-ID: 0e02 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: intel unloaded: modesetting 
           alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 21.1.6 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:1e20 class-ID: 0403 
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.13.11-1-MANJARO running: yes 
           Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no 
           Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes 
           Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.33 running: yes 
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: wl v: kernel port: efa0 bus-ID: 02:00.0 
           chip-ID: 14e4:4727 class-ID: 0280 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 08:ed:b9:97:27:0f 
           Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet vendor: Lenovo driver: alx v: kernel port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           chip-ID: 1969:1090 class-ID: 0200 
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: f0:de:f1:fd:53:97 

So, what you think? Still would open source better than proprietary?
Any special things to do or not to do to keep my KDE responsive?

There is no proprietary driver for intel at all. Everything there is open source for linux.

I would rather think that the Intel GPU is too weak for KDEs fancy effects with opengl. Maybe you get a better performance when changing the effects to xrender (instead opengl) which would be then CPU only rendering.

3 Likes

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

1 Like

OK. If you see this would be better I don’t mind.
What to do exactly? ELI5 :wink:

Desktop Effects Performance - KDE UserBase Wiki

OK! Just changed from oengl to xrenderer :crossed_fingers:
Will reboot and see? Anything else you suggest I do (or don’t do)?

Don’t ask multiple question in… well… one question! We promise we won’t charge you more :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: if you create separate topics for each separate question!

:joy:

Just in case :rofl:

I’m an old man, long ago the used to tell us at school:

• be precise
  • don’t miss or ignore a simple tiny thing.
  • pay attention to details.
  • And look at the whole picture (a birds eye view ) while paying attention to details! :angry:
    They tortured us!
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think it should go smoothly after changing to xrenderer.
Ok. Just one question. (I’m trying to get the most out of you guys, you are much experienced than me)
Anything else you suggest me to do?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.